Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Selling an album as an online download only...  (Read 820 times)

Description:

Offline LegerdemainTopic starter

• Show only replies by Legerdemain
Selling an album as an online download only...
« on: August 31, 2005, 08:58:44 AM »
I just thought about something that bothers me very much.

Let's say one of your favourite artists releses an online album, which can't be bought in physical shape.

Now let's say that this record company closes down and the downloads disappear before you have had the chance of obtaining the songs.

What happens now when there is no physcial copy of the album to obtain? The ones that have donwloaded the songs have probably already entered an agreement that the files are not to be distributed, sold or whatever. How on earth will one now be able to get hold of the songs when they are no longer available for commercial downloading?

This bothers me very much, because I have this feeling that more and more record companies will focus their efforts into online downloads in the coming years. In a way this will, according to me, help decreasing the availability of music, and the ways of legally obtaining copies. They will probably bother more and more about server spacing, thus removing files which doesn't seem to be of high commercial gain to them.

Does my though have a valid point, or am I only afraid of the technical evolution?
Amiga 1200, Mirage Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260/50, SCSI Kit, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, Mediator SX, Soundblaster 128, Voodoo 3 and Realtek 8139.

Offline Dan

• Show only replies by Dan
Re: Selling an album as an online download only...
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 11:59:57 AM »

Legerdemain wrote:
 How on earth will one now be able to get hold of the songs when they are no longer available for commercial downloading?

There are ways.... the force is stronger on the darkside! :lol:  

Question is why would you want to support a record-company puppet that releases his music as a DRM-load only? :-?
Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!

Offline NoFastMem

• Show only replies by NoFastMem
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 12:13:06 PM »
Bit.

Torrent.

:-D
AKA that_punk_guy

Offline Vincent

• Show only replies by Vincent
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 02:29:01 PM »
It would follow the same route as physical albums/cds.

If the label goes tits up then there will be someone waiting to buy the rights of some/all of their catalogue.  The new label will release the stuff.

The same would apply for online albums - label goes bust, new owners come in and buy what they want and release them the way they want.  Hell, they might even release an online only album on CD too :-)

There's always another company wanting rights to stuff that can make them money wether it's physical or online.
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel