Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sonnet crescendo 7200 and OS4.1  (Read 17862 times)

Description:

Offline IggyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: Sonnet crescendo 7200 and OS4.1
« Reply #134 from previous page: May 16, 2018, 10:19:05 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;839434
ah.. maybe i misunderstood, you mean something like anubis, arix or amithlon? or that kind of amigaos on linux kernel people are fantasizing about? obviously not. otherwise it would be widely known.

you can probably though strip down your linux host to get out of the way as far as possible. except for packages and tools needed for compilation, but then it can all be done from bash shell.

YES, that is exactly what I was thinking! But that could be a future goal. First get it up and running under Debian, and then figure out what can be jettisoned.

Considering the kernel is up to date, it might be possible to keep the underlying distro up to date.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #135 on: May 16, 2018, 10:37:50 PM »
arent you derailing your own thread now?

« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2018, 12:10:17 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;839437
arent you derailing your own thread now?

Possibly...or I'm deferring to good advice. :)
You've made some good points, and like I said before, it will be...fun.

And isn't that what hacking is about, challenges, experimentation, pushing the boundaries?

And in the end, we're still discussing PPCs.

Let's just see what kind of port we have ready by the end of the Summer.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2018, 12:56:39 AM »
btw, this platform stuff eveb if folded out linearly in one dir is hierarchical, so sam ppc target may and pprobably will pull headers from ppc-all.

good luck and keep posted.

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2018, 01:36:59 AM »
@wawrzon

who is the current maintainer for the PPC platform? if it's possible, i'd love to try booting AROS on my X5K, but am not familiar with doing this with our u-boot firmware. can you recommend anyone?

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2018, 02:12:19 AM »
Quote from: eliyahu;839443
@wawrzon

who is the current maintainer for the PPC platform? if it's possible, i'd love to try booting AROS on my X5K, but am not familiar with doing this with our u-boot firmware. can you recommend anyone?

-- eliyahu

there aint actually any current maintainer for ppc. you could best register on aros-exec as iggy did, or even dev-ml. zoltan balaton who adds sam boards support to qemu and updated aros sam target visits the later. he is also in contact with tlsom from aw.net.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2018, 02:26:02 AM »
according to
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Aros/Platforms/Arm_Raspberry_Pi_support
rpi uses u-boot, so native aros must or must have been working with this.
as far as i see raspi-armhf nightly is still building in abi-v0 section. so the code might not be totally outdated. it everntually might need some changes, if you were inclined to compile abi-v1, which should imho be preferred default on any new platform.
the reason why im bringing up an arm device in ppc context is, that maybe bootstrap code could be borrowed from there with some endian fixes and such.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2018, 02:34:56 AM »
in fact ppc supporters would be quite welcome, as far as im concerned. i have made some progress compiling deadwoods latest odyssey source within aros toolchain. x86 works as expected. i have ppc compile untested (im rather sceptical if it will run and stable) and im two missing atomic functions away from linking an m68k executable(which i kinda know, will crash). but nevertheless it would be nice to have active ppc testers and contributors. the work could eventually improve also os4 situation.

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #142 on: May 17, 2018, 03:35:37 AM »
@wawrzon

thanks for the tips. i'll go ahead and follow-up on this. i'd love it if my X5K could boot AOS4, MOS, AROS, and linux.

-- eliyahu

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #143 on: May 17, 2018, 03:41:38 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;839435
And the AROS development community really has it's act together. Using an SVN server is particularly neat.

I'm not quite sure what to make of that statement. Do you think the other operating system camps don't use version control or something* ?

*that said, the Linux kernel was maintained at one point as a bunch of tarballs. Torvalds invented git because he didn't feel svn was suitable. Having used CVS ans SVN for longer than I can remember, git feels weird to me, but I'm getting there.
int p; // A

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #144 on: May 17, 2018, 09:27:35 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;839448
Do you think the other operating system camps don't use version control or something* ?
that would actually be mandatory, but as they are closed its a bit hard to guess how it looks like. with os4, since apparently there are distinct individuals who actually own their code, which is part of the os, it might well be, that this code isnt hosted in a common repo, but only binaries are being delivered for a release. sounds bothersome to maintain, but would explain, why it is so hard to gather and deliver an update, even if some issues have been fixed and tested for years, as some members claim. similarly thor has complained, that it was a long way to get at least majority of os components building within one build system.

one way or the other. i cant actually tell as im not involved. with aros the particular bauty is, that you can actually compile the whole os, contributions and many ports with just configure and make. yu just Need to choose the supported platforms and your desired flags.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #145 on: May 17, 2018, 10:45:50 AM »
Having had access to the source repository in the past, I can confirm that the OS4 sources are maintained under version control. There really is no alternative when working on projects that size.

I was just bemused by Iggy's statement which made it sound like version control was some sort of revelation that only the AROS team used.
int p; // A

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #146 on: May 17, 2018, 11:17:14 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;839454
Having had access to the source repository in the past, I can confirm that the OS4 sources are maintained under version control. There really is no alternative when working on projects that size.

I was just bemused by Iggy's statement which made it sound like version control was some sort of revelation that only the AROS team used.

Yes, i imagine. Perhaps this is the whole reason for nda, as obligation towards individual developers. Dont disclose too much btw.

« Reply #147 on: May 17, 2018, 03:07:54 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;839443
@wawrzon

-- eliyahu

I'd love to hear about that as I intend to buy an X5000, but I'm holding out for the X5000/40.
And my initial interest was in running MorphOS on that, but eventually MorphOS will transition to X64.
Also, I don't have that much interest in Amiga OS4, and AROS did provide some of the initial code to build MorphOS.

Finally, this OS is open and allows the users to participate in its development.
As a hacker since the '70s I find that appealing.

Warzon, eliyahu, lou, again, thanks for the inspiration.
Oh and one more target (two actually) I'd like to look at, iBook and PowerBook laptops.

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #148 on: May 17, 2018, 04:50:56 PM »
@Iggy

if i get it going, i'll post instructions here on amiga.org for others to follow. :)

-- eliyahu

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #149 on: May 17, 2018, 06:20:38 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;839448
I'm not quite sure what to make of that statement. Do you think the other operating system camps don't use version control or something* ?

*that said, the Linux kernel was maintained at one point as a bunch of tarballs. Torvalds invented git because he didn't feel svn was suitable. Having used CVS ans SVN for longer than I can remember, git feels weird to me, but I'm getting there.

Having recently switch from SVN to GIT at work,  I would never want to go back. Especially if using Gitflow.  

Branching, merging etc is so cheap in Git

Edit:  Can i recommend SourceTree when dealing with Git repos, makes everything super easy
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 06:23:11 PM by JJ »
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"