Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Realtime FW DVcam grab and display on MacMiniG4/MorphOS  (Read 7675 times)

Description:

Offline Yomgui

• Show all replies
Re: Realtime FW DVcam grab and display on MacMiniG4/MorphOS
« on: October 05, 2010, 09:04:56 AM »
Hello everyone. It's my first post on a.org! cool  :drink:

(...) even Apple is dropping support for it (ndr: the Firewire) (...)
Apple has not removed any software or hardware supports.
Even thirdparties applications also (all video sw support Apple FW).
See the latest MacMini : it's supposed to be the low-end of Apple's computer and have everything

http://images.apple.com/macmini/images/features_portdiagram_20100615.jpg

Only constructors of "media for the mass" want to bury it, due to the simple reason of the extra cost of a 1394 bridge in the HW design.
Furthermore, supporting 2 kinds of external ports is really a mess for some devices... and specially when purpose is the same (I don't care about efficiency here). See the removal of FW port inside the iPod serie for ex.

Then second reason: USB is an Intel idea, the one that drives modern computer designs. It's normal that they don't want seeing FW dominate the market.

Dead-end OS on dead-end hardware
:laughing: I've also a good sens of humour.. I'm going to demonstrate it:

Btw - USB3 is here now.
Good! Just need to wait 20 years and maybe have an OS4.56 support :mickeymouse:
... or not

(...) less camera capabilities than my cellphone (...)
What're missing camera capabilities?
For sure FW cameras are not designed to be a phone!

Final notes:
I'm really proud to have make this stack. Now MorphOS has it. Used or not... It has it, it works. What else?

Now I think I'll work on a simple video editor (something less complex than Blender).

Note: Blender 2.52 on Mos works now to edit and save videos. I've just to sync the code because my current svn sync uses an old FFMPEG api.

Offline Yomgui

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 02:11:09 PM »
I think that "low-resolution" Red cameras (http://www.red.com/cameras/tech_specs/) are not able to reach current smartphones...
...yes with FW 800/400.

:biglaugh:

And About USB3.0: currently I know only 1 USB3.0 camera on the market,  this one is the Flea3 by Point Grey. This manufacture is also well known  for his good FW cameras.

I don't want to start a USB3 vs Firewire S3200 war. But don't forget  even if USB3.0 has more manufacturers in his side, this one doens't have  any well designed and normalized software protocols like the existing  IIDC on Firewire.
I let you read this annouce (end of 2009): http://www.daptechnology.com/index.php?id=640

So for a dead hardware I think it's quite alive (maybe it's a ZOMBIE!!!)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 02:45:12 PM by Yomgui »

Offline Yomgui

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 09:07:03 AM »
@All:

Even if it's not SBP2 related thread... don't forget to report me your SBP2 tests and speed. And if possible indicate the hardware and chipsets used.
Don't hesitate to compare with USB2 with various copy way: Ambient, by shell with "copy buf=128" and increase the buf value until 2048 (more is limited by my code... 2048*512 = 1MB buffering).