Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS and old demos & games  (Read 2193 times)

Description:

Offline eden188Topic starter

• Show only replies by eden188
MorphOS and old demos & games
« on: July 18, 2012, 09:25:49 PM »
Hi all,

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I want to buy a Powerbook to run MorphOS, but before convincing myself, I wanted to know how compatible (if at all) that MorphOS can run all the Amiga demos (old and new), and it would be a bonus if it can run some of the games as well.

Thanks in advance.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Re: MorphOS and old demos & games
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 09:39:18 PM »
I own two 1200's and two 600's so I've never really had a need to run classic games or demos on my MorphOS machine, but I can tell you this.

What ever software hits the Paula or AGA/ECS chipset directly will not work natively, at least without using UAE.

Now with UAE you should be able to play about all games without a hitch, not to mention all demos, unless they require more processing speed such as a 50Mhz 030 or higher, in which case they will not run because the PPC variants of UAE do not have JIT support....

YET, but that is supposed to be on the way in which case those higher end games and demos would then in theory work as well.

On a side note, you will find that some of the old PPC RTG games work fine with MorphOS without the need of UAE, likewise pretty much all Apps that do not depend upon the Amiga's classic Chip set will run just fine (and VERY VERY fast) without UAE as well.

Further more there are a TON of ports and native apps/games written specifically for MorphOS and I'm sure you'll find them addictive!

Quote from: eden188;700566
Hi all,

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I want to buy a Powerbook to run MorphOS, but before convincing myself, I wanted to know how compatible (if at all) that MorphOS can run all the Amiga demos (old and new), and it would be a bonus if it can run some of the games as well.

Thanks in advance.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 12:10:14 AM »
Thank you ever so much XDelusion for the informative reply, I wish I can give you kudos for that.

I have lost touch with the Amiga for at least 20 years and only recently decided to go retro again and relive my younger days.

I have actually bought myself a good A1200 off eBay recently, but since then read that I need additional memory/accelerator to run WHDLOAD in order to run the older games/demos. Looking at the cost of these upgrades (between £70 - £125, memory/accelerator), I thought I might spend that money instead on a Mac mini or Powerbook instead and run MorphOS, hoping it will run the old demos/games, but I also want a dab at the native apps for MOS.

I may still go down the route of MOS since I already have an A1200, although just standard 2Mb, I think it will do the job.

Once again, many thanks.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 12:14:02 AM »
No problem man, good luck!

Btw a 2Mb  PCMCIA memory card and no accelerator will allow you to run some WHDload games, not all, but a fair share.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 12:19:08 AM »
Or a 4Mb card, there might be a alight bottle neck in speed, but I never noticed it.

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 12:21:10 AM »
Thanks, I might consider a memory upgrade if I come across a cheap one. :)