Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PeeCee Gamers ha! What a funny bunch eh. lol!  (Read 4593 times)

Description:

Offline KingTuttTopic starter

• Show all replies
PeeCee Gamers ha! What a funny bunch eh. lol!
« on: March 27, 2003, 01:01:32 AM »
Now when I refer to PeeCee gamers nowadays, I speak of the many computer owners who never owned Amigas, or worse never even heard of Amiga. In the past, it was impossible to be a PeeCee owner and not know about the dreaded and fearsome Amigas, lol! There was always this rivalry between systems, altho not quite on the same level (at least not for a very long time) This was because many PeeCee owners were very well aware of the marvels of Amiga computing - the superior stereo sound and full color gfx, but somehow remained in loser denial wishing that PeeCees would one day catch up. And shoot! guess what happened, they actually got their wish!

Of course many of us Amigans crossed over to PeeCeeworld in the mid 90s, some of you more recently. I myself felt physically sick when seeing how far behind PeeCees were in 96 to Amigas. But having no alternatives and a job depending on Win95 familiarity, I made the switch anyway. I always viewed it as a downgrade rather than a switch. And for many years resented Commodore for allowing the greatest travesty in computing to happen in such a way.

But out of all of this, my biggest gripe remained to be the PeeCee gamers resistance to cold hard facts. This being, that PeeCees were cumbersome and inferior machines for gaming. PC speaker? Give me a break! CGA gfx? lol! For the recent gamer, bred on PSX and PS2, it is probably impossible to imagine a world were a superior platform like the Amiga, could fail to capture a larger market when going against the humbe 286/386. And one might say it was comparable to a PS2 competing with a PeeCee running windows 3.11. But yes this was exactly how it was like.

Amiga reigned supreme since 1985 to 1993. And during this time, I had heated debates with PeeCee users and their lofty claims that PeeCee games, despite their shortcomings were still superior to their Amiga counterparts. Some even went to the extremes of saying that games didn't matter were computing was concerned. But one didn't have to be Einstein to know that these PC advocates were just overprotective and insecure individuals, who couldn't admit reality even if it slammed right in front of them.

The curious thing was that despite their Pro-PC resolve, many of these PeeCee gamers were completely oblivious and ignorant to what good gfx were. Many of them had skewed notions of what cutting edge gfx were at the time. And for many years, things remained this way. I even recall pointing out the horrible zoomed in look, to a friend running a PC port of Lemmings 2. The sounds were appaling (PC speaker? hello!) And the chunky sprites were distracting to say the least. I remember telling him "Dude, sorry to say this, but that thing just plain sux ass... man. Seriously it does" He would quickly snap and say "Oh so, it looks and plays better on your Amoeba, does it? huh does it? ahh schoolkids back then. lol! I guess being spoilt on Amiga gfx had its problems too, yeah like arguements with PC diehards and being generally perceived as being too fussy of gfx.

Suffice to say, growing up with Amigas in the 80s, was like stumbling across a conspiracy in keeping the world ignorant to sublime computing, heh the bgates conspiracy. It was like discovering some Pentagon files proving there was intelligent life on Mars, but not being able to tell anyone, without risking ridicule. Of course it was a relief when discovering other Amigans, and being able to share the experience together.  

It wasn't until 3D games and more sophisticated h/w came out, that PC gamers finally became aware of the deficiencies to their software rendered low res gfx. Now PC gamers pride themselves on how THEIR games outshine the competition. PeeCee gamers are the new spoilt kids, were gfx are concerned. lol! And now these same people are the ones crying out why they should adopt AmigaOnes, if their h/w outclasses AmigaOne on every level.

Its ironic isn't it? That these very same people couldn't think this way when Amigas outclassed their POS x86 on every level back in 1985, not only that but it kept the lead for almost a decade. Yet now they would have you know who has the higher specced machine and make it their quest to point out OUR deficiencies. lol!

PeeCee gamer geeks lol! You gotta love 'em. They really are a funny bunch!

I bet us Amigans have a million experiences of this (what i like to call) PeeCee gamers conundrum, I'm sure they would make for many an interesting post
If I said I was the best you would think I am boasting. But if I said I was not, then you KNOW I am lying! ~Bruce Lee.

• Show all replies
Re: PeeCee Gamers ha! What a funny bunch eh. lol!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2003, 02:42:56 AM »
@carls

Man that was the funniest post in a while, that I've seen.

L M A O!

@poweramiga2002

Yeah, I know how overbearing PeeCee nerds can be. I had to deal with them on a daily basis in Amiga's heyday! And they were still as stubborn then as they are now. Except now they have less to feel protective about. Still, doesn't stop them from seeing an opportunity to deride a once proud system. (what am i saying, a still proud system!)

PS: Apparently John Carmack (Doom 3 creator) is the biggest anti-Amiga bigot around. hehe. RexxMast makes an excellent case in this thread[/url]. I hadn't laughed that loud in ages, man o man! RexxMast REALLY is one funny bugger.
If I said I was the best you would think I am boasting. But if I said I was not, then you KNOW I am lying! ~Bruce Lee.

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2003, 05:02:41 AM »
Haha, Siggy.

Good story mate. So the irony continues for PeeCee gamer geeks abound, yes?

I await more funny stories at the hands of my Amigan brothers, can I get an Alleluyah!

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2003, 06:44:37 AM »

Siggy wrote:
If programming assem on the Ami was like whittling (where you enjoy passing the time and then look on in wonderment afterwards at what you've created), then assem on the x86 is like masturbating with a cheesegrater.

Siggy

I couldn't of put it more succinctly myself. Good to see you have the objectiveness that many people lack these days. Although being a past Amiga user would denote that in the eyes of Winblows diehards.

Although alot of Linux and mac zealots would probably argue that Amiga faithfuls would say just about anything to promote their beloved system. I like to think that we really had something special and lost a major contributer to the computing scene, when C= went under. Hell I still consider Atari going under, a detriment to computer users everywhere, despite the fierce rivalry we once shared.

Being an avid Amigan, I'm saying alot when I say this: I would prefer an Atari user anyday than 1000 winblows users. At least their platform was more akin to Amiga's dream of multimedia/games/entertainment powerhouse. And both systems were less prone to inferior programming and bloatware than what we see today on our intel or amd workstations. Ugh.

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2003, 11:46:49 PM »
I see alot of people more recently complaining about the prices of the high end AmigaOne XE's. I'd just like to say that I payed about $700AUD for the Amiga 500 back in 1990 (for a then revolutionary system). Fast forward to 1996 and I was paying $3000AUD for a supposed superior system (Pentiium 100). Mind you I did mention in an earlier post that It felt more like a downgrade for a very looong time. Windows 95 was hardly as groundbreaking as it was hyped up to be.

You might say I got swept up into the whole commotion of Win95 being the be all and end all of OSes. Man! wasn't I duped or what! together with a few million other people at the time.

So I guess what I am saying is that I have no qualms about paying top dollar for something which will be undoubtly superior to windows 95. And since I payed through the nose for a POS x86 back in 96, I could do worse than going back to my system of choice(Amiga) in 2003 (yeah.. like upgrading to windows Longhorn+spyware and a souped up P4 reconditioned typewriter that still can't multi-task without a lag, even if you packed in 4gb DDR ram). That is all.

PS: I heard that m$ marketed win95 so well, that on its release many people ended up buying a copy win95 despite not owning a computer.. some even 2 copies for no reason at all!!! L M A O! Talk about effective marketing techniques... I think it was around this time that bgates knew he was onto something good.

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2003, 12:27:12 AM »

Hammer wrote:

KingTutt wrote:
I see alot of people more recently complaining about the prices of the high end AmigaOne XE's. I'd just like to say that I payed about $700AUD for the Amiga 500 back in 1990 (for a then revolutionary system). Fast forward to 1996 and I was paying $3000AUD for a supposed superior system (Pentiium 100).

I’ll just say that you got ripped off… I only paid Pentium Classic 150Mhz white box system for around $1000 AUD in around the same time period as you.  

I highly doubt you we are referring to the same period (Jan 96) mate. At the time the highest specced Pentium was a 133Mhz, and they were way more expensive. 150Mhz was a few months away. So I was hardly ripped off. I didn't buy from a retail giant like Grace Bros or Harvey Norman, if you know what I mean. However I did buy the Amiga from Kmart (so maybe i was ripped off then - mind you I would gladly of payed any premium price if I was to do that again) Remember that this was a time when the difference between 8mb and 16mb was a few hundred dollars. BTW I chose to go with 16mb EDO RAM at the time. My bad?

Otherwise it was a very sound purchase... I still get the cheapest PC prices from that same guy today. Just upgraded a whole system from there for under $400AUD for a mate of mine!

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2003, 01:32:36 AM »

Hammer wrote:

levelLORD wrote:
@ Hammer

Hi,

Last good RTS game that I was playing was Dune II on Amiga. ;)

Mine would be Starcraft due to the story plot. Warcraft III comes close due added RPG elements.

Two days ago I purchased CC: Generals and nothing, I finished game after 10 hours of playing, 3 campaigns, 7 missions each... That is not a good game, at least for me. ;)

What about multi-player?

I don't want to sound biased or anything. But I have to agree with levelLORD. Altho Starcraft was the best PC offering to the genre, if thats saying anything.

Hammer, believe me you don't want to waste your time with C&C Generals, its a one day wonder at best. Pretty particle systems, nice little vertex/pixel shading effects etc. If you must have nice and pretty, try Hegemonia (Nov 2002), its a Space RTS, but at least its playable, and at least you can marvel at the zoom ins of the wonderfully 3d rendered planets and advanced pixel shaded explosion... oh and those ring worlds... oh those immaculately rendered ringworlds! Did I mention the explosions?

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2003, 01:37:18 AM »

Mike_Amiga wrote:
@KingTutt

Can't have been very good friends, NOT KNOWING WHAT AN AMIGA IS? I'M OUTRAGED! :-x

Your better off without the sort of friends who'll dump you for what they think is  a practical joke. DUMB-ASSES!  :-D

Don't worry dude. I've set them straight since, I'm basically professing Amiga 101, to most of my peers anyways, correcting history as set by the victors... cough*m$*cough.

And yeah... being amiga-ignorant, is no way to get on my good side.

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2003, 06:41:03 AM »
@poweramiga2002

Dude, back in the day I had heaps of Amiga friends. I actually only had one friend who was PC only. And he was very impressed with what he saw on my A500. He used to come around for hours at a time to play games such as Pro Tennis Tour 2, GODS, RBI Baseball, Lemmings 2, WINGS and Panza Kickboxing.

Suffice to say, the dumbass, purchased the PC ports of all the above games, instead of getting an Amiga to play them in their true glory. I used to bag the crap out of him for that. He was in serious loser denial and used to say they were good enough on PC, despite the PC speaker sounds and chunky oversized sprites and lower resolutions, urrrghh!

Anyway, he later confessed that he couldn't afford an Amiga, and on 2 occassions tried to get a 2nd hand one, but unfortunately never quite got one. I guess he at least admitted his real stance on Amigas, which is more than what I could say about his friends. He was the first PC owner I knew, who actually conceded how much more advanced Amiga was at the time, despite his snobby exterior and general condesending attitude towards anything non-PC when with his Pro-PC peers.

Nowadays, many of those friends have long since departed and we have gone our seperate ways. I only keep in contact with the one guy who originally introduced me to the amiga 500 in '87. Him and his dad are still hardcore advocates of the miggy. And I love talking to them at length about the shortcomings of x86 computing, this day and age.