Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Yup, I just banned him...  (Read 17735 times)

Description:

Offline agami

• Show all replies
    • Twitter
Re: Yup, I just banned him...
« on: October 17, 2013, 01:42:19 AM »
Quote from: LoadWB;750263
Thank you.  I am tired of the distortion of the First Amendment from people who cannot be bothered to :rtfm:, let alone understand the difference between a "freedom" and a "right."

Here's where things get a little knotted: It is the right to free speech as provided by the Bill of Rights component of the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America.

So is it both a right and a freedom? It's not like the Freedom of Information Act because Freedom of Speech was never enacted and is therefore not a judicial matter, where binding Terms and Conditions for use of a service are.

Or maybe free is used as a verb? So citizens of the United States have the right to free speech, if say speech were being held captive?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 01:52:45 AM by agami »
---------------AGA Collection---------------
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
3) Amiga CD32 + SX1, OS 3.1

Offline agami

• Show all replies
    • Twitter
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 01:51:51 AM »
Quote from: persia;750286
We've been fighting for a bill of rights to be incorporated into our (Australian) Constitution.  It isn't going to come under the Abbott regime though.

We don't need a Bill of Rights to recognise the inalienable rights available to all residents of the Commonwealth of Australia. The legislative house already operates with those principles.

One problem is; the second you right these things down is the very second people start picking at them.

Another problem is; humans are inherently corrupt, and whether you swear it as an MP or have it written down as a Magna Carta, people will continuously find ways to step around these things.
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2

Offline agami

• Show all replies
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 01:49:00 AM »
Thanks to everyone who participated in this extensive discussion and by your actions proving CJ wrong.

Turns out that we, the members of the Amiga.org forum, are a diverse bunch of individuals after all, and are capable of having conversations not related to the Amiga. And we have no issue discussing these topics on an Amiga forum website without fear of the sky falling or the world ending.

As for the 2nd amendment fanboys, to all of us outsiders y'all are nuts. No offence. Even for many of us that have lived amongst you, we still think your anti gun-control fervour is unreasonable. In Australia we have tight gun controls that you would no doubt consider an invasion of personal freedom, but it makes for a much safer and more liveable society. No man is an island.

I actually enjoy weaponry, I was in the armed forces (national service in Yugoslavia) and I enjoy handling and firing handguns and rifles. That's what gun clubs are for, I don't need these things in my home.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 01:53:53 AM by agami »

Offline agami

• Show all replies
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 02:52:03 AM »
Quote from: save2600;750359
Until someone armed (or not) and illegally enters your home and... tried to rob, rape and...

Pick up a nearby lamp and beat them to death? Baseball bat? Sorry... Cricket paddle... lmao

God given right is to be able to defend yourself. Plain and simple. Don't grasp that concept? Yeah... you're the one I feel sorry for.

Yes, I have the natural instinct and the, hmm what's the best word to use here... choice, to defend myself, i.e. Fight or flight.

Unfortunately, in Australia, if I used any of the bludgeoning weapons you mentioned, which I surely could do to much effect since I am a large semi-muscular man and I do have a putter in my study, I could end up in more trouble and doing more jail time than the assailant.

We are not to take the law into our own hands; Someone enters your home uninvited, get out and call the police from a mobile or a neighbour's phone.

Offline agami

• Show all replies
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 01:28:32 AM »
Quote from: persia;750421

Did that guy just spit popcorn out of his mouth and offer it to me?