Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sonnet crescendo 7200 and OS4.1  (Read 17730 times)

Description:

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
Re: Sonnet crescendo 7200 and OS4.1
« Reply #149 from previous page: May 17, 2018, 06:20:38 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;839448
I'm not quite sure what to make of that statement. Do you think the other operating system camps don't use version control or something* ?

*that said, the Linux kernel was maintained at one point as a bunch of tarballs. Torvalds invented git because he didn't feel svn was suitable. Having used CVS ans SVN for longer than I can remember, git feels weird to me, but I'm getting there.

Having recently switch from SVN to GIT at work,  I would never want to go back. Especially if using Gitflow.  

Branching, merging etc is so cheap in Git

Edit:  Can i recommend SourceTree when dealing with Git repos, makes everything super easy
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 06:23:11 PM by JJ »
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline IggyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #150 on: May 17, 2018, 06:56:19 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;839461
@Iggy

if i get it going, i'll post instructions here on amiga.org for others to follow. :)

-- eliyahu

Cool, um, I'm going to post this on a separate thread, but on the idea of open platforms, Raptor Engineering is planning on producing a reduced cost single cpu version of their Power 9 based TalosII board.
With a four core/sixteen thread processor this board is priced at less than $100 more than an X5000, or in other words its LESS than the price the X1000 sold for.

For a faster system, with a processor that can run either big endian or little endian code (or both) solving our issue with endian problems like the webkit port of Odyssey. And a four core Power 9 cpu can run 16 simultaneous threads, compared to the A1222 or X5000's two (or in the case of the still unavailable X5000/40, four thread, still one fourth at a slower speed).

At a little more than 2 grand with a Radeon HD 5850, some DDR4 and a hard drive, its not cheap, but its not significantly more than Aeon's best.

I might have to buy one and shift to working primarily with Linux hosted AROS.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #151 on: May 17, 2018, 07:18:09 PM »
Yeah, git is fine. It just takes a while to get used to the non centralised approach. Almost all the criticisms I've seen levelled at svn over the years seem to be self inflicted problems but I agree, git is so flexible in comparison.
int p; // A

« Reply #152 on: May 18, 2018, 11:33:29 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;839448
I'm not quite sure what to make of that statement. Do you think the other operating system camps don't use version control or something* ?

*that said, the Linux kernel was maintained at one point as a bunch of tarballs. Torvalds invented git because he didn't feel svn was suitable. Having used CVS ans SVN for longer than I can remember, git feels weird to me, but I'm getting there.

I'm not sure I care what Linus thinks, since he obviously added a feature central to micro kernel (loadable/unloadable driver modules) to make up for an obvious dificiency  of monolithic kernels.
I still prefer and support micro kernels and believe them to be supetior.
MorphOS is micro kernel based, the OS I supported on my 68K platforms was micro kernel based, even MacOS is a hybrid, and my eventual goal is to slim down Linux to the minimum needed to run a hosted version of AROS.

You can all go worship at the feet of Torvalds. Because basically Linux was just a kernel designed to facilitate a clone of UNIX. I could probably use BSD instead, but it might be more work.

I'm interested in this because it facilitates what I want to do, not out of some fan boy notion that it's Linux is a sterling example of original thinking.
Come to think of it, nothing in the computing world is. It's all built on other work, cloned copied or outright stolen.
The only thing I've heard of recently that sounded vaguely original was IBM's experiments building neural network based nodes. That, in my opinion, could actually lead to what we need for real AI, since it's similar to how "computing" is done in biologic entities (you know, brains).

In any case, let's freaking do this, let's build on and expand the ATOS PPC base.
Lou got me started thinking about the WiiU, but the X5000 is also a good target. As are the PowerMac and PowerBooks. And the Talos II...that would be incredibly cool.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #153 on: May 18, 2018, 01:09:34 PM »
What does anything you just said have to do with what I wrote? I simply pointed out that all large projects depend on version control.

Your previous post made it sound as if using SVN for managing your OS sources was somehow unique to AROS, when in fact I can't think of an example of a large project that isn't managed via version control, whether it's svn, git, mercurial or even CVS.
int p; // A

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #154 on: May 18, 2018, 02:31:26 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;839435
Thanks for the advice warzon. I didn't expect to get this far this quickly.
And the AROS development community really has it's act together. Using an SVN server is particularly neat.
The coolest part about this is I could consider moving forward with Power processors after MorphOS shifts to X64.
Power9 should run this stuff really well, big endian, little endian, on Linux, with multiple sessions virtualized.
It has even been shown run X64 software.

So, an open platform, with open firmware, running open OS'.

The best part? Microsoft's nowhere in that equation. Neither is Intel.

As to the WiiU, we've got a 2013 version of AROS that is already set up for PPC hosted, we have the current sources ready to compile, there is a Linux 4.17 kernel available for the WiiU, and there are several Linux variants available for the WiiU including Debian 8 and Ubuntu.

And WiiU are dirt cheap, with a lot of potential that hasn't been tapped yet (the other two cores, gpu acceleration, etc).

lou, I owe you an apology, this looks promising.
Apology accepted!
IDK if you could speak to the CEMU team (WiiU emulator) about graphics acceleration...  There is a GX2 library available in the homebrew community...also Unity can target WiiU...  My point being GPU acceleration is not a black hole...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 02:47:04 PM by lou_dias »

Offline nicholas

« Reply #155 on: May 18, 2018, 02:48:00 PM »
Only in Amiga-land! Lol

“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #156 on: May 18, 2018, 04:23:11 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;839489
What does anything you just said have to do with what I wrote?

thats iggy how we know him, right?

;)P

im curious if his aros ppc fork will share the fate of his appointed ppc custom hardware design. nevertheless, as i wished him luck, i hope it wont. looking at safari-leopard webikt diffs id really love to have some relevant big endian testing platforms. without too much bragging about. better doing.

« Reply #157 on: May 18, 2018, 05:45:01 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;839454
Having had access to the source repository in the past, I can confirm that the OS4 sources are maintained under version control. There really is no alternative when working on projects that size.

I was just bemused by Iggy's statement which made it sound like version control was some sort of revelation that only the AROS team used.

Bemused as you may be, I have no interest in OS4, and have no idea how MorphOS developers coordinate their project, although it must be through a similar system.

What amazes me is that allowing contributors to alter existing code doesn't create chaos, obviously there is the option to revert to previous versions, but the loose coordination reminds me a lot of some of the bigger Linux distros.
And often their steps "forward" wipe out something I preferred in earlier revisions.

Obviously there is more centralized control in the OS4 and MorphOS development communities as to what is and what isn't adopted.

In any case, I have the AROS source code, and will move forward in attempting to get it to run stably on some PPC platforms I have an interest in.
lou originally mentioned the WiiU, and I have G4 powered PowerMac, iBook and PowerBook hardware as well as PowerMac G5 systems (both AGP and PCI-e), And while there is a SAM460 port, don't you think there ought to be X1000 and X5000 ports as well?
I'll leave the idea of an A1222 port to those that prefer to punch down instead of up.

Then finally, with the announcement of by Raptor engineering that they will be producing a single cpu variant of the Talos II called the Talos II Lite...

Well we will soon have a Power 9 system available in the same cost range as the X5000.
Think about that, the cheapest Power 9 variant is a quad core that supports 16 concurrent threads.
That's 8 times as many as the X5000/20 and four times as many as the X5000/40.
Heck, its even double the number that the proposed T2080 based laptop could handle.

With a better fpu than any other Power variant thus far.

Porting AROS hosted to a big endian Linux variant on a Power 9 system should not be too difficult.
The next move would be to figure out the changes needed to move it to a little endian Linux variant.
And finally to create a native little endian variant.

And native version of AROS on Power 9 should be able to match any capabilities that AROS has on an X64 system (including the eventual adoption of SMP).
In fact, with the Power 9 hypervisor, it might be a MORE capable system.
Power 9 has already been demo'd running X64 software, and it can run multiple sessions via the hypervisor with sessions being EITHER big endian or little endian.

So think about it, a processor that could run PPC OS4 or MorphOS AND either PPC or X64 AROS (or BOTH), ALL AT THE SAME TIME.
It could even run Windows, Linux or possibly MacOS (on an emulated platform or via a hacked copy of MacOS).

All of this concurrently. In fact, the first four NG OS' mentioned only require 4 thread, leaving 12 threads for Linux or other OS'.

And this is on the cheapest Power 9 cpu.
There are Power 9 variants with up to 22 cores.
Only AMDs Epyc could beat that with 32 cores, but Epyc only supports 2 threads per core versus Power 9's 4 thread per core.

In other words, a single cpu Epyc system could support 64 concurrent threads.
A single cpu Power 9 system could support 24 more, or 88 concurrent threads.
Make these dual cpu systems and that number grows and the Power 9 system can support 48 more threads that the Epyc system.

And here's the kicker, an AMD Desktop Ryzen system maxes out at 16 concurrent threads (the same as the low end Power 9 four core) and can't be upgraded to the enterprise level multi-die Ryzen derivitives or Epyc.

But the Talos II CAN be upgraded. Your can start with the basic four core cpu on a dual or single cpu board (and the dual cpu board can still be used in single cpu configurations).
That gives you the same thread count as the best Ryzen desktop do.
Then you can upgrade all the way up, right to the 22 core cpu if you wish.
Giving you either and 22 core/88 thread machine or a 44 core/176 thread machine.

So, to those of you that contend that the PPC is dead, you have your heads up your rectum (and btw, yes, Power 9 IS a PPC).

This argument traces all that way back to my days building SS-50 bus computers and having arguments with S100 advocates stating their processors were faster.
Sure, and they had a much lower IPC/MIPS count.
And they went on to adopt CP/M (the progenitor of DOS), while we initially settled for Flex (which is pretty much a CP/M clone), but eventually once we had the 6809, we moved to multi-tasking OS' that supported multiple users.

So, the Motorola based community had real priority based preemptive multi-tasking before the Zilog/Intel community came up with kludges like MP/M.

Yes, even the lowly Tandy Color Computer could perform true multi-tasking, and the 68K when introduced was a quantum leap over Zilog and Intel offerings.
In fact, until the i386 was introduced, Intel cpus lacked the features necessary to implement some of the code that was running on the 68K.

SO, hey, the Amiga was the first multimedia computer marketed to the public with a SUPERIOR processor than those used on the first two generations of PCs (and it still easily match Intel's third generation).
The move to Power was intended to provide an alternative to X86, and up to the IBM 970 (aka the G5), it DID have full parity with Intel (in fact in some measures the G5 bests X86 cpus from the same era).

Using PPC as an accelerator for the Amiga was NOT a mistake, it was an effort not retain our exclusivity and not just fall in line with the competition.

If Apple had continued to support IBM/Power, desktop variants of systems above Power4 (the basis for the G5) could have been created that would have maintained that parity.

And IBM has soldiered on on it own, continuing to develop Power, now in its 9th iteration, and its still capable of matching or beating X64.

I'm feed up with having to resort to the "enemies" ISA.
From now on, I'm focusing on ARM and Power.

And if any of you had a clue what IBM has been focusing on as a successor to RISC, you might be question Intel's future dominance as much as I am.
ARM's everywhere in light weight portable devices, and Intel's been giving us more of the same for years.
If it wasn't for AMD we'd probably still be suffering with some lame P4 derivative, and in case anyone has forgotten, the 64 bit extensions to X86 are AMD64 extensions, the X64 ISA was AMD's creation, not Intel's.
They just implemented it as AMD's license requires sharing technology based on Intel underpinnings.

Intel didn't intend X86 to be extended to 64 bit, they wanted to move you all to Itanium. That failed, the P4 was pretty much a failure (both reminding me greatly of the Pentium Pro fiasco).

Hey, remember Intel started with the 4004, which was the first integrated one chip microprocessor, but that development was inevitable and early Intel products sucked.
There were PDP-11 micros produced soon after the 8088/8086 that could run circles around them.
Intel's cpus were best suited to use in  calculators, and you don't even find them there anymore while the Z-80 and 68000 are still used in older TI Scientific calculator designs (and ARM dominates newer designs).

So DO I really HAVE to have an X64 system, and must I REQUIRE Microsoft software?
Hell, no, and the day those "must haves" die out will be the day the market opens up and a broader base of end user inspired solutions will appear.

This is not a vague prediction.
Intel stumbled more than once (especially with their ridiculous proposition that 10 GHz P4s were possible), and Microsoft?
Hey XP wasn't bad, Vista...well it looked good (but how many of you like it), Win 7 with Aero was a good recovery (but I hope you all realize that its really just an advanced version of Vista).
Win 8, 8.1, 10 (with its undeletable electronic "assistant"), hey I really tried, and 10 is almost tolerable (although why Aero was dropped is anyone's guess), but frankly, all three of these are uglier than Vista, and not as functional as Win 7.

I want OUT.

I not buying a Windows variant that builds on this crap, especially one that tries to force me to make all my software purchase through an approved "store".

So, from here out its Linux, and Power 9 or ARM, so I can free myself from these shackles.

You all do what you want, personally I want to divorce myself from these lame standards and their perpetual promises that they'll "get it right in the next generation".

Feh.

Jim
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 05:53:22 PM by Iggy »

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #158 on: May 18, 2018, 07:12:53 PM »
What amazes me is that allowing contributors to alter existing code doesn't create chaos

It shouldn't, that's exactly what version control is for. Version control isn't just using a version control tool, it's about doing so with a workflow. Usually you make your changes in your own branch, keep it up to date with any important upstream changes and when it's ready, it's merged back. Usually with some sort of review process that the project maintainers have made policy. Whether you are using a centralised repository model like svn or a distributed one like git, it's policy (and permission management) that prevent unreviewed code making it's way into production.
int p; // A

« Reply #159 on: May 18, 2018, 08:25:58 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;839498
It shouldn't, that's exactly what version control is for. Version control isn't just using a version control tool, it's about doing so with a workflow. Usually you make your changes in your own branch, keep it up to date with any important upstream changes and when it's ready, it's merged back. Usually with some sort of review process that the project maintainers have made policy. Whether you are using a centralised repository model like svn or a distributed one like git, it's policy (and permission management) that prevent unreviewed code making it's way into production.

Thanks Karlos, I must admit that I'm old enough to remember when most projects were small enough to be handled by one programmer (or a lead programmer anyway).
This networked and cooperative environment shouldn't surprise me as its how all businesses operate these days.  Collaborative teams, electronic communication,centralized web sites...
I sir, am an apparent troglodyte in manner in which I prefer to function, which is still "Don't worry, I'll take care of it".
I have a profound distrust in the aptitude of others to get the job done and would prefer to handle as much of it myself as possible.

Its an attitude I've got to shake in order to function in this brave new world we've evolved into.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #160 on: May 19, 2018, 08:28:57 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;839499
Thanks Karlos, I must admit that I'm old enough to remember when most projects were small enough to be handled by one programmer (or a lead programmer anyway).

Source control is very useful even with one person projects.

If you give each commit a decent description then it can remind you why you did something, without having to pollute the code with extraneous comments.

It can also be used as an infinite undo buffer, of course how much you can undo at a time is limited by how often you commit. It should be an end to those head scratching sessions while "this was working last week" goes over and over in your mind, or at least it will tell you exactly what changed.

Accidentally changing a line which doesn't stop it compiling/running but changes the behaviour are also much easier to detect.

« Reply #161 on: May 20, 2018, 07:32:48 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;839510
Source control is very useful even with one person projects.

If you give each commit a decent description then it can remind you why you did something, without having to pollute the code with extraneous comments.

It can also be used as an infinite undo buffer, of course how much you can undo at a time is limited by how often you commit. It should be an end to those head scratching sessions while "this was working last week" goes over and over in your mind, or at least it will tell you exactly what changed.

Accidentally changing a line which doesn't stop it compiling/running but changes the behaviour are also much easier to detect.

Good points, it will be a part of anything I develop from this point out.
Beats digging around for earlier versions of your code (I'm not the most organized person).

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #162 on: May 21, 2018, 02:01:38 AM »
I'm running Team Foundation Server 2018 at home.  http://www.diasintegrated.com:8080/tfs
It's free for up to 5 users.
Hey, I make my living as a .Net coder ... so shoot me.

Offline kev711

• Show only replies by kev711
« Reply #163 on: May 21, 2018, 06:15:17 AM »
just fyi we are working on multiple chipsets so mpc107/tsi107 etc etc wont be the only supported

this will help with prices and availability of cards and we have someone working on cheaper pci carriers for those

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #164 on: May 21, 2018, 08:35:00 AM »
Quote from: lou_dias;839557
I'm running Team Foundation Server 2018 at home.  http://www.diasintegrated.com:8080/tfs
It's free for up to 5 users.
Hey, I make my living as a .Net coder ... so shoot me.

Whatever pays the bills. I've had to do some C# in the past, too.
int p; // A