Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sonnet crescendo 7200 and OS4.1  (Read 17738 times)

Description:

Offline amiadudeorwat

Re: Sonnet crescendo 7200 and OS4.1
« on: May 06, 2018, 07:09:04 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;839019
I've seen a few, but the majority needed to be repaired.
Currently I don't own an Amiga with a PCI expansion bus.

But I'd assume that anyone with a 4000 with a mediator would be a possible candidate, so I'd assume its more than "1 or 2".

Exploring using the card isn't something we can vote on, the team working on it wants to use it, so its getting done.

My basic question was could it be used for something more than WarpOS packages, since there are only a few of those.

Personally, if a new PPC board for legacy Amigas was created, I'd rather have something that fits in the processor slot and has access to the chipset.

An A4000 equipped with a 1GHz G4 would be very competitive with some AmigaOne's and it would be able to run software that hits hardware directly.
Add a mediator and an RTG card and you've got a legacy system that is as powerful as an AmigaOne, but retains register level compatibility.

The fast access to Voodoo graphics memory would be lost with an A4000 accelerator slot unless someone also built a GREX like replacement PCI busboard.

Offline amiadudeorwat

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 11:51:25 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;839027
Fast? Funny, I never thought of 33 MHz as fast, but I see your point, faster than accessing the PCI bus through some bridge.
And it would be nice to have support for something faster than a Voodoo3.
Would a Voodoo 4 4500 work?

As I understand it the Sonnet or Rapture can write to the Voodoo or Radeon graphics memory directly bypassing Zorro and Buster, so it is much faster than getting data from the accelerator slot.  33 MHz PCI gets 133MB/s compared to the typical 10-14MB/s Zorro-3 allows, on a good day.  I don't know what sort of speed the Sonnet gets but from some of the applications that run at the framerates they run it is at least 30MB/s.  

From what I've read on the EAB thread, Voodoo 4 works but the Elbox driver doesn't support Big Endian modes so some applications don't work or have wrong colors.

Offline amiadudeorwat

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 02:40:51 AM »
Since the forums have been down the SonnetAmiga project has added support for two other PPC cards. 
Ragnarok which is a PowerPC 750FX 800Mhz 256MB
KillerNIC K1 and M1 which is an MPC8383 333MHz and 400MHz 64MB