Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Want the ultimate Amiga game machine?  (Read 3810 times)

Description:

Offline CatHerderTopic starter

• Show only replies by CatHerder
Want the ultimate Amiga game machine?
« on: November 12, 2004, 02:15:52 AM »
Get an XBox.

I'm not kidding - networked to a real computer (yes a PC) you can have video streaming, video on demand, etc., along with MAME and it's 7500 (only counting the good ones) games, and then the XBox Amiga emulator simply rocks (it's very stable).

Even the CD32 titles not only work, they load off original CD32 CDs.

The graphics are astounding on the XBox actually - and the reason is simple. Amiga games were designed to be played on "fuzzy" screens. 1084 monitors were basically little TV screens, and not the tiny dotpitch found on current monitors. It's incredible how much better all Amiga games in UAE look on a TV compared to on a 19" monitor.

If you are planning on building the "ultimate gaming machine" just go drop $190 on an XBox, grab MAME and it's ROMS, grab the XBox Amiga emulator and a pile of ADFs, plug it in to your TV and you have around 65,000 games at your fingertips and it didn't cost you anything more than the original XBox purchase. (You can't build a PC that's as fast as the XBox for the price either.)

A very enjoyable discovery in my neck of the woods.
[color=000099]CatHerder[/color][/i]
Go Graphical Website Design is what I do.
My eBay World <- Amiga swag, if any.

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
Re: Want the ultimate Amiga game machine?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 02:17:56 AM »
Posted by Bill Gates? ;-)

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 02:28:47 AM »
Say whatever you want about Microsoft...

I'm telling you the XBox rocks for emulating just about anything. The key is to install the alternate Dashboard (once you do you can't connect to the XBox Live network or your machine gets banned for life), BUT... once you do the software "patch" and have your new dashboard you all of a sudden have a game machine that does everything -- especially when you replace the hard drive with a larger Maxtor 120 or 160. MAME, Amiga, ATARI, NES, SNES, Intellivion, NeoGeo, Jaguar, etc etc all on one little box. :)

I will put together a couple comrehensive FAQ's for Amiga emulation gamers to edcate them about the beauty of the XBox sometime in the future (our months of trial and error and experimentation results in a 2 hour setup time for everyone else). I'm sure some people will really appreciate it  -- and the XBox controllers almost seem like they were MADE to play Amiga games! :)

Offline gizz72

• Show only replies by gizz72
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 02:30:06 AM »
Greeting,

'Amiga in an XBox'. Sounds nice :-) but I prefer a MicroA1 using MAME for OS4 and play almost all Xboxes title. I just don't sound so realistic though. :-(

As Luke Skywalker would say, "I'll never join the DARK side" :lol:

Nice Idea. :-)

Regards,

Gizz
Good day to all Amigans!
Please Check My FaceBook page
or my Resource Blog @ G.A.R.P.

SAM - SAMSUNG DB-Z2 Dual Core; 1 GB RAM; Dual Drive Win7 and IcarosDesktopv1.5.2
GEORGE - TOSHIBA Satellite J41 ; 512MB RAM; Dual Partition WinXP and IcarosDesktopv1.5.2
MANNY - A1200 + CobraDKB \'030 w/ 32MB + DataF

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 03:10:14 AM »
The legality of such an "ultimate" Amiga is questionable, not to mention the 7500 MAME roms.  I'd suggest people still buy an Amiga rather than pirating what's left.  (Legaly released stuff aside). :ranting:
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 05:10:28 AM »

adolescent wrote:
The legality of such an "ultimate" Amiga is questionable,

Yeah right... how it it illegal to run PD software on any compuer, including an XBox? It's 100% legal.

not to mention the 7500 MAME roms.  I'd suggest people still buy an Amiga rather than pirating what's left.  (Legaly released stuff aside). :ranting:

Where did you see any reference to pirating Amiga stuff? There's over 2500 commercial software titles freely available out there (legally). As for the MAME stuff, about 35% of it is also legally released (so that is about 7500 ROMS out of 25,000+).

I really dont know where you've pulled your numbers out of, but they certainly smell stinky to me. I recommend some research!

There are over 40,000 legally available game titles out there in the emulation scene. I am not going to spend $400 putting together a "good" Amiga to play a few games on another computer when I can spend $190 on a GREAT game unit and shove it uner my TV where it belongs. So will millions of other people.

Just because a cheap game console is 20x as powerful as an A4000 is no reason to knock it.

Offline BigBenAussie

• Show only replies by BigBenAussie
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 06:10:48 AM »
Doesn't this require you to mod your XBox?

Offline adolescent

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 06:54:59 AM »
@Catherder

I was responding to your numbers (so if they smell fishy, it's quoted from you).  MAME doesn't emulate 7500 games, nor are there 7500 legally released romsets for it.  Just because you can find them on the net doesn't make them legal.  As for the Amiga and other emulators, to use them legally you'd need to own the original computer/console/game anyway.  So the advantage shrinks tremendously.

Offline Ni72ous

• Show only replies by Ni72ous
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004, 08:11:55 AM »
One thing missing in this thread is the fact that most emulators for the x-box are not legally available for people to download, including WinUAEx, DosBox, MameX etc etc, as these are compiled with microsofts XDK so it is therefore illegal to distribute any binary of the said emulators, and i doubt most people have a legal XDK to compile them, having said that i agree that the x-box is a great machine if modded to use as a multi purpose emulator.

Edit: and before anyone says, yes i know you can download the said emulators from xbins, but xbins is there to help the authors of the said emulators distribute them without reprocustions (?spelling?)
Ni72ous

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2004, 12:40:53 PM »

adolescent wrote:
@Catherder

I was responding to your numbers (so if they smell fishy, it's quoted from you).  MAME doesn't emulate 7500 games, nor are there 7500 legally released romsets for it.

Keep telling yourself that...

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2004, 02:26:44 PM »
thats a pretty good idea (XBox thing).  As for using a emulator on a Xbox.. if you really (and i mean really) cared about being legal..you dont have to own a Amiga to emulate it.. just spend $5-$10 on a 1.3 ROM that way you can officially own a 1.3 rom image.  I played around with the Dreamcast version of UAE..pretty cool stuff.  When it comes to old software, I'm probably almost non-caring about piracy.  (just dont post a link here! LOL)  I downloaded I think almost every game from back2roots.. yep.  @ work, btw. LOL.  Then after buying a few used Amiga's they come with non-original software on top of that.  oh well.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline MrZammler

• Show only replies by MrZammler
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2004, 03:03:39 PM »
Ok, so it might be cool, fast, etc etc, but it's not the real thing...
Anyway is the only way

Offline adolescent

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2004, 04:23:51 PM »

CatHerder wrote:

Keep telling yourself that...

From the official MAME website:

The current version supports 5248 ROM sets, 2946 unique games.

From the MAMEoX 0.84.b3 readme:

Current Ver supports 5061 ROM sets, 2851 unique games.

Here, I've shown you the facts.  Now show me where to download 7500 free games.

Offline adolescent

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2004, 04:28:17 PM »

TheMagicM wrote:
When it comes to old software, I'm probably almost non-caring about piracy.  

I wouldn't expect this from a moderator.  You should be ashamed.  Piracy is piracy no matter how much you think it doesn't hurt.  

BTW, BTTR gets permission to release the games that they have.  Just like ALE, etc.

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2004, 04:39:55 PM »
Well, I'm not the piracy patrol.  What you do on your time is your business, what I do on mine, is my business.  I'll police AO for pirate links etc but I'm not one to tell someone not to do something if its not on AO.  We're all adults here, or so I seem to think, and you should know whats right and whats wrong.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143