Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Morph OS license questions  (Read 8818 times)

Description:

Offline runequesterTopic starter

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
Re: Morph OS license questions
« Reply #59 from previous page: February 08, 2011, 09:37:02 PM »
Quote from: Aminicle;614086
About the tax .. what's that 20 euro ? Stay away from the booze for a weekend or quit smoking... or maybe they can work with a reseller for licences in the USA, Australia, ...

yeah, most people are fine with arbitrarily paying more money, based on where they live.

As far as the licensing, either you care about user freedoms or you don't. Given that Microsoft and Apple are the business models being emulated here, I am guessing they don't.

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2011, 11:13:13 AM »
Quote from: runequester;614111
yeah, most people are fine with arbitrarily paying more money, based on where they live.

As far as the licensing, either you care about user freedoms or you don't. Given that Microsoft and Apple are the business models being emulated here, I am guessing they don't.

Paying the tax secures stability of the Euro. If the Euro would fail the rest of the world would get flooded by cheap European producs and US producs won't sell at all. German finance ministery and Mrs Merkel are doing it all for the world econonmy ;) .
Buy MorphOS - save world econony ;)

Offline Fingers

« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2011, 01:06:19 PM »
I really like MorphOS, but have to agree that there must be a better licensing methodology developed. As a matter of fact, I've been hanging out to see a thread like this for ages!

If I'd purchased it when I only had the Efika, then I couldn't install it on my Mac Mini without smashing the Efika & sending parts of it to ?Germany?
Erm, not a fugging chance!

Again, MorphOS is cool, but I'll never buy it when demolition of an old machine is the only option...

What if I had a Pegasos & wanted to migrate to a Mac Mini? "Yeah dude, just smash it to bits, it's all cool"!

PZ.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 01:11:05 PM by Fingers »

Offline Golem!dk

• Show only replies by Golem!dk
    • http://www.google.com/
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2011, 02:00:02 PM »
Quote from: Fingers;614366
I really like MorphOS, but have to agree that there must be a better licensing methodology developed. As a matter of fact, I've been hanging out to see a thread like this for ages!

If you have any reasonable ideas how that could work, I'm sure the team would be happy to hear them.

If I'd purchased it when I only had the Efika, then I couldn't install it on my Mac Mini without smashing the Efika & sending parts of it to ?Germany?
Erm, not a fugging chance!

Well... you actually need to install it before you can register. I don't think anyone wants you to break your old hw, and you are free to sell the old hw + license.

Again, MorphOS is cool, but I'll never buy it when demolition of an old machine is the only option...

Again... it is not the only option, users are free to sell their license bundled with the hardware.

What if I had a Pegasos & wanted to migrate to a Mac Mini? "Yeah dude, just smash it to bits, it's all cool"!

See above.

Now if you can think of a better way to handle this, one that cannot easily be abused, feel free to share.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 02:02:14 PM by Golem!dk »
~

Offline SimonV

• Show only replies by SimonV
    • http://www.amigaclub.be
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2011, 12:40:02 PM »
Could the MAC adresses of transfered licences be ruled out in OS-updates ? Or some automatic update that disables it as soon as it goes online ?