Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Inc answers your questions (updated)  (Read 39511 times)

Description:

Offline legion

• Show only replies by legion
Re: Amiga Inc answers your questions
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 02:25:14 AM »
@humppa

Wow, is this a threat? :lol:

Hmmm... lemmee rephrase that:

"If OS5 is just TAO's extended JavaVM, further extended, I'm buying a peg after I punch humpaa in the pancreas. I'm not even kidding."

There, fixed it   :-D
Have you hugged your KennyR or Paul Gadd today?

Offline SystemTopic starter

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 02:29:17 AM »
It's not really that hard to understand.  Hyperion started work on OS4 (presumably) in 2004.  Something sent up a red flag and Amiga Inc themselves started working on OS5 to run on multiple platforms like they always stated.

Whether or not OS5 shares anything with OS4 or not remains to be seen.  One thing is for certain.  It would have been nice if AmiWest was more than one day because it sounds like may be shaping up nicely if Amiga shows up.

Wayne

Offline pierre

• Show only replies by pierre
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2006, 02:29:28 AM »
I hope to the high heavens that OS5 is not just a new version of amiga anywhere... not the fist time a. inc used the name amiga in vain!  please please tell my this in not the plan.

Offline mr_a500

• Show only replies by mr_a500
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2006, 02:31:11 AM »
"If OS5 is just TAO's extended JavaVM, further extended, I'm buying a peg after I punch humpaa in the pancreas. I'm not even kidding."

That's pretty tricky, going for the pancreas. I tried punching someone in the pancreas before, and I just hit the spleen (like a bloody fool).

Offline -BobW-

• Show only replies by -BobW-
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2006, 02:32:36 AM »
I have absolutely no interest in OS5.  I will simply never buy the product.  

For me OS4 was the way forward.  Now it looks like it's obsolete before it's ever released.  I feel like I did after the original Commodore bankruptcy.

All this new OS is going to do is fragment the market even more.
Amiga 500 GVP A530 Accel + SCSI2SD + 8 MB RAM and OS 2.04
Amiga 1200 GVP \\\'030 Accel + 32 MB RAM and OS 3.9 BB3
Amiga 4000 Cybervision 64/3D Mk-II + Warp Engine 4040 128 MB RAM and OS 3.9 BB3
Micro A1 866 Mhz and AmigaOS 4.1
PowerMac G4 1.4 Ghz and MorphOS 3.9
Mac Mini G4 1.5 Ghz and MorphOS 3.9

Offline Dagon

• Show only replies by Dagon
    • http://www.amigasympan.gr/depa
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2006, 02:37:08 AM »
they could have it as another product of Amiga inc that goes ontop AmigaOS 4.0... like java. Then Amigans could create content for it and enjoy content from others that have other platforms. After all OS 5 isnt it a hosted OS?
\\"So we must exercise ourselves in the things which bring happiness, since, if that be present, we have everything, and, if that be absent, all our actions are directed towards attaining it\\" - Epicurus

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2006, 02:40:31 AM »
With regard to the hardware question, I can only state that I have responded to “every” query that has been sent. So that we do not have vendors appear and disappear leaving the end user holding equipment that can not be supported, Amiga asks a series of questions of the person who has made the request. I can tell you that with the exception of two groups, nobody has ever returned with acceptable answers.

I sent multiple emails to the prescribed technologylicensing@amiga.com but never received any response whatsoever. Not a list of questions, not an empty email, not a header, nothing at all. This was April or May 2005. I used YAM at the time, which doesn't to my knowledge have any built-in filtering that might have thought Amiga Inc.'s response was spam, I had to delete all that by hand back then. I'm not sure what other black holes might have eaten potential responses to the 3 or 4 inquiries I sent. A later answer he mentions they stared looking for a hardware partner in November 2005, after I'd given up on them.
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline pierre

• Show only replies by pierre
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2006, 02:42:10 AM »
Bill you say....
"In 2003 Amino began the sale of “all” of the Amiga assets to Itec and then KMOS. In the end, KMOS, Inc. purchased all of the assets of Amino Development (including the trademarks) in two transactions. KMOS, Inc. then changed their name to Amiga, Inc. (The quote from Garry Hare came from a time between the two transactions, when KMOS owned certain Amiga assets, but not the trademarks (yet), so it was true at the time. Once KMOS acquired the trademarks, the quote was no longer true.)

This was an asset purchase agreement, and once completed, Amiga, Inc. of Washington (which now owned nothing) closed its doors. Most of the employees accepted employment with the new company (three did not). For the sake of convenience in these answers, I will refer to Amiga in all of its incarnations as “Amiga,” but the Washington Amiga and the Delaware Amiga are unrelated."

soo all I can get out of this is that YOUR AMIGA inc. owns NOTHING,  it now all belongs to kmos.  Infact it sounds like YOUR amiga Inc was disolved!
do you now work for kmos? (renamed amiaga inc.)
If you got rehired there,then YES, you did quite a bit of a legal schuffle IMO.  

Please don't try to pull the wool over our eyes with marketing gobely goop.

When can we expect a NEW product from A Inc?
(I don't plan on supporting you like I did with amigaSDK ever again, so it must be GOOD to get my money)

You guys have done the WORST PR job I have EVER seen and will have to EARN trust in this community, as the old lies still hurt.  Don't expect me to treat you like you not just another upstart with a shaky bussiness plan (if any).  I seriously doubt you guys are makeing a $500.000 profit.

In Amiga terms you guys are newbees, let us know if you when you need help.

"OS4 dev. is up and rocking!"
mr. bill m. years before they even started.....

Offline Englyst

• Show only replies by Englyst
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2006, 02:42:30 AM »
Thank you Bill for that insigt into what's happening with Amiga Inc. I for one was getting worried about progress and how you were holding up. Seems communication dried up for quite some time. But I got my T-shirt :-D

I'm glad to hear that things are moving forward and I still cannot believe that some people starts to put out negative reply's to these answers you have put up. When finally sticking your head out with a very wanted response it's getting treated like a soccer ball at the World Championships. :-P

I for one (I'm an old Amiga fan and have 4 running at home) is relieved to hear that there's much more going on behind the scenes than I had initially thought, and I hope we will see the fruits of your hard work sometime soon.

My very heartfelt condolences for your tragic loss of your daughter. That would have stopped most people in their tracks I believe.

A great thank you here from Denmark and the best of luck for the future.

P.S. Please get amiga.com redesigned ;-)
Regards,

Michael Englyst
AmigaOne uA1 · 512 MB RAM · 180 GB HDD
A4000/040 · Mirage 4000 Pro · 18 MB RAM · 1.5 GB HD · OS 3.9 · Voodoo5 5500 PCI · Realtek 8129D
A4000D/030 · 6 MB RAM · 80 GB HD · DVD-RW

Offline Argus

• Show only replies by Argus
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2006, 02:43:50 AM »
I think we all appreciate the update....but....who wants/needs OS5? It'd sounds akin to Microsoft promising Vista before XP even got released.  Strange indeed. And so much for an 'October Surprise' OS4 on PS3.....Seriously, nothing really new here, I could have sworn I read the same stuff in a 2000 edition of Amiga Format (RIP).

I, for one, want OS4...a desktop OS for PPC or x86 (who really cares about the cpu at this point?).  If I ever think in the future my toaster or coffee maker needs 'digital convergence', then I guess we could talk about your AmigaAnywhere/OS5 (dumb name though imho).

And really...$500,000.00 revenue requirement?  Are you serious?  What's Amiga's revenue?  At last count there were maybe a handful of manufacturers still making anything Amiga (Eyetech has divested from Amiga afaik and from what I read Jens is seriously considering hanging it up).

In summary, I think you're going to have to do better than giving us re-hashed Year 2000 plans in 2006.  My suggestion: Drop this silly notion of OS5, hand out OS4 hardware licenses like candy and open the platform to 3rd parties.  Although it's probably already far too late...
posted on A2500+ C=2620 14MHz/8MbFast/1MbChip
dialed in @34K
Just livin\\\' the dream...

Offline Amiduffer

• Show only replies by Amiduffer
    • http://www.geocities.com/laverdiereaf/
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2006, 02:54:43 AM »
"The first thing we do, is kill all the laywers"

:destroy:

Will Shakespeare  

:admonish:  

A big thank you to Wayne and Bill for taking all this time to put all this out.
Amiga 3000D UP and running! Hear that clicking. 8)
Amiga 3000D & 4000D in storage sadly.

Offline Plaz

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2006, 03:01:22 AM »
Nice replies by Bill. I'll just be over here in the corner waiting on products to go along with the answers. I wish he could throw us more of a bone, as in some photos of software or hardware projects they have going on. Strage to be talking about OS5 and 6 when I've just wished to be able to afford hardware to run 4.

I have a lot of thought running around after reading all this, but I'll just some it up as ..... Go Amiga.

Plaz

Offline bassdude

• Show only replies by bassdude
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2006, 03:01:41 AM »
This made me chuckle too:

"Over the next 5 years you will see OS 4, 5, and version 6 in the market along with supporting builds and infrastructure across several digital devices."

However the question was basically asking - Do you have a roadmap? So I guess they do and there it is. Whether it happens or not who knows!

And I guess I don't care much anymore. I will always be interested in what happens with the amiga OS but I doubt i'll end up buying a new amiga because the soundcards I use for recording (creamware) will never run on an amiga.

Offline Plaz

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2006, 03:09:15 AM »
Welcome Bassdude. First post I see. I've always been partial to TurtleBeach cards. Wouldn't it be great to put current recording hardware on AmigaOS again. Mark of the Unicorn, ProTools..... Nothing like going to your favorite hardware vendor and finding a download section for Amiga drivers..... ah silly dreamer.

Plaz

Offline benJamin

• Show only replies by benJamin
    • http://cms.jaminjay.com/
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2006, 03:19:25 AM »
Confidence raising (even when reading between the lines)!

Now, can we answer a question a week so these huge deluges never need happen again?

==========

Reading the AmigaOne agreement a bit, the second page states that Amiga OS 4.0 is those features described later in the document and Amiga OS 4 is anything over and above that.

I nearly cried when I couldn't get to the Hyperion website.  FIX IT! FIX IT! FIX IT! FIX IT! FIX IT! FIX IT! FIX IT! FIX IT! FIX IT! FIX IT! FIX IT! FIX IT! FIX IT! FIX IT! FIX IT! FIX IT! FIX IT! FIX IT! FIX IT! FIX IT! FIX IT! FIX IT! FIX IT!

=============

Condolences to you, Bill.

Keep up the great work, Wayne.

benJamin
"This time, please keep us in the loop?"
Amiga.org - The site for MiniMig support and news.
blakemilesmusic.com

Offline bassdude

• Show only replies by bassdude
« Reply #29 from previous page: September 14, 2006, 03:21:04 AM »
@ Plaz

Thanks for the Welcome. Been here for years and years just never posted. I'll take creamware over protools. :-D

It would be nice to get some serious audio apps running for amiga. Maybe one day. (creamware never though so i'll still have to run peecee  :-( )