Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Discussing strategy of parties involved in the amiga-market (Hardware/OS)  (Read 5052 times)

Description:

Offline OlafS3Topic starter

To have a thread more related to general discussions (even if they not change anything and the companies/teams involved do not react on them) I create this thread.

I disagree with the strategy of a-eon at the moment. As I said I do not think that two high-prized and for most users unaffordable new computers are priority at the moment. When I understand Trevor correctly it would have been possible to produce something cheaper but that would have been competition to Acube (what he wants to avoid). Cooperation is ok but cooperation against the needs and wishes of the customers (and expecially potential customers)?. I hope that they rethink the plans and offer something more affordable.

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
But why would you want it? It only has a couple of expansion ports,. The CPU is 2Ghz dual core. That is almost the speed of a netbook.

ARM is becoming the No. 1 platform. They may decide to port to ARM which must be less difficult than x86/x64. It's still 32-bit too.

I also worry that by the time they do anything the boat will have already left and Amiga remain a declining hobby.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;741714
But why would you want it? It only has a couple of expansion ports,. The CPU is 2Ghz dual core. That is almost the speed of a netbook.

ARM is becoming the No. 1 platform. They may decide to port to ARM which must be less difficult than x86/x64. It's still 32-bit too.

I also worry that by the time they do anything the boat will have already left and Amiga remain a declining hobby.

But a ARM or X86 port of AmigaOS is completely out of scope. They want to make money with it, porting would mean a huge investment (time) to do. Hyperion wants to get paid for it, who will do it? Even for Trevor it would propably be too much. Or Hyperion (Ben H.) changes his mind and pays for it. But I have never heared of that they even think about it. And that Trevor pays for new high-end and high-prized PPC hardware does not sound of a change too. So only chance if they would "upgrade" the lower to midrange systems (means better hardware for the money).

On MorphOS team it is different because they are somehow in the middle between AROS and AmigaOS, commercial/closed source but not as much as Hyperion. They will make the shift to ARM/X86/X64 somewhen.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 10:49:15 AM by OlafS3 »

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
You are ofcourse free to start a kickstarter to get AOS4.x ported to arm or what ever, but I don't think you will be able to raise the money though.

Quote from: yssing;741717
You are ofcourse free to start a kickstarter to get AOS4.x ported to arm or what ever, but I don't think you will be able to raise the money though.

I think you are right there. So cheaper hardware would the only chance (if you want to use AmigaOS)

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
Quote from: OlafS3;741715
But a ARM or X86 port of AmigaOS is completely out of scope. They want to make money with it, porting would mean a huge investment (time) to do. Hyperion wants to get paid for it, who will do it? Even for Trevor it would propably be too much. Or Hyperion (Ben H.) changes his mind and pays for it. But I have never heared of that they even think about it. And that Trevor pays for new high-end and high-prized PPC hardware does not sound of a change too. So only chance if they would "upgrade" the lower to midrange systems (means better hardware for the money).

On MorphOS team it is different because they are somehow in the middle between AROS and AmigaOS, commercial/closed source but not as much as Hyperion. They will make the shift to ARM/X86/X64 somewhen.

I ll welcome and buy x86 version of MorphOS. But that is kind of on longer stick then X1000 AMP/SMP etc.

Seems Hyperion will stick with PPC at least until OS grows mature. Which is not bad at all - its the PPC users that will make transition and growth possible, as it is with MorphOS.

People should take their own decisions, and we should welcome it. But this kind of bashing puts A.org to Moo level. :mickeymouse:
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Quote from: vox;741721
I ll welcome and buy x86 version of MorphOS. But that is kind of on longer stick then X1000 AMP/SMP etc.

Seems Hyperion will stick with PPC at least until OS grows mature. Which is not bad at all - its the PPC users that will make transition and growth possible, as it is with MorphOS.

People should take their own decisions, and we should welcome it. But this kind of bashing puts A.org to Moo level. :mickeymouse:

"Moo level"

still a long way to go :D

I disagree with you there. Not the "PPC User" make transition and growth possible but winning back people from outside for the community (ex-amigans, users and expecially developers)

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
The future of AmigaOS is with ARM.  Arm is everywhere.  Arm is cheap.  And Arm doesn't waste giant amounts of electricity like Intel/AMD do.
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
Quote from: OlafS3;741724
"Moo level"

still a long way to go :D

I disagree with you there. Not the "PPC User" make transition and growth possible but winning back people from outside for the community (ex-amigans, users and expecially developers)

Currently PPC users makes it possible until OSs (MorphOS/OS4) are mature enough to go ARM (I prefer it to x86 even there are few ARM desktops - but they could aim tablets and smartphones like Amiga Inc planned).

Best would be to have one such OS and teams united (and it called AmigaOS 5 and hardware AmigaOnes since C-USA killed any hope of any good Amiga computer) or they will compete again just on larger market.

Even some better cooperation in current PPC markets would win more hearts and efforts, but team seems to be just too proud and stabborn.

Overall, no one has a long long term strategy, but everyone does its best in current circumstances.

Wining hearts of all ex Amigans? Hardly ever. Most were gamers. But we actually need a competitive OS in world of just 3 OSs (Win - mac OS X - Linux).
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Quote from: vox;741752
Currently PPC users makes it possible until OSs (MorphOS/OS4) are mature enough to go ARM (I prefer it to x86 even there are few ARM desktops - but they could aim tablets and smartphones like Amiga Inc planned).

Best would be to have one such OS and teams united (and it called AmigaOS 5 and hardware AmigaOnes since C-USA killed any hope of any good Amiga computer) or they will compete again just on larger market.

Even some better cooperation in current PPC markets would win more hearts and efforts, but team seems to be just too proud and stabborn.

Overall, no one has a long long term strategy, but everyone does its best in current circumstances.

Wining hearts of all ex Amigans? Hardly ever. Most were gamers. But we actually need a competitive OS in world of just 3 OSs (Win - mac OS X - Linux).

All ex-Amigians? Certainly not but would be nice of course :laugh1:

It would be enough to have say 50.000 - 100.000 users again. It is only a fraction of the former community but would be enough for commercial development (to some degree). Even then we would not compete with Windows or Linux but at least the community would be visible again. Being happy to satisfy the interest of a couple of hundred wealthy users brings no future. To support used Macs is at least offering better chances but it will not win the future either. The future can only be supporting new modern standard mass-produced hardware. Custom boards (whatever parts are used) are always much more expensive and only justifyable if they offer a real benefit. Custom for custom sake makes no sense to me.

Offline number6

@thread

There is no sense is discussing all options concerning h/w or s/w strategy from the Hyperion/Amiga OS4 side.
Too many limitations exist in the stipulated judgment between Amiga Inc. and Hyperion CVBA.

(1)They have clearly stated that they do not want the advice of anyone except their own close circle. This is a fact. Part of the reason is that a firm understanding is needed as to what the lawyers will jump on and what they will not. Anyone outside that circle simply will not have that information at their disposal.

Source

(2)see (1)

Quote from: number6;741763
@thread

There is no sense is discussing all options concerning h/w or s/w strategy from the Hyperion/Amiga OS4 side.
Too many limitations exist in the stipulated judgment between Amiga Inc. and Hyperion CVBA.

(1)They have clearly stated that they do not want the advice of anyone except their own close circle. This is a fact. Part of the reason is that a firm understanding is needed as to what the lawyers will jump on and what they will not. Anyone outside that circle simply will not have that information at their disposal.

Source

(2)see (1)

They should at least hear on their customers...

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
Quote from: OlafS3;741711
I disagree with the strategy of a-eon at the moment.

So just another thread to repeat the same thing for the hundried of time, (beyond) annoying.
So stop caring. You have cheaper OS4 machines from Acube. Second hand Macs with MorphOS or an old x86 machine that is not good enough anymore for Windows with AROS.
I myself won't likely buy an A-eon machine but I don't fill amiga.org with this same old crap.
This is how capitalism works:
- companies decide on a strategy
- consumers decide to buy or not
- If not enough consumers buy, company goes bankrupt.
At the moment AEon seems to have more customers then they can make machines.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline cha05e90

• Show only replies by cha05e90
    • http://www.ruthe.info
OMG, another useless thread. Olaf, really, who cares that you disagree with A-Eon's strategy? They (A-Eon, ACube, Hyperion, MorphOS-Team, AROS-Devs) do whatever they want* to do. I assume the time when those people/teams cared about you (or "customers") are long ago. Heck, even Commodore gave mostly a "sh*t" about "customers".

*: ...makes some money, fulfills personal dreams, is the most easy to code, is at least not completely boring, has an available coder at hand, makes most fun...whatever.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 08:51:00 PM by cha05e90 »
X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000