Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS ahead of AROS?  (Read 28057 times)

Description:

Offline OlafS3

Re: MorphOS ahead of AROS?
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2012, 03:18:40 PM »
I want to test the new scalos version in the next days. Wanderer is certainly not a perfect solution but the situation changes every month (of course improves :-) ). Wanderer will be replaced and Zune updated to be there on par with AOS and MOS.

Offline drHirudo

• Show only replies by drHirudo
    • http://hirudov.com
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2012, 03:26:57 PM »
Quote from: darkage;686783
I dont know what the fuss is over with MorphOS... Whats so special about it, reminds me of a Mac OS?

There is nothing special about it. MacOS on Apple PowerBook hardware is better for too many reasons to mention them there.

Currently Amiga.org is down on visitors/traffic, so two-three fans can generate enough fuss about whatever they want. Probably the fans mentioned above are the main reasons for the low traffic, but that's another topic.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2012, 03:29:32 PM »
In regards to the 68k intergration on x86, while it does share somethings in common with something like RunInUAE or EUAE-Load it also has the ability to make it appears apps are running natively on AROS. Windows will be AROS windows, you have aros menus for 68k software, you can run 68k software on its own screens, and so on and so forth.

I think a lot of the confusion surrounding it, is because to be honest its somewhat cumbersome to set-up properly so people give up half way through with a misleading impression. Yes its different to how os4 and mos'es 68k intergration works, but it gives a broader compatibility and really, how many 68k libs does a person use/want to use on os4/mos apart from those that are needed for specific software (in which case aros is also covered has).

Not saying its better or worse, but as far as "NG" systems go I personally dont think 68k implementation should be a focus, so good enough is good enough.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 03:32:22 PM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2012, 03:58:49 PM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;686804
I think a lot of the confusion surrounding it, is because to be honest its somewhat cumbersome to set-up properly so people give up half way through with a misleading impression. Yes its different to how os4 and mos'es 68k intergration works, but it gives a broader compatibility and really, how many 68k libs does a person use/want to use on os4/mos apart from those that are needed for specific software (in which case aros is also covered has).

Using any 68k library from an X86 program isn't that important. Allowing the 68k programs access to the network, hard drive, cdrom etc is. Being able to run a 68k ftp server for example and having it indistinguishable from an x86 ftp server when you connect to it. Sound and graphics as well should be integrated, so either type of software can open screens and play sounds.

Nice to have would be one workbench where iconified apps will appear no matter whether they are ppc or 68k.

Even better would be allowing x86 apps to access 68k datatypes and vice versa (I'm not entirely sure if this is possible, but it's a well defined interface so it might be possible to create a thunking layer). The same for xpk.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 04:01:58 PM by psxphill »

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2012, 04:01:23 PM »
the idea is nice and it would be great to have it. On WinUAE you can include "PC-drives" at startup but I do not know if that is possible in Aros (Janus-UAE) too

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2012, 04:03:58 PM »
combining datatypes (or other components) is certainly not possible. Only if you could use 68k multiview from Aros X86 as preference (instead of the X86 version). But I do not know if that is possble.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2012, 04:10:22 PM »
Yeah, you can share drives and cdrom, etc. Just need to add the device to the janus config file. Different programs can also have their own screens regardless of whether theyre 68k or x86 aros native. Using some 68k dataypes with x86 aros apps could be handy I guess though.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2012, 04:18:56 PM »
is it possible that you use Multiview 68k instead of the X86 version when you klick on f.e. a graphic file? (When you are in Aros X86)

Offline pVC

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2012, 05:24:53 PM »
Quote from: darkage;686783
I dont know what the fuss is over with MorphOS... Whats so special about it, reminds me of a Mac OS?

For me it reminds advanced AmigaOS. Luckily not Mac OS *shrug*.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2012, 05:58:33 PM »
I bought Mac Mini G4 it is arriving soon, I am going to have fun trying out MorphOS now.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2012, 06:17:48 PM »
In short I will say this.

MorphOS feels like a polished commercial project that only gets better with each release. It feels like the next step in Amiga OS progression and is fully configurable. So for instance if you don't like Mac OS then you can configure the new Mac like prefs to work like they did on Workbench. Likewise no one is forcing you to use BoingIconBar. So as far as being Mac like, that's where it ends. Everything else behaves like an Amiga with a form of Magellen installed.

AROS: feels like a ssslllloooowwwllly evolving hobby/toy OS with a few cool bells and whistles to lure you in, but under the hood it can be temperamental, flakey, and crash happy, not to mention that unlike MorphOS rather than feeling like an evolution from Workbench 3.1, it feels like a major step backwards. One release may fix things, the next breaks them and so forth. Unlike MorphOS or Haiku, there does not seem to be a unified strategy amongst developers as to where to take it next. Though again, as I said before it is free and maybe in 5 to 10 years it may become more matured And will able to be used as a serious dedicated OS, but as for now I stick it in the ReactOS camp...

...a nice dream for another day.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 06:22:41 PM by XDelusion »
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2012, 06:48:11 PM »
Comparing AROS and MOS is a little unfair.  Both are good in their own rights.

MOS has the luxury of being a for pay product.  While I doubt that is making anyone rich, even a little income can be a great motivator.  MOS also has the luxury of having a certain select number of machines it'll run on.  While it'll run on a lot of PPC Mac's, I'm sure developing it for known, consistent hardware bases is a hell of a lot easier than the piecemeal "whatever I put together" approach that AROS has to contend with.  I haven't, and likely won't ever register MOS due to problems with select members of the community.  A community I would assuredly need to deal with at some time.  It is a hobby OS - the support structure involves me posting on forums and such, and I'm not going to pay for that pleasure when even just 1-2 of them are just abhorrent to deal with.  Hate to paint a whole fence with one brush like that, but it is true for me.  It only takes one turd in the swimming pool for me to not want to stick my toe in the shallow end.

AROS is a tremendous product in its own right, and undoubtedly gets the short end of the stick a lot of the time, even from guys like me.  I toy with AROS quite a bit lately, but admittedly I don't use it all that much because of the select hardware it'll run on, and I certainly can't expect them to code drivers for graphics cards that are released every 10 weeks.

I see both as a labor of love, really - but there is absolutely zero doubt MOS is a more polished product from the users end.  I've had great luck with MOS, and it supports legacy programs extremely well.  If AROS could run on all my machines, I'd use it a lot more.  The machine I have AROS on also runs as a Amithlon box, which between AROS and Amithlon I actually get more use out of the Amithlon side of that machine.

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2012, 07:26:46 PM »
Quote from: Mazze;686743
Hi,

I've read several times from the blue smurf propaganda department that MorphOS is so way ahead of AROS. Care to elaborate?

I am an AROS developer and find all these 'my amiga-like OS is better then your amiga-like OS' discussions counterproductive. Unfortunately some people here think it is a very important discussion.

I can't speak for all AROS devs but IMO as an AROS developer I find people who use AROS to brag to other amigans don't get what AROS is about. I am developing AROS for the whole amiga community and everybody who wants to use my code is free to do so. Don't mind if he is a classic OS, OS4, MOS or AROS user and/or developer. The only thing I ask is to obey the open source nature of the code.

greets,
Staf.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2012, 07:38:57 PM »
P.S. I am not paid by the MorphOS devs to spread propaganda, my stance is that of an alt OS user who has high hopes for both options.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2012, 07:40:03 PM »
A very good (and refreshing) attitude to have, Fats.  It astonishes me how people are so willing to bad mouth all the other Amiga-like OS variants other than their particular choice.  Different strokes for different folks.

We're all on the same boat with this hobby, but some people still seem hell bent to drill holes in the bow of the very boat they are sailing on, effectively sinking everyone, including themselves.

Offline billyfish

• Show only replies by billyfish
« Reply #44 from previous page: April 03, 2012, 08:04:03 PM »
Quote from: Fats;686835
I am an AROS developer and find all these 'my amiga-like OS is better then your amiga-like OS' discussions counterproductive. Unfortunately some people here think it is a very important discussion.

I can't speak for all AROS devs but IMO as an AROS developer I find people who use AROS to brag to other amigans don't get what AROS is about. I am developing AROS for the whole amiga community and everybody who wants to use my code is free to do so. Don't mind if he is a classic OS, OS4, MOS or AROS user and/or developer. The only thing I ask is to obey the open source nature of the code.

greets,
Staf.

Quote from: Duce;686838
A very good (and refreshing) attitude to have, Fats.  It astonishes me how people are so willing to bad mouth all the other Amiga-like OS variants other than their particular choice.  Different strokes for different folks.

We're all on the same boat with this hobby, but some people still seem hell bent to drill holes in the bow of the very boat they are sailing on, effectively sinking everyone, including themselves.

Thank god!! Sometimes comments like these are like an oasis in the desert. Try as I might I really can't bend my poor little head around the  "My OS rulez, urs suxxxx!" attitude, always reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=gb_qHP7VaZE