Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: So whats on the horizon for MOS?  (Read 7351 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
Re: So whats on the horizon for MOS?
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 07:27:01 AM »
Quote from: runequester;629828
I wasn't sure which forum to put this in. Any ideas or hints at what is on the horizon for Morph OS? Anything exciting in the future or any broad roadmap of stuff?

There has been several hints of various developments for upcoming versions. It has also been hinted that PowerBook support won't come in v2.8. G5 support is *very* far off. If it will come at all. To quote MorphOS developer jacadcaps: "It's been said many times already, but let me say this again: do not buy hardware with Morphos in mind unless support for it is officially announced on morphos-team.net!"

MorphOS 2.8 is mostly likely going to feature a disc burning application, that will burn/copy discs and make ISO's. It has already been shown publicly on various occasions.

What has also been shown is the "updated 3D drivers, reaching 140fps in Quake III running at 800x600 on an humble Mac mini. That's roughly 50% better than last year, that in turn was already 100% faster than what we have in the public version of MorphOS." (meaning: 3x as fast as current MorphOS! Picture.)

Improvements in Ambient, like a new dock system with several new features. Personally, I'd *really hope* for that cool "video-preview-in-icons" feature that was shown years ago would materialize (where you apparently hold the mouse pointer over the icon of a video file, and you get a nice preview of the video in the icon), although I'm not holding my breath. Apparently that one was put on ice long time ago. :)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline runequesterTopic starter

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 07:32:50 AM »
yeah, it seems the development is pretty glacial. But then, it also seems to be pretty good already.

Once we move to a bigger apartment in a month or two, a morph machine is probably going to happen.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 07:37:17 AM »
Well I'd love to see Heretic II running as well... (need help)

The updated 3d Graphics Drivers sound like they are going to bring Quake III and Return to Castle Wolfenstein up to speed on my lowly eMac!!!!

As for the Mouse Pointer over Video feature. YES! I've seen that on another OS and loved it!

I'm eager to see what these new docks will be like. On that note, the more Dopus Magellen like features that can be added, the better!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 07:44:14 AM »
Quote from: runequester;629992
yeah, it seems the development is pretty glacial. But then, it also seems to be pretty good already.

Once we move to a bigger apartment in a month or two, a morph machine is probably going to happen.

It's solid,"you will buy a G4 Tower, you will buy a G4 Tower" (hypnotically waves hand in front of RunEquester's face).

Seriously though, the OS is solid as it is. If you've played with a lot of Hobby OS's, you'll be like,"Wow, this just works!!!" Well more or less. Occasionally you got to tweak something, but that's what the forums are for. Though, I will say that there are a few games and emulators that only have Keyboard support, so you have to use Trident to assign Keyboard and Mouse movements to your Joystick. This can be tricky. Assigning the buttons is easy enough, but assigning the direction pad thus far has been impossible for me, and I've spent a few weeks trouble shooting this.

Such things are easy as cake in Windows. How Windows tends to shame us some times... :/

But ya, other than that, rock solid, and besides, nearly everything already has Joystick support, though this is not the case with the Playstation emulator. VERY DEPRESSING! A gold mine at my finger tips and I can not play it except with a freaking Keyboard. :(
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 07:45:21 AM »
Quote from: redrumloa;629842
They don't publish a road map. That is both good and bad. For the current market, it is probably mostly good. They have suggested PowerMac G5 and Power Book support is upcoming. I tried out the demo of MOS 2.7 recently on a G4 PowerMac and it is pretty impressive. I came very close to registering, very close indeed. I recently told myself that I am giving up on all retro computing. If they release G5 support in the near future with a couple more features, I may have to back out of that statement. MorphOS is really looking good. The OS is polished and pro looking, plus it just works.

Did you try "Pack Ultimate" for it?

It's a very quick and easy way of getting a pre-configured system up and running, with lots of applications installed, system settings configured, etc! Perfect if you want to really see the strengths of the system in a quick and easy way, without spending an eternity of setting things up yourself (which you will hardly do when using a demo). :)

Here is a cut'n paste from the "readme":

Code: [Select]
Hello,

I am Papiosaur, webmaster of website www.meta-morphos.org

I present you Ultimate pack v1.6.4 for MorphOS 2.7.

This pack aims to promote applications dedicated to MorphOS.

You must install it just after a new installation of MorphOS 2.7 (registered or not)

This pack is not official and always in version beta.

Here is a list of preistalled software :

- WEB:
AmiRSS
OtrMUI
WallGet
WBRSS

-Communicate:
AmiGG
AmIRC
Jabberwocky
PolyGlot
SabreMSN
SimpleMail

-Audio:
AudioEvolution demo
AminetRadio
CodeAudio
DigiRoller
ExciterPlayer
SongPlayer
UADE

-CD-DVD:
CD Tools
FreeDB
FryingPan demo version
Ripper

-Development:
Scout
FileX
SimpleCat

-Desktop:
April
ClockToy
CLONCK
CRABUM
Dragon
Elephant
Meridian
MisterBanana
PolyNET NG
Wetter
ZoomIt

-Files:
AMUIDiff
MultiRen
R
Rival
SimpleFind
Voodoo-X

-Hardware:
PCITool
TopCPU

-Log:
SnoopDos

-Monitor:
GammaMeter

-Network:
AmiTradeCenter
dNETc
GiftMUI
MLDonkey
RC-FTPd
RDesktop
SmartSMBFS
TwinVNC
VNC Server

- Office:
AntiWord
GhostScript
MUIBase
ODG-Viewer
PointRider
SCANdal
XML-Viewer

-Orga:
CManager
PolyOrga
SAB

-Paint:
TVPaint

-Picture
Gallerius
PicShow
PtpDigCam
WAManager

-Text:
NowinED
VisualGuide

-Video:
BlueHD
FlashPlayer
MPlayer
RadioScript
ScreenRecorder
Titler
Tubexx

- Commodities
Altabber
KidLock
Lucy
PointIt
Scube
sZoom
Unmask

You can lauch Amiga software and games with contextual menu (dms, adf, executable) copying the contents of disk Workbench 3.1 to
sys:Applications/Emulators/UAE/HardDiskS/Workbench/ (Attention, do not replace startup-sequence file).
You must also copy ROM 1.3 image file for Amiga 500 (named kick13.rom) and ROM 3.1 image file for Amiga 1200 (named kick.rom) to
sys:Applications/Emulators/UAE/Roms/

IceFoldersPack and PlexiFoldersPack, Wallpapers and also mimetypes have been realised by Patbest.
You can download others Icons, Wallpapers and mimetypes on his website : http://amigaos0morphos.olympe-network.com.

A big thanks to the developpers of software available in this pack and of course to the MorphOS Team for MorphOS ;-)

Don't hesitate to support them.

If somebody want to contribute to the evolution of the pack Ultimate, the is no problems ;-)

You can send me suggestions and remarks to my address mail : (removed by me)

Thanks

Papiosaur

You'll find a download link in this news item:

http://www.morphzone.org/news/1845.html

Also, don't forget to download the very latest OWB for it (and also don't forget to really read the documentation in order to get the most out of it):

http://www.morphzone.org/news/1849.html

:)

(EDIT: Oh, and I wouldn't really consider MorphOS to be "retro". That's certainly not its ambition. Retro is the Classic Amiga HW (or UAE), OS's, games and apps *of the past*. MorphOS clearly aims to be a real OS you can use for real stuff, and although it lacks some features normally seen on desktop OS's (like memory protection, etc) and some apps (office and flash is at the top of my mind), it doesn't make it "retro". I'd instead call it an "Enthusiast OS for Amigans, that actually can be used for real stuff in 2011, but in an Amiga environment"! ;))
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 07:55:51 AM by takemehomegrandma »

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 08:04:32 AM »
I know the mac mini's are all the rage, but what other options are worth considering?

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 08:20:34 AM »
Quote from: runequester;630000
I know the mac mini's are all the rage, but what other options are worth considering?

Powermacs can be either cheaper or faster (depending on model and configuration) and they are expandable with their big boxes.

eMacs can be found practically for free.

I like my Mini though (1.5GHz/64MB VRAM), and wouldn't trade it for any of the above! :)

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2011, 08:21:37 AM »
whats the least hardware that it'd still be worth running it on?

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2011, 08:29:44 AM »
Mac Mini with 64Mb Video RAM.

Hmm, I'm shocked that the software packaged mentioned above does not include HD-Rec. For shame!!!!

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2011, 08:35:19 AM »
Quote from: runequester;630007

Depends what you'll do. Some people are happily running MorphOS on their 400MHz "G2" Efika's, and you'd actually be surprised how fast and snappy runs is even on such a low spec machine (although you shouldn't expect to be able to play x264 720p streams!) :)

Personally, this is the least HW I'd consider it worth running it on (note that this is not the most current version of MorphOS):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TomrykR0AIc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBl_yfGHm34

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2011, 08:46:09 AM »
I've got an eMac, it's nice, I'm getting by, but I despise the fact that I have to be so damned protective of the mere 32Mb of Graphics RAM. I have to turn off all MorphOS's eye candy which really doesn't bother me too much, but still, I press the Graphics RAM limit. Especially with game settings. I have to turn things way down with Quake III and Wolfenstein.

It is for this reason I suggest getting a Mac Mini with 64Mb of RAM. I'm not sure which particular configuration is the right configuration so you'd want to read the compatibility list, but that's what I'd go with if I didn't have my sites set on a the fastest G4 Tower I can get my hands on! :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 08:49:03 AM by XDelusion »

Offline utri007

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2011, 09:04:53 AM »
Quite soon there will be MOS for x86 cpus and then...
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2011, 09:18:22 AM »
And then we'll be able to network 12 Atari 800XL's and run MorphOS on top of them as one Multi CPU machine. It will be amazing!

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2011, 09:22:17 AM »
Quote from: utri007;630016
Quite soon there will be MOS for x86 cpus and then...

I have a feeling that ARM would be a better option...

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2011, 06:28:38 PM »
Quote from: runequester;629889
Any news or talk about wireless support? Thats one of the bigger things bugging me.

I am very tempted to jump in despite my reservations.

Been digging a bit about this, and while I am no Andreas Wolf (i.e. human web spider (cheers Andreas! ;)) ), here is the latest thing *I* could find about this issue. It's from the Bad Bramstedt Meeting in 2010:

"- About the releases for other Apple hardware: ... That said, he told the PowerBook G4 version basically ony lacks graphics acceleration support for R300 chipset and wireless support. The first one (both 2D for enhanced displays and 3D) is a must have, while the second is really a nice to have for a portable, but nobody is working on it right now and so a first PowerBook release might eventually happen even without the wireless supported. Frank used his PowerBook G4 as his only machine during the 2 days and it seemed stable and nice."

http://www.morphzone.org/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=7532&post_id=79108&viewmode=flat&sortorder=0&showonepost=1

Ah well...

But I agree with you, and IMHO this is a core feature of any 2011 OS. But who knows, the MorphOS Team has surprised us Amigans many times before by introducing exciting new stuff! :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 06:34:27 PM by takemehomegrandma »

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 08, 2011, 07:06:04 PM »
Quote from: runequester;630007

Are you looking for low price or minimal performance. The Efikas been mentioned, but I've seen 1.25Ghz Emacs running at about $35. If your willing to put up with 2D graphics only the 1.42 Ghz eMac will also work (and has 64mb of video memory).
Powermacs are also cheap. I have one I paid less than $50 for. Anything 733Mhz or faster is fine (you could even consider slower models but why).
Powermacs also have several PCI expansion slots.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"