Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Important forum config issue found.  (Read 3287 times)

Description:

Offline WayneTopic starter

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
Important forum config issue found.
« on: May 25, 2009, 03:38:11 AM »
The forum displays have now been fixed, thanks to Motrucker's bug report.

For some unknown reason, each forum was set to ONLY display threads from the last day, sorted by thread title, Ascending (alphabetically).  I don't know whether that happened on the initial import, or whether one of the module installations changed it without me noticing, but each forum has been changed to;

Show threads from the last 30 days;
Sort by last post time;
Descending

This should be much more akin to the way Xoops displayed forums.  PLEASE NOTE that if you posted in the last few days, your post has NOT been deleted, it merely wasn't being displayed properly.  It should now be correct.

This is one of the main reasons I needed the "bug report page", and I do sincerely appreciate the help in finding these things, as I'm just one guy with failing eyesight and a short attention span.  :)
//* Signature Free *//

Offline AmiDelf

• Show only replies by AmiDelf
    • http://www.amitopiatv.com
Re: Important forum config issue found.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 12:36:30 PM »
I like the work that you have done Wayne. Very nice and clean site. The theme is refreshing too.  Keep up the good work! You do a fantastic job!
I love and respect people which care! And not those with
a heart made of stone.

• Winning!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 01:54:28 PM »
Quote from: AmiDelf;456153
I like the work that you have done Wayne. Very nice and clean site. The theme is refreshing too.  Keep up the good work! You do a fantastic job!
Thanks very much!  I know how hard it was for some to get used to the massive changes, but I truly appreciate the continued support.

Now if we could only get back the 1/3 of all the visitors who abandoned us because of the change...

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 01:57:22 PM »
Quote from: Wayne;456164
Now if we could only get back the 1/3 of all the visitors who abandoned us because of the change...

Their loss...

Leaving this site because of the new forum system would be like turning your back on an old friend because you didn't like their new car.
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline GadgetMaster

• Show only replies by GadgetMaster
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 02:53:24 PM »
Quote from: motorollin;456165
Their loss...

Leaving this site because of the new forum system would be like turning your back on an old friend because you didn't like their new car.

I think the number of people who have recently joined could balance things out a bit if they stick around.

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 03:05:24 PM »
Quote from: motorollin;456165
Their loss...

basically, yes!

I can see if some people are just waiting for the dust to settle, but if anyone left permanently, well, they just seem very weak
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

• Winning!
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 03:18:41 PM »
Just did some basic digging in AWSTATS for this month and found a couple of interesting things;

Overall visits per day since May 15th are down approximately 1/3
This could seriously be just a "google bot issue" since the forums were only displaying one day's threads.

Despite having all the content back except news and links (coming soon)
We even have MORE features (by a factor of 2) than before, but the daily bandwidth (data transfer) being used by the site has been cut by half.  I don't know whether that's a lighter theme or fewer users, or -- most likely -- a combination of both but where we were once dragging out 1.5 to 2 gigabytes per day, we're now down to about 750 to 900 megabytes.  

THIS is very helpful but I'm sure it will go back up once the search bots get their footing again.

For now, I'm just going to write off that 1/3 as bots.  If it's more than that, and people just upset because we're not built for classic Amiga browsers, then frankly as you said, "their loss".

/me resists putting the Arcade online (50+ flash games) just to piss them off further.. :)

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 09:37:13 PM »
/me resists putting the Arcade online (50+ flash games) just to piss them off further..

Aww, come on. Yeti Penguin Throw is great... You have to put that up!
int p; // A

Offline motrucker

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 12:08:14 AM »
Glad I could help a little. I think the change over went fairly smooth considering how different it is. I personally really like what this has grown into.
I used to be involved with C-64/128 and Amiga BBSs ages back, so I sort of understand things from Wayne's standpoint too.
I can not imagine people jumping ship here over such trivial issues. I agree with the consensus, it's their loss.
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+