Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore 1960 monitor  (Read 2873 times)

Description:

Offline spaceman88

• Show all replies
Re: Commodore 1906 monitor
« on: January 03, 2018, 02:23:08 AM »
Quote from: kirk_m;834611
I have a 1960 monitor that still works, but, it's seemingly getting glitchy.  It makes a popping/whining noise on powering on and video mode switches.  Not terribly loud, but, noticeable enough to make me think there is a problem.  What typically goes bad on these?  I can bring it to a TV repairman for a once over, but, I'd like to get an idea on what I might be facing before bringing it over there.

Thanks!

Kirk

Sometimes a flyback will develop a crack in the caseing and you will get high voltage discharge to ground. Sometimes can be fixed with silicone. Another possibility is excessive dirt around the anode (the wire that goes from the flyback up to the side of the picture tube), in this case a good cleaning is in order. I had one that would "snap" at random times so I set up a video camera (with the back of the monitor) to record the event. Then a slow motion playback showed me the exact location of the problem.

Offline spaceman88

• Show all replies
Re: Commodore 1906 monitor
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2023, 11:04:06 AM »
I was hoping someone who has worked on this particular model would have answered, but I used to work on CRT TV's and other monitors so......The transistor next to the flyback is probably the HOT. Often a shorted HOT means the Flyback is bad. It's also possible to have an issue in the horizontal drive circuit. From 25 year old memories, I had TX82 RCA TV's that would blow the HOT because the drive signal at the Base of the HOT was 1 Volt peak to peak instead of 5V (was bad diodes). TV would work for a few minutes but the HOT would get so hot it would fail. Sorry I'm not more familiar with this model, but if it's like most monitors, I would be suspicious of the flyback.