Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: windows = workbench  (Read 3768 times)

Description:

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
Re: windows = workbench
« Reply #44 from previous page: April 02, 2006, 10:35:58 AM »
3246251196 wrote:
yeah its just i need something like a notepad to create the batch file first. this is all just experimentation.

Use the "ed" command in the cli:

1.>ed filename

This will open a window to let you type your batch file. Then press then x then to save the file.

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2006, 12:03:13 PM »

Whats Amiga's OS? answer: Workbench

But it still isnt. AROS and MorphOS dont even have Workbench.

Does Amiga have a BIOS? answer: it has a Kickstart

No it doesnt until it is AmigaOne or Pegasos or PC. They have BIOS, real Amigas dont.

Mhhh.. wait... my C64 has BIOS too. When I turn it on I get strange command prompt where I can start loading GEOS or some other operating system. Hmm... interesting.

You know what they are asking when they ask these kinds of questions. When someone asks what OS a PC uses, we dont get all technical and Start refering to Windows Explorer or MSDOS...we Just say Windows.

Yeah, like Linux users when asked what OS they use they answer they are using Bash OS, KDE OS or Gnome OS.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline nasty

• Show only replies by nasty
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2006, 12:08:45 PM »
adz wrote:
Yawn...gee I'm really growing tired of this Windows bashing...

Well thats why its your problem and not mine!

Specs:
A1200PT, mediator c/w voodoo 3 2000, sb128, 60G HDD,OS3.9,LITEON CDR, nec 4x4 changer,External Scan Doubler,Cocolino adapter,PS2 keyboard adaptor.

Morphos 2.6, mini mac g4 @ 1.25ghz.

Offline mpiva

• Show only replies by mpiva
    • http://members.shaw.ca/michpiva
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2006, 01:50:31 AM »

bloodline wrote:

leirbag28 wrote:

You can:

Use AOL Instant Messenger (AmigAIM)
Yahoo Instant messenger (JabberWocky)
iPOD pod casting (AmiPodder)
IRC     (AmIRC, BlackIRC, Wookichat)
Internet Explorer   (A-Web, iBrowse, Voyager)
Outlook express or JUNO    (YAM, SimpleMail)
PowerPoint      (SCALA MM300, MediaPoint, AmigaVision)
Microsoft Word   (Final Writer, AmigaWriter, Wordworth)
Excel    (Final Data)
WinAMP      (AMPlifier, Amiga AMP)
WinZIP    (WizARC, X-ARC)
Adobe PhotoShop    (Perfect Paint, ImageFX, FX Paint)

You can't compare Photoshop with ANY Amiga image package!
You can't compare Execl with Final Data, nor can you compare Internet Explorer with ANY Amiga browser!

For the record, you REALLY can't compare Excel if FinalData as the first is a spreadsheet app and the second is a database app.  Perhaps you meant FinalCalc, on this I would agree.  I was never too impressed with FinalCalc but seem to be forgetting TurboCalc.  I think you could compare Excel to TurboCalc.  I'm sure there's a lot of stuff that Excel can do that TurboCalc can't but I'd be hardpressed to find any (and I do some fairly complex Physics).  And if you take into account ARexx, I'm sure you could ANYTHING Excel could do (although, admittedly it would require a lot more work)

The same goes for Word and FinalWriter.  In my opinion, FinalWriter97 was WAY better than Word97.  It's too bad both FinalWriter and TurboCalc have ceased development.  If development on both those Apps had continued to this day I'm sure MS Office compatability would be a nonissue for the Amiga.  (I'd do ANYTHING to get the source to those two apps... mind you, from what I understand, TurboCalc was 100% assembler so that wouldn't help too much)
-- Michael A. Piva --

"In engineering, there is no single truth, no one right answer; there\'s a canvas, and you paint it your way, only with chips or gates or subroutines rather than actual paint. That\'s the Amiga..."
-Dave Haynie

Offline 3246251196Topic starter

• Show only replies by 3246251196
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2006, 02:05:59 AM »
this is interesting:

with me being at college we do a lot of work using MS applications.

is there a way to convert a MSWord document i created at college to lets say a version of FinalWriter so i can work on it on the amiga. or is this mere poppycock!?

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2006, 02:28:51 AM »
Importing Microsoft document formats is like trying to pull teeth without pliers.  Microsoft uses proprietary file formats like Word documents and PowerPoint presentations to keep you from being able to switch to a competitors product.

« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2006, 02:38:59 AM »
well, i am not surprised at all.

Offline mpiva

• Show only replies by mpiva
    • http://members.shaw.ca/michpiva
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2006, 06:35:26 AM »

3246251196 wrote:
this is interesting:

with me being at college we do a lot of work using MS applications.

is there a way to convert a MSWord document i created at college to lets say a version of FinalWriter so i can work on it on the amiga. or is this mere poppycock!?

Only inderectly.  From MSWord, save the file as an RTF.  FinalWriter can read and write RTF files and it should preserve most of your formatting.
-- Michael A. Piva --

"In engineering, there is no single truth, no one right answer; there\'s a canvas, and you paint it your way, only with chips or gates or subroutines rather than actual paint. That\'s the Amiga..."
-Dave Haynie

« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2006, 04:23:56 PM »
the specs needed to run 3.5 on my 1200 say i need 4mb Fast Mem - dont you just have 2mb Chip memory with a standard 1200?? this is right?

Offline Flashlab

• Show only replies by Flashlab
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2006, 04:51:08 PM »
yes
Amiga 4000D Cyberstorm PPC 060@50 604@200 SCSI 130Mb Ram G-Rex Voodoo3 PicassoIV Paloma Ariadne Delfina Lite

Online Flash version of BoulderDash: Offline...

Offline irishmike

• Show only replies by irishmike
    • http://www.jmikeneedham.net
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2006, 06:27:51 AM »
Well I spent a good hour reading through this post and all I really got out of it was how Windows sucks.  IMHO, that should be a given since we all still love our Miggies.  I am actually running a P3 1 GHZ Dell I just bought and I also run a Macintosh Mini (first version) with MacOS X (10.4.x).  My favorite Linux distro is SuSE and I do run SuSE 10 in a virtual machine on my Windows box.

Is this all important?  Not Really -- My Amiga is an A1200 that I am planning to use to mainly play the games I miss from the late 1980s and early 1990s.  I think the Miggie is a great machine and we AMI folk got the short end of the stick when C=   went under.  I think if Amiga had been in production solidly (ie Commodore had not folded and the whole chain of events that we know as history) then they too would have a "modern" OS that would be as widely used as Windows or Linux are.

I am fairly opinionated towards my PC... but I would love to run Linux full time on this platform and I do love my Macintosh (with OS X.. wasn't too fond of classic MacOS).

My point is this:  I (personally) need Windows to make my living... but at the same time, if I could make as much money in Open Source software, I would do it in a heartbeat!  

The Amiga community has a right to be proud (in my opinion) because they remain (in my mind) a shining example of not giving up even when the going got gone!  I like to think the community is still about "Users helping Users" even as I watch eagerly what happens with OS 4.  I am ready for a viable alternative to Windows and believe it not, the only reason Windows (XP) is installed on my Dell P3 is for these two applications:

1:  TextPad 4 (on the Macintosh it is BBEDIT)
2:  iTunes

If Linux had all functionality available, Windows would be gone from my machine!!!

Before someone says it:  I know there are apps "like" these on Linux... but I guess I am looking for exact functionality in them and I can't expect programmers to want to develop for that platfrom if they can't get paid... the whole root of the issue -- Windows Development pays nicely... Open Source or non-supported OS development is a labor of love and not normally prioritized.

Anyhow... this is purely my opinion and I hope AmigaOS 4 makes a great comeback.  I think it is time to have REAL alternatives to Microsoft Empire!

One last point:  Regarding Word Processors -- if the software does what you need it to do (assuming you don't need to email Word formatted documents -- I do often) then once printed, it is a document and serves it purpose.  Use what you like as long as it works for you!

Personally, I use Open Office 2 on my windows, Mac and Linux boxen and since it is open source, if you have the time and the knowledge... port it to AMI... I am sure that would not be trivial however.

Just really my .02 worth.  Remember that this is my opinion and that I believe that all opinions are important, so if you disagree, please feel free.  I like to think I am open-minded enough to listen to your Point of View.

Have a great night all ( it is night here).
\\"When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.\\"
- Marquis de la Grange