Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS on Power Mac G5  (Read 47078 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show all replies
Re: MorphOS on Power Mac G5
« Reply #14 from previous page: July 30, 2010, 09:44:21 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;572676
Its really time for every amigoid os to make smp a reality. Its the future

By design, no *miga OS can have true SMP, at least not what people outside this community would recognize and acknowledge as being true SMP.
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

• Show all replies
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 10:26:16 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;572694
True, that has been stated several times by many of the MorphOS Team members.  But........... if (big IF) the AmigaOS4.x developers can figure out a way to utilize multiple core usage in ANY way, I am confident that the MorphOS Team members can find a way to do it even better!

I don't think it will that difficult to "utilize" extra cores, but that still won't make it SMP...

• Show all replies
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2010, 09:14:35 AM »
Quote from: Varthall;572714
Take the OS in account, too; given the same apps and similarly specified HW, some people might prefer AmigaOS/MOS/AROS over Windows/MacOS/Linux.

Varthall

Indeed, thanks for that comment! :)

I think it's funny that an Amiga enthusiast has to defend his preferred choice of OS and HW for his Amiga hobby here on Amiga.org. This is something I would expect over at slashdot, i.e. "Linux on x86 is cheaper, faster and better". Well it might be, but it won't be MorphOS. With the G5 support, MorphOS will support the fastest PPC architecture ever made. That's a good thing IMO, not a bad thing. And if it isn't for you, the MorphOS team has showed MorphOS running on a broad spectrum of Mac HW, a whole palette, where each option has it's own individual key benefit:

Mac Mini (Small)
eMac (Cheap)
PowerBook (Laptop)
PowerMac G4 (Cheap, expandable, "real" case)
PowerMac G5 (Powerful)

I know that it isn't Linux on x86, but for an Amiga enthusiast, this is a lot to choose from depending on your needs and wants. This are the best mainstream machines the PPC had to offer, and none of the options will ruin you. MorphOS doesn't run on x86, and the G5 is the most powerful PPC there is. Supporting it is a good thing, not a bad thing, it makes the picture above complete.

• Show all replies
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2010, 05:33:10 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;572826
But, ask yourself seriously though, where do you go after the G5?

When all the above mentioned machines are covered, there doesn't seem to be any more PPC options left to port to that makes sense. They will then have covered the smallest machine, the cheapest, the laptop, 'the cheapest normal case', and 'the most powerful normal case'.

As far as I see it, it would make sense to migrate to a different CPU architecture. ARM or x86.

"But why would they go x86, I mean, how could Amiga *possibly* benefit from the power of modern x86 HW...?" :rolleyes:

• Show all replies
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 05:13:50 PM »
Quote from: kolla;573024
Do you suggest that takemetograndma never put down the X1000?

I have, I do, and will continue to speak my opinions about the "X1000" whenever I see fit. I have no problems with the "X1000" per se though, nor people wanting it. It's their life and their money, and everyone is totally free to throw both away for all I care.

• Show all replies
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 06:01:13 PM »
Quote from: gdanko;573116
I certainly wouldn't say it's throwing money away. These avid golfers spend far more money on golf than we do on computers. It's a hobby and some people are willing to pay more. But for the Amiga experience I'd rather use my existing Mac Mini and just buy the OS.

You're absolutely right. People are totally free to do whatever they want with their lives and money.

• Show all replies
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 07:23:01 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;573030
Actually, I'm rather hoping TMHG has learned a valuable lesson in this thread.

Huh?!???

He's popped up in several OS4 related threads to shoot down OS4 and promote MOS.That, in itself wouldn't have really registered on my radar but there was one thread in particular that stands out. It was created by a poster that was asking specifically what the deal with OS4 was, what was fun and what was cool. He'd already created one for MOS asking the same.

Regardless of this, TMHG jumped into the thread in full fanboy mode to try and persuade the OP what he really wanted to talk about in that thread was MOS. The OP didn't and went as far asking that he desist. And, after some complaints, so did I.

Unfortunately, being in full fanboy mode, it seems he just was incapable of stopping and the thread got derailed further and further.

In the end, the OP was thoroughly put off both options.

Now, in the course of that thread, TMHG was pretty scathing towards the OS4 option.

Online discussions are dynamic. Sometimes a discussion can take a life of its own, and start growing and evolving in various directions. That takes both time and input from *many* people though, one man can't do it alone, but you seem to think so. Usually, many people are involved in discussions, and each and everyone is "guilty" in proportion to the input they provided to the thread, to the way the discussion evolves. But speaking of "guilt" at all implies that it would actually be wrong to speak your opinion in a forum; that some posts are allowed, and some are not. Which of course is insane to begin with. But here you are, publically singling me out as some single culprit(!) guilty of doing something wrong(!), the only one guilty of "fanboyism", and obviously in need of some public spanking, since that is what you are trying to do with your post (publicly speaking of me in third person, listing some vague offenses you think I did wrong in the past, and how you have now corrected me and "teach'ed me a lesson"). From the post of yours I get the impression that you have tried to "teach" me something (and you actually think you have succeded). However, I remember a thread you started some time ago, called "I don't get it". Clearly you *don't*, so you will probably be the last person on this planet that will be able to teach me anything at all. Educating me is not even your role as a moderator on this site. Trying to do so is not even appropriate. You are a moderator (here to keep structural order), not a teacher who sits on the absolute truth and knowledge (here to dictate content). If you think moderation is about the latter, I think you should apply for a job on amigans.net instead. If you see a need to moderate me because some breach of the TOS or whatever - moderate! And either do it *there and then* --- or let it pass altogether! Don't do *this*, whatever you are doing (harassment is probably a too strong word, but a moderator coming back several weeks after an "offense" to "teach a lesson" in a MorphOS thread is certainly a vindictive behavior not suitable for a moderator). I suggest you go back and re-read whatever thread(s) you so vaguely are hinting at, and try to see the input to those threads from the many others, try to see the chronological evolution, try to look at the discussion from more than *the one single side you obviously picked* to look at it from.

And please provide a link to the thread(s) where you think I have been out of line, so I can have a chance of publicly defending myself after this post of yours!

Which is why, in this thread, after I tried to get him to explain why MOS on a G5 would be a better choice than say linux on an x86 for any compute intensive task, the following response made me laugh out loud:

Quote from: takemehomegrandma;572818
Indeed, thanks for that comment! :)

I think it's funny that an Amiga enthusiast has to defend his preferred choice of OS and HW for his Amiga hobby here on Amiga.org. This is something I would expect over at slashdot, i.e. "Linux on x86 is cheaper, faster and better". Well it might be, but it won't be MorphOS.

Well, perhaps next time he'll remember that before he trashes some other amiga user's preferred choice of OS/HW.

Wow. That must without doubt be the worst lesson ever. A moderator of an Amiga site talking down on various Amiga alternatives, just to "teach TMHG a lesson". I have on numerous occasions stated that I couldn't live without x86 and Windows. I have Linux as well. But I'm *here* for Amiga, which in my case is MorphOS. Discussions about pro's and con's of MorphOS vs. OS4 should be perfectly legit on an Amiga site!! It's discussions *within "the family"*. Talking down on Amiga on behalf of Linux, Windows, etc is just weird. Like we wouldn't know the pro's and con's between them and Amiga. Wow. Look, when people say that MorphOS isn't Amiga, I respond. When people say "Don't buy a PPC Mac, because it's second hand", I respond. When people say "Don't buy a PPC Mac because it doesn't come with a warranty", I respond. When people say "Don't buy MorphOS or MorphOS capable HW, buy TEH REEEL!!1!!!", I respond. I have always tried to provide arguments for my posted views that I thought were thought through and valid, arguments that people can respond to without restriction. I thought that would be the way to go. I ask the people *advising against* MorphOS (like user "DAX" for instance, he's like Samface and MikeyC merged into one, but he's obviously not a fanboy, nooo, only "TMHG" is) to put up valid arguments for their stances, like I did. They can't. No rational arguments. That's when they usually goes crawling away to moderators (was it "DAX" BTW?). They like to talk down on MorphOS and its hardware, but they can't take the discussion about it. But *I* am singled out to be the one that must "remember that before he trashes some other amiga user's preferred choice of OS/HW", not those mindless BAF's that trashes MorphOS's user's preferred choice, without even being able to put up valid arguments for it. :rolleyes:

• Show all replies
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2010, 07:33:05 PM »
Quote from: kolla;573128
Yeah, and MorphOS sucks mostly because of you.

Kolla, I love you to. So very much...

• Show all replies
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 10:23:42 PM »
Let's get down to FACTS for a change:

Quote from: Karlos;573132
@takemehomegrandma
Knock yourself out:

Here is the user's "How is MOS?" thread: http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=50993

Here is my contributions to that thread:

#25 - Me providing some pro-arguments of MorphOS compared to OS4.

#26 - Me providing my bottom line view on MorphOS vs. AROS.

#31 - Took the liberty of clarifying a statement on another user's behalf.

Here is the same user's "How is OS4?" thread: http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53268

Notice the difference? 16 pages, most of which are off topic arguments about the superiority of MOS, contributed heartily to by your good self. I concede, however, you weren't alone in doing so.

OK, that thread has #319 (!!) posts, of which I am "guilty" of *18*!(!!!) That's about *301 posts less* than one could believe after reading your post above, and seeing your actions in this very thread!

How about *actually reading* them this time? And I mean, reading them all, not just mine! Especially read the posts and the discussion threads to which I'm responding to! Watch how the thread evolves. Look how people contributes. What they are saying. It takes many people to move a discussion forward, not just one, not just "TMHG" (with his massive 18 posts).

I'm actually one of those who contributed *the least* (AND THIS IS A FACT) of all those people posting more than one or a few posts in that thread. As far as I can tell, the majority of pages *scrolls by completely without a single contribution from me*!

Look at DAX's mindless ramblings in that thread. Look at his post count! Look at the contents of his posts! That's no sign of "fanboyism", nooo, only "TMHG" qualifies as a fanboy in that thread.

There are lots of gems in this thread, from lots of people! Like the few but valuable contributions from "Kolla"...!

Yet you choose to hang me out like some kind of "troll" that "has now been taught a lesson by this powerful moderator" (Muahahaaa)!

Well, my own contributions to the monster thread starts at page #2, with post #16, a post *agreeing with you* that comparisons of the Sam should be with the Efika (both being "G2" based motherboards), and then extending it by providing info for som actual comparisons. Then my contribution continues with:

#42 - A reality check. The OS4 option might be that expensive, but the guy is saying it's the MorphOS that is, and while MorphOS is cheaper it still offers more.

#49 - Once again agreeing supporting *your own* idea that it's too early to compare Fire^H^H^H^H "Timberwolf" with the currently available browsers.

#51 - Agreeing with the OC that the discussion should focus on OS4. Nothing bad at all in that post IMHO. However, as I said above, discussions evolve in mysterious ways, and it takes many people to accomplish that.

#59 - (After discussion being continued by others, not me!) If you are ready to discuss pro's with alpha (Timberwolf) software, you should also be prepared to discuss con's? But maybe it's indeed too early?

#96 - Agreeing with others that MorphOS is the best (the only) measuring stick if you want to know how OS4 performs and what it will deliver. And after beginning to get a bit provoced by some of the posts in the thread this far, I also throw in a post of my views in the same spirit as most of the other posts made by other people.

#126 - A simple meta comment about DAX crawling to moderators (as he usually does when he has gone out on too deep water :))

#166 - Simply agreeing with gazgod that DAX obviously is uneducated...

#182 - Beginning to completely flipping out on DAX! Being the underdog here, I'm showing him that his "argument" about being "a true Amigan" goes unmodified the other way around. I then go on responding to him in his own posting style. Maybe he will understand his own downgrading language?

#183 - The OC has got his answers. Good! Topic/discussion should be free then...?

#194 - Explaining my take on realistic expectations of the term "warranty" when it comes to unknown upstarts. Putting this in context with Apple, since someone obviously thought Apple's customer service would be less secure than the upstart.

#195 - Spelling out the obvious facts (provided by others) in a more colorful way, to make it visible to the people who obviously can't comprehend!

#200 - Flipping out even more on DAX! I'm yet again showing him that his "argument" about TEH REEELL!!11! goes unmodified the other way around. Providing examples even. I then go on responding to him in his own posting style, but including rational arguments and mathematical truths. Maybe he will understand his own downgrading language?

#201 - This one doesn't even count, only clearing some thing up...

#202 - Getting tired about "Car" analogy. (On Samface's era, it was "cola" (pepsi/coke) that was used I think.)

#203 - Getting tired about the usual cries for moderation when running out of rational arguments.

#280 - Trying the same strategy on DrHirudo I previously tried on DAX, i.e. copying a statement the other way around.

#283 - Totally flipped out on DAX now. (OK, that post of mine was a little trollish perhaps ;), but not uncalled for in the context ;))

And that was the last post by me in that thread, which countinues to count up to #319 posts.

There is a word that springs to mind after your epic butthurt and complaining about the meany mod making you "defend your platform of choice" after the above thread.

I can't say I had expected an apology. But that comment, rubbing salt in the wounds, made my regards for you vanish completely!

Gone!

Anyone not completely blind will see that *my* contribution to those threads were *very minor* in comparison to other people's posts. Yet I'm getting 100% of the blame, for some problem that *I'm not even sure exists* outside a few peoples brains?

And what's even more disturbing, is the fact that you obviously has *spent time* and *quite a few posts* here in this very thread, with the only purpose of "retaliating", "teaching a lesson" etc. Are you trying to "get even"? On *ME*? A vindictive behavior I would have expected from some of the users on AW.net or amigans.net, not from an official moderator of Amiga.org. Why? Disturbed indeed!

And why you have appointed *ME* as your target, is beyond my comprehension! Clearly *it isn't* my contributions to the threads you quoted...

Did someone tell you to do this? Who?

Three pages of perfectly matter-of-fact information about MOS, without any red trolls diving in and making a mess

Are you saying that Red Trolls never post mis-information about MorphOS or its Hardware?!?? Red trolls are everywhere!

I made 18 posts in a #319 posts thread. One or a few of those (tops) could be considered inflammatory. And instead of judging me based on my own merits, you self-decided to take out your anger on the "Blue Collective" on *ME*! You have appointed me to some kind of collective whipping boy, following me here to this thread, making several posts with the only agenda of retaliation.

And you think it's strange that I react the way I do!

...and facts *still* remains:

"You Don't Get It"!