Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PeeCee Gamers ha! What a funny bunch eh. lol!  (Read 4607 times)

Description:

Offline Calen

• Show all replies
Re: PeeCee Gamers ha! What a funny bunch eh. lol!
« on: March 27, 2003, 03:53:53 PM »
Great thread guys and oh so true...

I was quite late getting a PC in life, i would never touch one in the past as i never had the urge/need to get one , to them my friends it was all tweaking this, teaking that, mine is faster than yours, windows is so coool, we can multitask, yada yada yada.
Back then in the mid to late 90s they really didnt believe me i could go online with my Amiga, play Doom on an old 030, play quake on a 60mhz Amiga computer and be able to have dual CPU's and 24 bit gfx cards, there of course like nah you cant do that, same old crap as they live in the PC world that if you didnt have something way above 400mhz (this was a few years ago) and 3d card then its gonna be crap and not do anything, i gladly show them the demo scene that was and is Amiga and point out that these our running on a 7mhz original Amiga 500 that was released around '85, had stereo sound, and could multitask better than your machine could ever dream of.
 When they did eventually see my PPC setup they didnt believe me either it was an Amiga, all i got was no no way and eventually, wow!
Also worth a note was when i brought up how bloated Windows really is and showing them, fine examples our the memory requirements compared to Amiga and showing the size of alot of my Amiga internet programs for an example, stricq/amirc//IB/Yam etc etc that most of which fall below 1MB !

The sad fact is, they didnt know what is was like to enjoy a computer experience, something noone ever seem to have with a Windows machine, i guess for me the Amiga has soul and its a very enjoyable experience, and its not all down to mhz as is clearly showing in the PC world.
When i got my first PC which was a 450 mhz P3 running windows 98, it felt slow, cumbersome, the feel that you don't know whats really going on under the bonnet, and is this CPU really faster than my old 200mhz 603e or my 040/25mhz for that matter?  It for sure didnt respond as quickly and after time i could really start to see why i enjoyed my Amiga so much.

Anyway im sure for some you may start to see the trend all over again, you have a G4 @ 800mhz?   but i have an Athlon running over 2 ghz, you machine must suck!  the windows rules of computing comes back again, but when that comes around, show them what it can do :-)

Anyway enough ranting...but before i go, i dunno about you guys but when i first seen my friend shutting down windows and windows replying "It's now safe to turn of your computer"  i buckled with laughter.  does it also tell you when  your allowed to switch it back on again? ;-)

Offline Calen

• Show all replies
Re: PeeCee Gamers ha! What a funny bunch eh. lol!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2003, 10:45:51 PM »
But how large is the resolution?

Not very big, it couldnt handle it at decent frames rates, but it was running on a 68k Amiga under AGA, something that was touted as impossible not long before and a great achievement since the Amiga was not designed to handle these types of games, but hey..that was what programmers done best on Amiga, pushing every single last drop of power out of it. Nows it all mhz mhz mhz, yes i know, i've heard why bother since x86 h/w is so cheap etc etc.

I dare say if they optimized half of todays games, the h/w requirements for the games would be much lower..so in that respert i wouldnt be suprised to see some fine Games running at fantastic speeds on the new Amiga OS with alot less system requirements than the windows versions.

We may be getting well below 1 GHZ CPU'S and not the very top of the range gfx card 3d support straight of the bat but this will be under Amiga OS, not the overhead that is windows, in that respect we could run anything that is out there today and Faast!. if only it can get the support.