Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Interesting Wolfenstein3D port  (Read 4862 times)

Description:

Offline Argus

• Show all replies
Re: Interesting Wolfenstein3D port
« on: August 28, 2004, 01:45:23 AM »
I remember playing the Wolf3D Amiga port on my A3000 back in the day when it was on a CU Amiga or AF CD.  It was pretty nippy on the 68040.  Don't know if it was playable on the base 68000 cpu and I think it might need the ECS chipset (SuperDenise). I do remember of all the Doom-like games, it's the one that seemed to give me a headache if I played it more than a half-hour.  Maybe if I can find it again I'll try it out on the A500(T).
posted on A2500+ C=2620 14MHz/8MbFast/1MbChip
dialed in @34K
Just livin\\\' the dream...

Offline Argus

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 01:49:27 AM »
First off, unless there's a newer version I'm unaware of, Ray's Wofenstein AtariST port is pretty limited.  It is a recompile of the AppleIIgs game.  You can't shoot back, can't do anything more than run around the first level. What is more, you need a 4MB ST to make it run, iirc.  No doubt it can be improved upon.  Heck, didn't Citadel show that a Wolfie clone would work on a stock A500?
dialed in @34K

Offline Argus

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 12:24:59 PM »
@Patrik, Manicx

Oh, I see there is a new version (alpha only :().  Unfortunately the zip file is bigger than my floppy-gate 720K dd STE drive can handle so I'll have to download it with the STE (or upgrade to a hd floppy).  My original point was that it really *doesn't* run on a 'stock-ST', which an STE isn't.  If you can upgrade your ST to 2+MB and have later than TOS 1.2 it may work for you. I try and let you know if it runs on such spec. The STE is hardly a stock machine, with built-in blitter and 4MB 30-pin simms (which I'm afraid will still set you back a bit more than ordinary soap...though not by much ;)).
dialed in @34K

Offline Argus

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 08:52:24 PM »

shoggoth wrote:
Dude, it does run on a "stock" ST. It just needs more than 2Mb of RAM.

Yes, yes, yes, but 2MB is not stock now is it.  Anyway, it's a good port but not really such a big deal, unless you think back to if id Software had only ported it to ST and Amiga back in the day.  Things may have turned out a lot different for our favorite little keyboard computers. :-D
dialed in @34K