Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Realtime FW DVcam grab and display on MacMiniG4/MorphOS  (Read 7612 times)

Description:

Offline ferrellsl

• DavidseltyAJ
    • Show all replies
Re: Realtime FW DVcam grab and display on MacMiniG4/MorphOS
« on: October 04, 2010, 03:19:17 PM »
@Kolla

Yeah, I wish the MorphOS team and MorphOS developers would stop focusing on dead-end hardware.  Firewire was never a big deal and it fell into even greater obscurity after USB2.0  became widespread.  MorphOS would be better served by having better driver support for video cards and USB2.0.  Or even better, port the OS to an architecture that isn't a dead-end.

Offline ferrellsl

• DavidseltyAJ
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 03:46:27 PM »
Thanks Kolla.  That's exactly what I meant to say.

Offline ferrellsl

• DavidseltyAJ
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 06:06:06 PM »
@Iggy

Nowhere in my post did I say ANYTHING about x86 or even hint at a direction that I think the developers should take regarding a new processor for MorphOS.  Nor did I mention AROS or any other operating system.  It isn't opinion that PPC processors and all the Macs now running MorphOS are a dead end.  It is FACT.  They are no longer manufactured.  PPC is dead.  Get over it.  As for not using MOS, I don't use it any longer.  It's overpriced, runs on VERY outdated hardware and doesn't have any productivity software that meets my needs.  My PegII is just an expensive paper weight these days.

@ral-clan

As for Firewire being a professional standard, that was 10 years ago and even Apple is dropping support for it.  Even if this new Firewire stack gets completed, you won't see any audio/video professionals running out to buy an ancient Mac running MorphOS and doing any audio/video editing.  Why?  Because decent audio/video editing software doesn't exist for MOS and even if it did, why would they handicap themselves by using hardware that's several years old and several orders of magnitude slower than anything else on the market?

Offline ferrellsl

• DavidseltyAJ
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 06:19:05 PM »
@Pyromania

Great.  Maybe you and the MOS devs can port it to PPC Macs for MOS?

Offline ferrellsl

• DavidseltyAJ
    • Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 06:23:24 PM »
Yes, I was being sarcastic.

Offline ferrellsl

• DavidseltyAJ
    • Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 06:32:30 PM »
I'm sorry if anyone thinks my comments have detracted from Yomgui's efforts.  I applaud him for it and I think he's one hell of a great programmer.  I'm just pesimistic about the future of MOS.  I'd really like to see it thrive as an alternative OS but the tangents taken by the MOS dev team seem truly crazy at times.

@klx300r, spihunter, and GolemDK

And nowhere did I dispute that Firewire is superior to USB2.0.  It is obviously superior.  So I'm not sure where you guys are getting that from since I've never posted such a statement.  What I DO dispute is that there's any real use for Firewire on MOS since there obviously isn't a single audio/video editing package for MOS.  I also pointed out that Apple is even dropping support of Firewire on several of its systems, specifically its newest Macbooks.  Nobody these days really cares that Firewire is better than USB2.0.  It's like the old argument about Betamax versus VHS tapes.  Just because it's technically superior doesn't mean that it'll become the accepted/adopted standard demanded by us all.  I've worked with a couple different news agencies and they don't care about Firewire one bit.  They DO care about being able to move their data onto a laptop or workstation for editing.  As long as they can move that data via DVD-R/W, USB cable or flash memory stick, they're quite happy.  Firewire, or the lack of it, isn't a deal-breaker for them.  The lack of any audio/video editing on a MOS box IS a deal breaker, as well as the handicap of ancient hardware.  As I said earlier, just because there's a Firewire stack on MOS doesn't mean that suddenly audio/video professionals will now scramle to buy up old Macs for editing.  It's outdated hardware and there's no MOS editing software anyway, so don't expect me to be thrilled with the news about MOS getting a Firewire stack.  My reaction is, "So what?"  Where's an application that will make use of it?

Same goes for MOS as a whole.  I think it's a great OS.  But until it has native apps for productiviy, I.E. a real office suite, native audio/video editing, and easy-to-use DVD/CD authoring software, it will continue to languish.  What about somebody porting OpenOffice to MOS, or at least AbiWord and GnuCalc?  MOS will continue to be just a toy until that happens.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 06:42:21 PM by ferrellsl »

Offline ferrellsl

• DavidseltyAJ
    • Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 06:35:40 PM »
@GolemDK and Boot WB

Before Commodore bit the dust, that's when I noticed!  The writing was on the wall a couple years before they went under.  

What makes you think I'm so misguided as to believe that the Amiga in any form will rise from the ashes like a Phoenix and become mainstream again?  On the contrary, all I see in the Amiga community is a bunch of disjointed attempts to scam hardcore Amiga enthusiasts out of their hard-earned cash with overpriced, under powered jokes like the SAM and the X1000.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 06:40:46 PM by ferrellsl »

Offline ferrellsl

• DavidseltyAJ
    • Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 01:23:25 AM »
@Magenetic

OS4 fanboy?  Not hardly!  I actually prefer MOS over OS4.  It's faster and has a much slicker interface than OS4.  I actually have OS4 and MOS dual-booting on my PegII but I rarely use either one these days.  I just have no reason to use them anymore.  They're both hobbled by a number of issues and it's just easier for me to use Linux or Windows to get things done.

And I never implied nor stated that Yomgui was a member of the official MOS dev team.  Where did you get that from?  I said he was a MOS developer as is anyone who writes code for MOS.  Why do so many people on this board read between the lines and see things that simply aren't there?

As for FW drivers being a major feat for MOS, I have to refer to kolla's last post......

Quote from: kolla;583110
Yes, it's right up there, along with floppy driver support :)

I DO see the advantage of being able to tie a MOS box and a Mac together to transfer files.  But that's about it.  You could just as easily have copied your data to a USB stick and transferred files, but that's too easy for a lot of folks on this forum!  :-)

Offline ferrellsl

• DavidseltyAJ
    • Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 07:21:57 PM »
Yes, that is true!  ;-)