Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Morph OS license questions  (Read 8854 times)

Description:

Offline Tempest

• Show all replies
Re: Morph OS license questions
« on: February 02, 2011, 10:47:02 PM »
Quote from: zylesea;611962
The maschine binding is probably not ideal from a user's POV. But it is not that big issue tehn again. If your maschine goes kaputt - you get a new license.
If you want to upgrade, sell teh old maschie with license off. May lead to a little loss, but that's it. Before registering you have enough time to evaluate it. The demo version is 100% identical to the reg'd version except that it will slow down after 30 min (a warning is issued a minute before) and you have to reboot. But I agree, ideal for the user is a version wothout keys at all. But then again it is about fairness. There's a trade off between cnvenience and ROI for the development. Difficult to balance, though.

For me it's a big issue, big enough to stop using MorphOS after 7 years. I don't mind paying for a license, as a matter of fact I did.

I don't want to be bothered by selling my computer with a registerd MorphOS copy just to upgrade to a better computer or convince the MorphOS team my computer is broken. I just want to be able to buy better hardware if available and supported by MorphOS and use my registered MorphOS copy on that without any fuss.

As long as that restriction exists I'm not going to invest in MorphOS again.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 10:58:45 PM by Tempest »

Offline Tempest

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 11:12:37 PM »
Quote from: zylesea;611974
It is everyone's choice. But if I do the calculation for my Efika I cmae down to as little as 3.58 EUR/month. So even if I sold the maschine today and the share of the MorpHSO license would be only 35 EUR (less than 1/3 of the original price) MorphOS would have costed me less than 2.50 EUR/month. My Win XP license from the same time may be transferred to another maschine, but is outdated already (my MorphOS license is still the most recent one). It is written off after this time. And so is MorphOS. After all effectively MorphOS may be cheaper than a Windows OEM license. This is better handeled with some business calculation instead of principles and feelings. But nobody is forced to buy a license. It is a clear deal: take it or leave it.

That calculation is very nice and all but I don't use Windows, I'm a Linux user so that nice calculation doesn't fly with me. I took the leave it option, sadly no more MorphOS skins and occasional ports from me.

Offline Tempest

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 11:27:03 PM »
Quote from: zylesea;611978
I think you should consider AROS for your Amiga fix then - also a fine choice. ;-)

Tried that, but after using MorphOS for so long Aros is just a very big step backwards. I've still got a couple of real Amiga's to get my Amiga fix :-)