Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Logitech dual action controller & MorphOS MAME  (Read 2718 times)

Description:

Offline save2600Topic starter

• Show all replies
Logitech dual action controller & MorphOS MAME
« on: March 12, 2011, 01:25:19 AM »
This USB Logitech controller is nice. Looks like a PS2 controller and has a digital pad and two analogue sticks. Anyone hazard a guess as to why this controller refuses to work with MAME though?

Poseidon recognizes it just fine and when I select the 'track movements' box, the joystick and all of its button actions are shown. X, Y values in the analogue are fine. Well, the digital pad actually just says 'Hat' and doesn't really show up, down, left or right.

No buttons or directionals work through the latest version of MAME on my MacMini. What gives?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 03:14:32 AM by save2600 »

• Show all replies
Re: Logitech dual pad controller & MorphOS MAME
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 02:27:32 AM »
Quote from: Fab;621313
MAME MorphOS supports joypads just fine, but you also need to configure the bindings in MAME options (press tab during game and go to player1 or general, and define the bindings there).

Tried doing that. It's as if some kind of "bridge" is broken between MAME and MorphOS. Machine does not accept joystick or control pad input through MAME.

Looking at Morphzone.org, I see someone had the same problem as me, waaaay back in 2003!

"Basically there are 2 choices of how to configure a USB gamepad.

Either you map (some) controls to be accessible via lowlevel.library, or you map them to the keyboard.

There aren't THAT many morphos-compatible games that support joystick control via lowlevel.library without any keyboard support."

...doesn't seem as if the settings take when making adjustments in lowlevel.library. I tried selecting the 'mapping' feature in selected actions to no avail also, thinking I could map keyboard presses to joystick 1 - duh, but it does not work that way. Also tried switching all button and directional presses to 'push' instead of 'assign' and while the actual buttons are not recognized in MAME's config, the digital pad is. But it's actions are way off. When I enter MAME's config screen and try to tell it a simple 'up' command from my pad, it accepts it right away as 'up joy 1', but then the cursor scrolls continually up until I press down on the pad. Sometimes it's more out of control than that.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 05:10:48 AM by save2600 »

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 03:39:04 AM »
I thought of that too. Unchecking and then saving the mouse/joypad settings. No combo works yet, although with mouse unchecked, MAME at least recognizes some kind of button press to get past the disclaimer screen (as if the input of Joy 1 is stuck on or something). No directionals yet either.

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 01:28:26 PM »
Thanks Ruud and Fab, I'll give it another go later today. Do you remember if you had to change all the button and directional settings from 'assign' to 'push' or did you just leave 'em? Their default is 'assign' IIRC.

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 05:10:16 AM »
Okay, figured it out. Well, I got it to work anyway. What I had to do was clear all settings and then save with no joystick or 'extra' in the panes. Didn't have to tweak a damn thing after doing this, 'cept go into the MAME config (tab) screen and map my buttons about. WEIRD! But, both analogue sticks work as well as the digital pad now.

Really enjoying the speed and snappiness MorphOS provides and couple with the Mini, I'm glad I decided to give it another go after selling the Efika.