Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 32MB for your Amiga for 22$ ?  (Read 2335 times)

Description:

Offline Zac67

• Show all replies
Re: 32MB for your Amiga for 22$ ?
« on: March 06, 2007, 07:26:01 AM »
If you want it cheap: read this.

Offline Zac67

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 06:59:20 PM »
DamageX wrote:

I bet you could avoid the autoconfig stuff and put the memory at a fixed address (or have a choice of addresses by jumper setting). Then run a utility in startup-sequence to add the memory.

Quoting The Master and writing this in one and the same post - you must be out of your mind...  :roll:
The Autoconfig logic is very easy to do.

@all
Actually I doubt if there's really a large demand for Z3 RAM boards: they're slower than onboard RAM (which isn't fast either) and paired with a CPU board will be a real pain. A far superior solution is to add the RAM on an accelerator board - which is why nearly all of them come (came) with RAM slots.

Offline Zac67

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 08:54:46 PM »
Well, in theory a Z3 card could be faster than A3k/4k onboard RAM - but not with existing chipsets. A3k/4k can't drive the bus as fast as they can access Ramsey mem.

Onboard RAM must be 80ns or faster, yes.

Offline Zac67

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 07:54:47 PM »
I've also pondered on the 'SDRAM DIMMs are 64 bit wide' problem a bit.
Given the low price of the RAM, you can just use one half of it and forget about the rest (either double data or ignore it altogether). If you want large amounts of RAM, it's the easiest and cheapest solution - you could even use slightly defective modules. ;-)
Aiming at the 16 to 128 MB size range, it's surely easier and cheaper to use old PS/2s, they're free.