Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Switching to MorphOS  (Read 16218 times)

Description:

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
Re: Switching to MorphOS
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 02:42:22 AM »
OK i was thinking on a new tracker with asio, usb midi support... fantasies heh...
a1200 060

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 03:04:54 AM »
Quote from: kickstart;625212
OK i was thinking on a new tracker with asio, usb midi support... fantasies heh...

Let me know when you've got that ready. I'm in.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 05:35:25 AM »
Quote from: mt12345;625198
Abiword for good start? I think I read somewhere about porting to aros.

According to a recent post by Fab, actually a possibility (which up till now I wasn't aware of) for MorphOS.
We'll have to see if someone wants to act on it.
Abiword would definitely be an improvement (and in my opinion, more desirable than Open Office).

Oh, BTW, mt12345 - You chose a really good point to jump in. Things in the MorphOS community really seem to be moving.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 05:38:36 AM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline krashan

• Hardware designer and programmer
    • Show only replies by krashan
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 12:51:49 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;625212
You do not need ASIO on MorphOS. And for USB midi support, a tracker using it is in the work.

Offline mt12345Topic starter

• Show only replies by mt12345
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 01:37:44 PM »
Quote from: Krashan;625269
You do not need ASIO on MorphOS. And for USB midi support, a tracker using it is in the work.

New tracker?

Offline jacadcaps

• Show only replies by jacadcaps
    • http://dreamolers.meanmachine.ch
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2011, 02:26:24 PM »
Quote from: mt12345;625270
New tracker?

Like... DigiBoosterPro 3? :)

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, 03:31:53 PM »
Did anyone try to port Protrekkr? It has some DSP FX, something that's missing in DB?

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, 10:08:04 PM »
(Edit: I re-did the post below. Sorry for any confusion! ;))
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 09:44:50 AM by takemehomegrandma »
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 10:31:24 PM »
Well done ! :)

I remember I tried Office online 2 years ago in some internet-cafe as I had to quickly edit and print my CV. Let me try it again.

Offline krashan

• Hardware designer and programmer
    • Show only replies by krashan
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 08:53:45 AM »
Quote from: mt12345;625270
New tracker?

Yes. It is named DigiBooster 3. It is not an upgrade of DigiBoosterPro 2 but a completely new thing. Public beta versions are available here.

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2011, 09:25:30 AM »
nicolas

FYI Linux ppc implementation of flash  is decent for menus and such. But newer complex stuff chokes it.. (but such flash is rather ridiculous, but however quite rampart)
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2011, 09:43:57 AM »
Quote from: mt12345;625160
But how about:

editing MS Office documents

Well, for your service (:)), I have just tried out the online version of Microsoft Office under MorphOS (OWB spoofing as Chrome).

The online version of MS Office is reduced in features (as seen in the screen shots below); it's kind of rudimentary actually. I think Microsoft's idea with it, is that should function as a way to edit already existing documents created in the "full" version of MS Office (and saved on Sky Drive), rather than functioning as a free, online office *replacement*.

So to answer your question - sure *you can* "edit MS Office documents" on MorphOS this way. It can feel a bit sluggish compared to having the real MS Office on a Windows box, some things more than other (like key repeating, and the fact that it auto-saves your work on a regular basis, which takes a second or two), and the application is prone to crash in some circumstances (like when opening the font selector and closing it again without selecting a font). When the application crash, it restarts, and recreates your document from the latest save point (or auto-save point).

Word works quite OK for what it's meant to do. It's nothing I'd write a book on though! ;) PowerPoint is kind of OK as well. Excel is IMHO the app which suffers the most from the feature stripping.

I made some pictures! :)

Click to enlarge:

MS Word

Just typing some headline, text, and trying the various fonts

Going to insert some clip art. Searching for a butterfly, and find a nice blue one! ;-)

It was kind of big, so reducing it to 50%

Spellchecker doesn't like the word "MorphOS"! Huh?! ;-)

But changing the dictionary language to Swedish...

...renders a whole lot more errors! :-)

MS PowerPoint

Selecting a theme for my new presentation

Entering a title and subtitle in the presentation's title slide

Entering some text into the new slide

New slide with two columns. Entering notes in the note field at the bottom of the screen, trying out how formated text works there. Inserting a blue butterfly from the clip art, and selecting a tilted picture effect for it

Entering a slide title and some points in the left column

Hitting the "show slide show" button. Imagine if this would have opened up in full screen mode instead of inside the browser! :-)

MS Excel

Entering some data, changing the width of some columns

Going to insert a diagram

Diagram inserted, but going to need some editing before I'm satisfied with it

Diagram edited (new title, etc) and repositioned in the spreadsheet

Just trying out some more formating options

There is another Microsoft office application available there as well, "MS OneNote". I have no idea what that is. Have never used in in the "real" Office, and I haven't looked at it here either...

So, There!

:)

Offline nicholas

Switching to MorphOS
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2011, 09:57:06 AM »
Quote from: magnetic;625656
nicolas

FYI Linux ppc implementation of flash  is decent for menus and such. But newer complex stuff chokes it.. (but such flash is rather ridiculous, but however quite rampart)

The LLVM based Lightspark will probably be a better bet once it matures fully.

As it stands Gnash is ok for watching most online video sites that don't have HTML5 yet.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2011, 07:43:36 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;625661
Well, for your service (:)), I have just tried out the online version of Microsoft Office under MorphOS (OWB spoofing as Chrome).

:)

Can't login in to my Windows Live account, ha ha ha. Probably they suspended/deleted my account due to not using for long time. Nevermind.
What else would I need in MOS? GIMP! I'm sure there is some decent equivalent. Any suggestions?
And what about OWB? I noticed Facebook bookmark on your pictures. Does facebook chat work? Uploading pictures in ebay?
How OWB works, generally, what is missing, if compared to Firefox or Chromium?
Oh, how about porting Chromium to MorphOS? Do I demand too much?
My AROS installation is  unfortunately offline, so I can't test OWB.

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2011, 08:26:01 PM »
Quote from: mt12345;625786
Can't login in to my Windows Live account, ha ha ha. Probably they suspended/deleted my account due to not using for long time. Nevermind.
What else would I need in MOS? GIMP! I'm sure there is some decent equivalent. Any suggestions?
And what about OWB? I noticed Facebook bookmark on your pictures. Does facebook chat work? Uploading pictures in ebay?
How OWB works, generally, what is missing, if compared to Firefox or Chromium?
Oh, how about porting Chromium to MorphOS? Do I demand too much?
My AROS installation is  unfortunately offline, so I can't test OWB.

It's a bit annoying that Fab *still* calls his browser "OWB", since it misleads people to think that it's the same thing as... eh, well "OWB" ;) :p AFAIK you can't run this one on AROS. It's a different thing.

It's a very feature rich and complete browser. The latest version (v1.12) is based on WebKit r80266  (March 2011), which is a very up to date version of WebKit. So *this is* (kind of) "Chrome" already. And "Safari". Etc. At least engine-wise, since they are all based on WebKit. So yes, you can definitely chat in Facebook, you can use Google Docs, MS Office, Flickr, whatever. But in a very enjoyable "MUI way", just like in IBrowse if you remember. Heck, this browser actually handles CSS3 better than the current version of Internet Explorer (IE8). That's cool! And it has a real download manager, book mark handler, private browsing, whatever! Very feature rich! :)

This is the first *real* browser on *any* Amiga platform. You can *really* use it, *for real*! :)

Like on any Amiga flavor, the Flash support leaves a lot to ask for. But this one still has the best way to handle Flash of all other Amiga browsers IMHO, and I'm looking forward to see Flash being marginalized in the future by HTML5, CSS3, java, etc (which this browser handles like a charm!)

There are many screen shots available if you search a little, and videos of it playing YouTube videos in full screen, etc. :) Can't remember any good links though, maybe others can help?

Offline Fab

• Show only replies by Fab
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 29, 2011, 09:06:40 PM »
Here are some screenshots to have an idea of OWB MorphOS features: http://fabportnawak.free.fr/owbshots/

More generally, it's very compatible, but it's still possible to stumble on some occasional bugs (often caused by silly cookie issues, actually).