Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gold 2.7 release for the Vampire accelerators  (Read 45506 times)

Description:

Offline Gulliver

Re: Gold 2.7 release for the Vampire accelerators
« on: March 05, 2018, 12:27:13 PM »
Quote from: grond;836918
Even if a buyer of the card were _entitled_ to a free upgrade, it doesn't turn the team's work into PAID work. Join the team and try it for yourself. As already mentioned before, nobody in the team got a penny for a year's worth of work on the core.

I am sorry for you, but somebody has then been making profit out of your free work for over a year: as we all know, Vampires arent sold at cost.

I hope you get some compensation for your work.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 02:09:00 PM »
Quote from: grond;836927
Ah, yes? How do we _know_ that?

Know what?

My comment was a reply to your previous stament in which you said, that between other members in the team you worked for free for over a year.

If you refer to know if the Vampire is being sold at cost, that is an exercise that has been done several times by different people, even done by your own team mates. So it is nothing new, and not even a secret by no stretch of the imagination.

Compensation is not always about money. But it is a bit naive to think nobody is making a profit out of it, which has no  negative connotation by itlsef, unless you are being screwed.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 02:34:59 PM »
@grond

I have no doubts lots of money has been invested in this project.
All business involve risks and costs, and that is nothing new either. No risk equals no profit, as simple as that in the business world.

As long as you are are ok with it, there is nothing wrong about it.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 03:37:27 PM »
Simulation, emulation, Motorola, or asic I couldnt care less.

It is about choices: just pick the one you desire most for whatever reason, and let others do their own thing too.

It is okay to have your strong points towards your own choices, we all do. But after having discussions we should all realize that we are in the same hobby.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 11:02:12 AM »
Quote from: OlafS3;837687
ApolloOS is highly illegal from a legal point of view

To find copyright owners and get approval, examine documentations regarding distribution and so on is a lot of work. That is expecially true for former commercial software. I would estimate at least 40% of time is needed for that. To say I do not give a %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@! on laws and simply ignore it saves a lot of time. Cinema4D f.e. what was included is still sold and not abandonware (of course not for amiga and reprogrammed not based on the old sources). So team members should not promote ApolloOS in public to not make them attackable in a legal sense. Vampire is if you look how many devices are sold something commercial so rules and laws have to be accepted. How much profit you do with it is not important.

That last two sentences are probably the most important parts to have in mind.
If you sell something and take advantage of other people's work the law will not be benign or light regarding your doings. If you are doing it without any commercial intent, you will probably get a cease or desist first and can get away stopping those activities without any hard consequences.

On the other hand, some Team members saying that they couldnt contact any of the parties that have rights regarding 3.9 is a blatant lie: Thomas Richter, as an example, is easily available, and recently got back the rights of his contributions to AmigaOS 3.9 (BenchTrash, IOTools, VinCed, etc), so he is one that can be asked for those particular rights. Has anyone of the Team asked him? If he wanted he can probably sue them with a degree of success. So I wouldnt be trying to seek his anger, as it would be a very dumb move. Furthermore, remember AmigaOS 3.9 still has many 3.1 components so both Hyperion and Cloanto could probably sue them too if they wanted.

AmigaOS 3.9 is a mess regarding rights, because there are many entities involved that have different rights, many can be contacted, and many not. Distributing it for commercial purposes, is putting yourself in bad spot because any of those entities can potentially sue you, and they are so many.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 02:13:48 PM »
Quote from: Motormouth;837767
I wonder what Doomy would think about an A2000 with a vampire in it?

He would say that it is nuclear powered :D