Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Games that were better on PC than on Amiga :-o  (Read 7692 times)

Description:

Offline FastRobPlus

• Show all replies
    • http://bye
Re: Games that were better on PC than on Amiga :-o
« on: July 18, 2004, 05:25:41 AM »
VGA is 640x480 w/16 colors or 320x200 w/256 colors
MCGA is 320x200 w/256 colors
Tandy is 16 colors in all modes.
As tandy was popular in the early DOS era, many games limited themselves to 16 colors.

Offline FastRobPlus

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 11:42:54 PM »
>>I would LOVE for a new Amiga to come out so that I can stop paying Bill for crappier and crappier OS's that get more and more expensive.

[color=0000FF]XP is good.  DX9.1 is very, very, good.  Shame that companies like nVidia continue to release hamstrung mainstream cards that can't take advantage of DX's features at a decent framerate.  It forces developers to write games that are around 1-2 years in the visual past.[/color]

>>Therefore, I don't think we'll ever see Amiga showing the competition how to do things again, EVER.

[color=0000FF]Don't forget 3D0 did excatly this in the early 1990s.  Nobody seemed to want an alternative to the PC or the cheapie game console...[/color]

>>Amiga is a great hobby, but it's days of being a serious computer are well and truly over. Has been that way for a decade.

[color=0000FF]But at least it's still a great hobby![/color]

Offline FastRobPlus

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 02:05:11 AM »
--------------------------------------------
>>I use XP, because if I want to play games, I don't really have an alternative. Linux is getting more and more support, but this is still seldom available on a disc, and is usually in the form of patches from the internet.
--------------------------------------------

DirectX is the real power behind modern PC games.  I for one am glad that MS runs that show.  I don't fondly remember the open-ended days of MS-DOS/DR-DOS when the sound card/video card/gameport card manufacturers all compteted to make thier own gaming standard the dominant one.  I remember that VGA was becoming common begining around 1988, but game developers would not embrace it becuase they weren't sure if MCGA or VGA would win out. Many games were stuck with CGA and EGA for a few more years!

Now if only there was some kind of dedicated box that could run DirectX apps *without* the need for Windows XP, or any of the other non-gaming stuff they put in personal computers.  I dunno, some kind of DirectX Box.  An "X-Box" you might call it.

Oh... Never mind.