Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Problem Transferring Large ADF Files With Floppies  (Read 1143 times)

Description:

Offline X-SAS-HighlanderTopic starter

• Show only replies by X-SAS-Highlander
New Problem Transferring Large ADF Files With Floppies
« on: June 22, 2003, 04:15:55 PM »
Hi All, Thanks for all your kind support in the past. Im now struggling to transfer large adf files even when zipped as the dont fit on a normal 720 kb msdos formatted amiga disk. I tryed to format a pc disk with cros dos on the amiga but this didnt work. Ive mastered transfering , unzipping and using adf blitzer and lha but dont know what to do with larg files which dont phiscially fit on floppy. I believe theres programs available to split files and was wondering if these compromise the integrety of the files at all ? Are they the only option with a Bare A1200 with no upgrades except a 240Mb HD ? How much ram can an A1200 Take in the trapdoor BTW ? Without an accelerator !!

Offline Ilwrath

Re: New Problem Transferring Large ADF Files With Floppies
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2003, 04:40:34 PM »
Yes, splitting up the large files is one way to do this.  Typically the option you are looking for in WinZip (or whatever ZIP you are using on the PC) is SPANNING.  You'd want to enable it, and set the size limit to approx 700kB.  (or approx .68MB, if it only allows you to specify in megabytes)  I'm not positive which versions of ZIP on the Amiga support SPANNED sets.  I think there were some that didn't.....

Other options would include connecting your PC and Amiga with a "null modem" cable.  This has the advantage of being able to transfer any file that will fit on the Amiga....  But it has the drawback of being SLooooOOOooWwww, and Error prone, sometimes (unless you use a protocol like Z-Modem that fixes errors)  And, of course, you need a terminal on both the Amiga and the PC, and you need to know how to initiate a null modem connection between the two.  None of that is horribly difficult, but if you don't remember a good part of back from the old days of 2400 baud modems and local BBSs, it can be a lot to learn all at once.  

It's funny that I saw this post right now, because I'm in the same situation, only worse....  I have an A1200, and want to upgrade it to OS3.9.  Of course, I don't have a CD ROM on it......  And I want OS3.9 so I get Genesis TCP going, and can use the PCMCIA Network card I found (it's listed as supported by the .device...)  ........  But, I have a chicken-and-the-egg style problem.  Not easy to transfer a CD image without my networking going....  And not easy to get the networking going without 3.9, which is why I need the CD image.....   Hmm....  Bogus.  ;-)

Offline Revener

• Show only replies by Revener
    • http://www.banished.nu
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2003, 05:13:34 PM »
If I'm not mistaken there is a file splitter prog on Aminet called sploiner that works on both you amiga and PC.
If you have ghosts you have everything

Roky rulz!!!

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2003, 04:47:52 AM »
With Floppies
:roll:

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2003, 06:18:34 AM »
Hi,

I personnaly use sploiner which I downloaded from Aminet, but there are other programs like split and join etc.

Sploiner actually comes with two programs, one for the PC and one for the Amiga.

Try it you like it.

Smerf ;-)
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline AdMartin

• Show only replies by AdMartin
    • http://www.admonish.org/
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2003, 10:12:15 AM »
With fdformat (http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/44251.html) you can format PC disks at 820kB, which should help you a little. Fdformat is best used in pure DOS mode, so it might not work if you're using W2k/XP, but give it shot. There's also a shell program for fdformat, which I haven't tried (http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/44250.html).

For file split/joining, I use ARJ (http://www.arjsoftware.com/), because its system of splitting files on several disks is better than Winzip's, IMO. Unfortunately, the Amiga version of UnArj doesn't support joining files when unpacking, so it must be done by hand. Maybe some GUI solves that, I haven't really looked very hard...

/Martin