Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore Amiga Mini  (Read 43602 times)

Description:

Offline Master Chief

• Show only replies by Master Chief
Re: Commodore Amiga Mini
« Reply #104 from previous page: March 26, 2012, 02:37:58 AM »
Quote from: Yasu;685379
If I took my Windows Vista PC and added a boing ball background on it, it still wouldn't make it an Amiga, right? The same with this stuff. I don't think they could have made a more different product if they tried.

What annoyed me most when I saw a youtube clip about CommodoreOS was how much they tried to impress with computerized *bling-bling*. All that fancy but totally useless effects when doing normal, everyday stuff. It even started to lag when you moved your cursor over too many icons at the same time, because of all the visual effects. OK, I guess you can turn it off, but who are they trying to fool here?

All and all, this is a Linux computer and little more. Except for the nice parts and hefty price tag that is.

I totally agree.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2012, 01:49:22 PM »
Yep, Googling the news it seems they are running out of free publicity, time to break into that fictitious $30 million advertising budget.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline number6

« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2012, 02:44:51 PM »
Quote from: persia;685478
Yep, Googling the news it seems they are running out of free publicity, time to break into that fictitious $30 million advertising budget.

The brief history of that one:

Commodore USA Appoints Korey Kay

The direct quote "Projected budget: $30 million." and from reading the entire article you can see it was meant to be applied over time, not all at once.

Listed on CUSA's Board of Directors

Mr. Kay is not presently a board member. This is explained:

by Leo here

Technology link for Korey Kay:

http://www.koreykay.com/pt7.html

The reference to work done for Commodore in the past is illustrated there.

His current involvement? Dunno.

Offline persia

« Reply #107 on: March 26, 2012, 03:29:42 PM »
Looks like Moochie took his place on the board....

Quote from: number6;685487
The brief history of that one:

Commodore USA Appoints Korey Kay

The direct quote "Projected budget: $30 million." and from reading the entire article you can see it was meant to be applied over time, not all at once.

Listed on CUSA's Board of Directors

Mr. Kay is not presently a board member. This is explained:

by Leo here

Technology link for Korey Kay:

http://www.koreykay.com/pt7.html

The reference to work done for Commodore in the past is illustrated there.

His current involvement? Dunno.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Middleman

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Middleman
« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2012, 05:50:22 PM »
Quote from: persia;685489
Looks like Moochie took his place on the board....

Don't touch Moochie, he's a good dog! He was the one who signed off my birthday present last year! (a CUSA C64x Ultimate) :laugh1:

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2012, 03:44:26 PM »
Just got back from a few days holiday. So catching up with stuff. Been looking over at c-a.org and it seems they are going through yet another round of product updates.

http://www.commodore-amiga.org/forum/27-commodore-usa/13972-whats-the-difference?lang=en#13988

Commodore USA CTO
Actually, we are reassessing our models, specs and prices right now with the feedback we have received since launch.
Current purchasers will be contacted and provided with the new choices to decide how they wish to proceed.
It's all good.

Offline Optimus

• Show only replies by Optimus
« Reply #110 on: April 09, 2012, 06:07:53 PM »
Funny that's the only post referring to a re-config, and there is nothing since.

They do have one member that said he was going to buy a low end one, and Barry promised to rummage the tech department (Leo's desk?) for a mouse for him, because he said he was thinking about getting one from AmigaKit.

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2012, 02:41:36 PM »
Commodore Amigas are going with x86_64

Only CommodoreUSA "Amigas" not the OS. In fact, that is much Amiga as "Amiga" dildo
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline number6

« Reply #112 on: May 23, 2012, 10:40:51 PM »
@thread

Some new advertising apparently coming in the form of contributions to a telemovie:

Commodore USA assists Underground Telemovie

Google search shows the makers of the movie were looking for "geek" hardware to add to the movie.

The art director is looking to get hold of old Commodore 64 machines, Amstrads and IBM PCs for the production.

source

« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 10:48:32 PM by number6 »

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #113 on: May 24, 2012, 02:08:37 AM »
Too bad they don't make any of the computers that the art director is looking for.

Offline CritAnime

« Reply #114 on: May 30, 2012, 10:05:24 PM »
Quote from: number6;694092
@thread

Some new advertising apparently coming in the form of contributions to a telemovie:

Commodore USA assists Underground Telemovie

Google search shows the makers of the movie were looking for "geek" hardware to add to the movie.

source

This makes for an interesting little snippet.

They wrapped up shooting.
All the equipment was returned as far as I can see, along with a few other odds and ends they purchased along the way.
Commodore USA will be in the credits.   

What did they purchase and why did they return it?

Offline AAACHIPSET

• Show only replies by AAACHIPSET
« Reply #115 on: May 31, 2012, 03:12:34 PM »
amiga??  where ?? .....i dont  want emulation  ...what i want is  a new custom chipset   ...bootable  dvd  an a few  other odds  an bods ..usb  be  nice  etc...if i wanted emulation id have bought  one of the amiga one boards
or  similar  ...given this  is a hobby  machine  it doesnt  have to be top of  the range  anything  ..just usable  for games  an internet  browsin  email etc  ..thats why the natami  is  a good idea  ..add ppc  to that  an you have a basic  machine  ..why  is it so hard  for these companies  to  get it  ...
A500 3.1/8meg/2gigscsi ...wants a 040
CD32/SX1/FMV/FLASHDRIVE/  wants sx32pro
A1200  os3.5 030/50/fpu/mmu/2flashdrives/cd/   indivision coming ..............wants a ppc/060  ACCEL :laughing:

Offline vexar

• Show only replies by vexar
« Reply #116 on: May 31, 2012, 07:17:30 PM »
Quote from: CritAnime;686248
Just got back from a few days holiday. So catching up with stuff. Been looking over at c-a.org and it seems they are going through yet another round of product updates.

http://www.commodore-amiga.org/forum/27-commodore-usa/13972-whats-the-difference?lang=en#13988

Commodore USA CTO
I wonder if that has to do with the power supply...

Offline CritAnime

« Reply #117 on: June 02, 2012, 02:25:20 AM »
Nah it was more to do with the fact that people were not willing to spend silly amounts of money for it. So they quickly did a u-turn and dropped the price.

Offline persia

« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2012, 01:57:04 PM »
They are discovering the depth of the keyboard computer market makes a kiddie pool look dangerous and that nobody in their right mind is going to pay huge sums of money to a company that might not be here tomorrow.  Going into the only part of the computer market that isn't growing (desktops) was a move fraught with hazards.  I gave them a generous 50-50 chance of survival in the long term, but watching them so far I'm lowering that to a 40-60 percent chance of survival...

Disappointment doesn't begin to cover it.  There's no vision, no innovation.  They're just a large computer shop...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline CritAnime

« Reply #119 on: June 03, 2012, 01:04:51 AM »
This has been my argument with them for a while. The whole "bigger and better things to come. But in the mean time we need to sell these cheap computers at a inflated price." to me stinks of trying to make a quick buck before the bottom falls out of it. The moment they said they were making c64x with it's custom case design instantly made everyone's expectation of them shoot through the roof. And since then it seems like they are failing to recapture that same spark that got some people so hot and bothered over the c64x.