Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "A couple of clarifications" from Bill McEwen  (Read 15609 times)

Description:

Offline SystemTopic starter

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
"A couple of clarifications" from Bill McEwen
« on: September 20, 2006, 06:33:35 PM »
I received this in e-mail just now from Bill McEwen (CEO, Amiga Inc), in regards to the 25 Q&A session from earlier.  Hope it helps...

(Permission was granted to post e-mail).

Wayne,

A couple of clarifications for the Amiga.org users who participated in the earlier Q&A session.

1.  The Security Certificate address is correct.  Amiga, Inc. (Delaware) has a Washington office, and we used that address when we acquired the certificate.  Delaware is a very popular state to incorporate in, and many, many companies that do their business from other states are incorporated in Delaware.  Dell and Hewlett-Packard are just two examples out of thousands.  There are many reasons to have your company a “Delaware” corporation and we are just one of thousands.  I am not sure why this was a problem for some in the community as we are just trying to make sure that we get it right as we move forward.

2. I want to make sure that it is understood that we at Amiga want OS 4 to ship and to ship on a variety of hardware.  We would not have spent the money for the embedded products if we did not think that OS 4 could fit into the long term as well as short term plans of the company and the community.  I probably spoke too loosely when I referred to certain things being "in the hands of the lawyers" and so forth.  People can (and did) interpret this in a variety of ways, some of which were far away from what I intended (a lot spicier, but wrong).  What I meant to get across was that we are in discussions, and that some of these discussions involve our lawyers talking with their lawyers (we are talking about legal documents, after all) -- and we have every reason to believe that everyone will continue to get along just fine.  Anyone looking for blood and guts will just have to be disappointed.  (It is a very interesting experience having your every word interpreted, re-intepreted, misinterpreted, analyzed, dissected, spun, massaged, clarified, confused, etc., etc.  You should try it some time.)

I will be spending some more time in the next couple of days to try and better clarify my answers, where questions have come up.

Bill McEwen

Offline Skyraker

• Show only replies by Skyraker
    • http://www.wolves.co.uk
Re: "A couple of clarifications" from Bill McEwen
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 07:02:01 PM »
The Delaware thing is bang on. It makes sense to be registered there, a LOT of US companies are but there is no physical entity there (theres not much of anything in delaware tbh)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have the body of an 18 year old ......... I keep it in the fridge.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline NomadOfNor

• Show only replies by NomadOfNor
    • http://www.joshua-wopr.com/phpBB/
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 07:17:16 PM »
I notice that item #2 in that mail takes the wind out of alot of cynical, pessimistic interpretation I have seen being waved around, and banged over people's heads, as if it were incontrovertible fact...
I am NomadOfNorad...  Unfortunately, the username was two characters too long for the system here...   :lol:

Offline billchase

• Show only replies by billchase
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 07:19:16 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.  This a major help.
And thank you again for letting the community
know what is going on.

C Snyder

Offline Troels_E

• Show only replies by Troels_E
    • http://www.amigabounty.net
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 07:24:15 PM »
QUESTION: Am I right when i believe the state of Delaware gives companies some benefits that other American states doesnt provide? for example regarding tax and/or responsability??

Thanks for the clarification Bill, it's nice to see you showing some interest in the community. Just settle things with Hyperion in a decent manner (which it sounds like you both want to do) and get OS4 released on some good hardware.

I hope OS5 will be a direct step further from OS4.

Best regards
Troels
The bounty site for AmigaOS4 www.amigabounty.net

Offline Hans_

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 07:25:06 PM »
Thanks for the clarification. Hopefully this will calm people down a bit.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

Offline JuSho

• Show only replies by JuSho
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 07:27:56 PM »
If that helps, at least I think would have tried to understand your answers that way (and I think I was pretty successfull with my attempt - at least it matches now).

I think there are at least some people with a sane mind here  :crazy:

Offline NomadOfNor

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 07:43:15 PM »
One thing I'm curious about:  Persons from one or more of the different companies developing OS4-capable machines have stated that they haven't heard anything back from Amiga lately.  That a month ago, Amiga seems to have stopped talking to them, or replying to their emails...

I say, it's time for Amiga to start talking to those companies again... or to at least give clarification of that.  It is another one of those things that people on the forums are banging each other over the head with, and that too must stop.   :madashell:
I am NomadOfNorad...  Unfortunately, the username was two characters too long for the system here...   :lol:

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 07:44:17 PM »
Oh here we go just more BullSh*t from the same old people well let me tell you what....

Nah, just kidding, :-) I think we all appreciate the update.  I seems like we are seeing a lot more communication going on the last week or two.  I think a lot of us have been waiting 10 years or more and can't help but feel we are entitled to know what's going on.  We may not be, but it sure feels good to hear news any news after all these years.  Thanks everyone, Bill, Hyperion, maybe even Troika ;-)
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline smithy

• Show only replies by smithy
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 07:49:39 PM »
I notice that item #2 in that mail takes the wind out of alot of cynical, pessimistic interpretation I have seen being waved around, and banged over people's heads, as if it were incontrovertible fact...

Exactly how?  There is no meat or substance in #2... What do you think #2 actually says in plain English?  I can't make any sense of it.

Offline NomadOfNor

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 07:53:28 PM »
@smithy

Well, alot of people came away thinking there was some sort of lawsuit and counterlawsuit going on between Hyperion and Amiga Inc.  This dispells these  utterly nasty speculations.

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 07:54:45 PM »
@Troels_E

Delaware made some laws in order to attract businesses. Credit card companies, especially, like Delaware. It's gotten to the point where if you gert an envelope with the name mysteriously left off the return address, you know it's going to be a junk mail credit card offer because it's from Delaware and you don't know anyone from Delaware.
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline drewz21

• Show only replies by drewz21
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 08:04:24 PM »
Thanks so much for the latest update.  Look forward to more info!
Amiga - The fun computer!

Amiga 500 - 3MB, A590, 250MB HD, SupraTurbo28.
Amiga 1200HD - 32MB, 4GB CF-Card, GVP 68030-40Mhz.
Amiga 600HD

Offline AmigaBlitter

• Show only replies by AmigaBlitter
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 08:24:35 PM »
Gimme Five, Bill.

OS4 is in the heart of the users, hyperion too. We can only see Amiga Inc. and Hyperion Working together. No war. This is the last change for Amiga. I hope you know this.

;-)
It\\\'s time for the Amiga to come back

Offline Colin_Camper

• Show only replies by Colin_Camper
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 08:26:21 PM »
This is great.

Your clarifications are pretty much where I interpreted your answers first time round. I can understand where the cynics and naysayers come from though! :-o

It's good that everyone is talking again - I am looking forward to the new OS4 hardware!

I hope you can even work a good deal with your old adversaries - OS4 needs to be shipping on a mature, solid home before this christmas!
Colin Camper CCNP MCSE P45 UB40
A4000D