Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Oh no! ... Bastards! ... Phew!  (Read 2222 times)

Description:

Offline peroxidechickenTopic starter

• Show only replies by peroxidechicken
Oh no! ... Bastards! ... Phew!
« on: February 15, 2004, 10:04:37 PM »
Oh no!  
Like a lot of people, I often leave out small words when I'm typing - words like 'I', 'an', 'a', and etc.  So, when I left out lha's x command while attempting to do a wildcard-for-the-sake-of-name-completion extract to t: (ala lha mem#? t:) what I got was all the files in my current directory moved to a single archive in my ram disk.  Not knowing that lha had deleted files from my current directory I deleted the resulting archive to free up memory.  

Bastards!  
My current directory was on a FAT32 partition courtesy of WinUAE so I quit WinUAE and started looking for a FAT32 undelete program - preferably free and small in size.  What I found was just the opposite.  This is appalling - didn't MS DOS used to have an undelete command?  What happened to it?  (I'm using Win98 btw)  I managed to find a 150ishKB program - others were approaching 10MB and this is the compressed file size!  Ridiculous! - but it would only show me a list of deleted files and refuse to recover any file larger than 15KB.  The wonders of trial software.  

Phew!  
So I had to re-download what I couldn't bear to be without.  Mozilla's download window contains every file I've downloaded since switching to Mozilla so it was easy to re-find those files on Aminet.  What I didn't know is that Mozilla seems to keep it's own archive of downloaded files so when I attempted to download these files for the second time it happened almost instantly.  

I like Mozilla.  But having gone through this I'd like to know if there are any *real* undelete programs out there.  And another windows tool I'd like is one that can let me browse and search the physical memory of my pc.  Any suggestions?  
H2O2

Offline that_punk_guy

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
Re: Oh no! ... Bastards! ... Phew!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 05:16:27 AM »
peroxidechicken wrote:
Any suggestions?

Backups?

They're so easy to do if you have WinUAE running on a PC, it's a couple of clicks in Explorer, and no excuses. :-)

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 02:34:03 PM »
As long as you ain't using the hd (like surfing the net, defragmenting, copying and so) the files should still be intact. Otherwise, you got a big probability that the files are damaged (by partially overwriting it or so).
If the latter is the case and these files are extremely important, you can send your hd to the manufacturer or so wich have special instruments to recover overwritten files.
But sorry, I do not know atm a name of a recovery program.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 02:38:09 PM »
Can't you just run an Amiga file recovery program?