Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GuruROM v6.16 & Speedgeek Adapter  (Read 2918 times)

Description:

Offline thebajaguyTopic starter

• Show only replies by thebajaguy
GuruROM v6.16 & Speedgeek Adapter
« on: February 26, 2018, 10:36:16 PM »
I am in the process of building a new run of adapter boards & ROM with Ralph Babel's and Speedgeek's permission.  Details are on the pre-order thread here: http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?97214-GuruROM-for-GVP-Series-II-and-C-A2091-A590-v6-16-omniscsi-device - This is the same as Speedgeek's last run of adapters a few years ago.

I don't stop in here much, so it's preferred to find me there for a PM if the main post doesn't answer a question.
Former GVP Tech Support 1989-1993 - Bloodied in the original trenches of the Amiga Wild Wild West.

Offline JonRobertson

• Show only replies by JonRobertson
Re: GuruROM v6.16 & Speedgeek Adapter
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 05:43:02 AM »
I would like to be added to your list of interested buyers. However, amibay is not allowing me to register because it cannot connect to the spam database. So I can't post a message on your buyer thread.

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 03:00:23 PM »
Well, we are both in kind of the same situation.  I cannot login to Amibay, and have not been able to for what is now 4 months.

Back in the early Winter 2020, I had a browser profile crap out, and my Windows profile go mad, just before the Win7 to Win10 move needed to be done, and I lost a lot of login info.  I had though I did a sync of my browser to an online cloud point, but nothing was stored in it when I attempted to retrieve it.

I know my Amibay contact creds (email) are accurate, as I had validated them late fall 2019.
I cannot get any Admins on Amibay to respond to the recovery/contact attempts through the recovery interface.
I've asked through persons I know in the Amiga OS Beta and other forums that may know an admin to send word - no response from Amibay admins.
My distributors in Europe haven't been able help me there, either.

As such, AMIBAY IS EFFECTIVELY DEAD TO ME! - i.e. - No admin response = dead.  This is not frustration against the interested GuruROM parties, just Amibay Admins.

At the same time, I have not produced any other adapters since the distribution batch seen in the Aimbay thread. 

There are lots of personal reasons for the delay in producing more, but I am not going to dump them here. I hope to get back to producing them, but for now, I don't have a projection. If I am able to produce more, I will do my best to honor the thread through my distributors, and those that have contacted me via other means, but without access to the Amibay thread, I can't respond there.

As this thread may bubble up some questions/queries on searches, the Amibay technical detail is still accurate.

For anyone that needs the tools (unable to find old ones online) - I did update the Amibay thread with a dropbox link last year.  Nothing earth shattering new in there on the SCSI side. 

I believe it updated the GuruROM's GVPCPUCtrl at one point for the G-Force 68040 to address the command hanging when FastROM was initiated, and also to respond differently when mis-paired with a FastROM v4.x in the board.  Ref: The GVPCPUCtrl tool version changes with GuruROM vs FastROM.  The communications port set up by the ROM drivers are different between them.

Robert

« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 03:05:15 PM by thebajaguy »
Former GVP Tech Support 1989-1993 - Bloodied in the original trenches of the Amiga Wild Wild West.

Offline wizb0

• Show only replies by wizb0
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 10:53:12 AM »
I was curious and did some background resource and tests and the rom fits on 2x 27128 eproms in a A590.
Of course with some code modification (so you don't need an adapter) and permission of Ralph Babel.  ;)

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 12:35:11 PM »
The issues, as you have noted, is making a modified (subset) driver fit in a 16K space (and then split it into hi/lo images).  Having corner cases and multiple versions to support in the field has never been of his interest.  He intends his single driver to support all GVP/A2091/A590 DMA cards with a 33C93A that it may encounter in any given machine. 

Of course, Ralph has always stood firm on his copyright line.  One only has to look at the second edition  of The Amiga Guru Book.  Unless I were to find one of his wish-list items, even I know better than to bring up the subject with him.

I've actually asked him some time ago about including the support which used to be in the GVP 3.x driver for the older Impact I cards.  The adapter makes for much more code space, and could handle it, but there are a number of hurdles to address with the many variations of older Impact cards, and the parts they may have on them.  Also, performance would not improve in most cases (most have no 14MHz SCSI chip clocking option, and a fair amount of the early cards won't have the 33C93 'A' version which supports that clock) beyond what a 3.x driver would provide along with a fast (accelerated) CPU.  The net being more potential support headaches than performance value.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 12:41:51 PM by thebajaguy »