Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: why can't windows 7 access network shares?  (Read 1912 times)

Description:

Offline amigakid

• Show all replies
Re: why can't windows 7 access network shares?
« on: August 31, 2010, 04:49:52 AM »
Vista and 7 doesn't use network in the same way as XP and below, nor is the command line the exact same.  You will need to "downgrade" 7 to use NTLMv1. To change Windows to use NTLMv1 perform the following:
Start > Run > secpol.msc
Local Policies > Security Options > Network Security LAN Manager authenticatioin level
Select Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated
Let me know if there is any thing else.

Offline amigakid

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 07:12:43 AM »
Actually it was a rewrite of the OS Kernal that started in Vista.  Windows 7 is totally different from XP and below.  XP was very nice, but still running off of a OS structure that was  10+ yrs old.  Windows 7 is a built up from 3.1 type OS and as such will be different from the earlier versions.  Windows 7 is actually very nice, expecially in comparison to Vista.  The changes are harder for old timers like us who have used XP and below for so long, and used to the old interface.  Windows 7 also utalizes Hardware a lot better than XP or Vista and there are a lot more features within 7 that go well beyond just the basic users knowledge.  Don't get me wrong XP was prob one of MS best OSes and is still one of the most popular, but it is dated and 10 yrs old.  You can only ride on that architecture for so long before you have to start over again.

@damagemax - Thanks not used to working on Home editions, but guess I should have asked first :)

Offline amigakid

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 01:59:46 AM »
Yes it is frustrating for someone who is so used to how XP was then they goto Windows 7, it took me a while, but as I was a beta tester I had a year of using it prior to it being available to the general public.  It was like when office 07 came out and those so used to 2003 had a hard time with the tab system instead of the drop downs.  I didnt like it at first, but as I used it more and got more efficient with it I see how it actually works better, but thats just my opinion and of course there are a few things I changed in 7 to match XP like my file and folder displays and control panel ect cause I was much more used to it that way and could navigate faster that way.  Well have fun:)