Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Quake III on MorphOS (details turned up = slow down)  (Read 4156 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Quake III on MorphOS (details turned up = slow down)
« on: September 27, 2010, 08:49:23 PM »
I'm running Quake III on an eMac under MorphOS, but when I turn all the details on, it slows down horribly.

Why would this be? I thought this game was old and could run without any issues on hardware that came out around the eMac era...
-----------------------
System requirements:

3D graphics accelerator with full OpenGL support, Pentium II 233 MHz or AMD 350 MHz K6-2 processor or Athlon processor, 64 MB RAM, 8 MB video card, 500 MB of free hard drive space, 100% DirectX 3.0 or higher compatible sound card, CD-ROM drive (600 kB/s sustained transfer rate)

I'm pretty sure I more than have that covered right?
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
Re: Quake III on MorphOS (details turned up = slow down)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 09:04:01 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;581584
I'm running Quake III on an eMac under MorphOS, but when I turn all the details on, it slows down horribly.

Why would this be? I thought this game was old and could run without any issues on hardware that came out around the eMac era...
-----------------------
System requirements:

3D graphics accelerator with full OpenGL support, Pentium II 233 MHz or AMD 350 MHz K6-2 processor or Athlon processor, 64 MB RAM, 8 MB video card, 500 MB of free hard drive space, 100% DirectX 3.0 or higher compatible sound card, CD-ROM drive (600 kB/s sustained transfer rate)

I'm pretty sure I more than have that covered right?

Whatever problems you are having, they're all because of your avatar. That thing is weird, in a scary way, man... :roflmao:

On a more serious note, the above requirements are the absolute minimum to get it working. A 64MB video card with proper multi-texture support should be considered a minimum if you want to use the highest texture quality.
int p; // A

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 09:25:20 PM »
:)

Always the GFX RAM. Damn! :/
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 09:33:42 PM »
gfx ram always help but on the requirements talks about 8mb of gfx memory.
a1200 060

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 09:35:49 PM »
I just noticed that, it looks like the minimum system ram is 64Mb not the GFX RAM. If that's the case, Quake III should be a happy camper on my eMac.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 09:37:44 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;581598
gfx ram allways help but on the requirements talks about 8mb of gfx memory.

That's the absolute minimum. Under typical PC implementations, the chances are that an 8MB card will be using graphics-card mediated AGP transfers to page stuff from a shared memory region in system RAM with the graphics card, without really strangling the CPU. I don't expect that to be the case under any existing amiga RTG specification.

In short, gfx ram probably makes much more difference to the performance under AmigaOS/MOS than it does under Windows.
int p; // A

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 09:44:40 PM »
I'm really starting to wish I'd never bought the eMac and would have held out for better hardware in future versions of MorphOS.

Now if I want to experience MorphOS in all it's glory I have to buy new hardware and a new key file.

I was thinking in classic Amiga terms, thinking anything above 2Mb or GFX RAM would carry me through the day. I never expected this. :/

Offline utri007

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 09:50:24 PM »
Weird aplle hardware plays quake quite well, maybe you should try it with MacOS and forget MorphOs?
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 09:57:47 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;581605
I was thinking in classic Amiga terms, thinking anything above 2Mb or GFX RAM would carry me through the day. I never expected this. :/

Depends on what you do with it. Whenever I'd run a 3D game on my 8MB gfx card, I'd always drop the workbench to 320x240x8-bit first to free up as much of the RAM as possible.

You have to be realistic though. A 1280x1024x32-bit display (a modest resolution for a desktop today) requires 5MB just for the frame buffer. There'll be various allocations going on all the time when windows are opened.

Suppose you wanted to play Quake 3, fullscreen, at 800x600 in 32-bit colour. You're bound to have at least double, if not triple buffering. Then there's the Z-buffer, which may be 16-bits (as it is on the Permedia, actually 15-bit with one bit of stencil) or 24-bit with 8-bits of stencil on many radeon cards. So, with triple buffering and a Z buffer, you might already have 4 800x600x32-bit buffers. There's 1.8MB gone immediately. If your 1280x1024 desktop display is still paged in, you've now got 6.8MB in use before you've loaded a single texture map.

The reason you never really thought of this with your 2MB chip-ram system is because you couldn't actually have resolutions that high. A single 256 HighGfx (1024x768) display, about the best you'll get from AGA, will eat almost half of that in one go.
int p; // A

Offline kickstart

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 10:01:27 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;581605
I'm really starting to wish I'd never bought the eMac and would have held out for better hardware in future versions of MorphOS.

Now if I want to experience MorphOS in all it's glory I have to buy new hardware and a new key file.

Or you can play quacke3 on your old pc at full speed and use morphos for other funny things (i supose)
a1200 060

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 10:04:36 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;581611
Or you can play quacke3 on your old pc at full speed and use morphos for other funny things (i supose)

int p; // A

Offline kickstart

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 10:07:45 PM »
heheh...Thats on ultra quality gfx mode, you need at least 128mb
a1200 060

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 10:10:31 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;581614
heheh...Thats on ultra quality gfx mode, you need at least 128mb

Playing various 1st person games on the PC has kind of killed the genre on any other platform for me. Just counting the days until Fallout New Vegas :)
int p; // A

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 10:35:52 PM »
"Run Quake III in MacOS"

HA HA HA HA HA!!!

Like I'm really going to install Mac OS on my Mac. :)

I'll live.

Can't wait for that port of Wolfenstein btw!

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 11:31:15 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;581612

Please tell me that's a real mod and not just a 'shopped image. I want to play it :)

Quack represents the finest in first-person feed-'em-up gaming on the market today.
- Over 10 kinds of bread
- Battery-powered breadgrinder for rapid-fire crumb-making action
- 30 different waterfowl with advanced AI nibbling that adapts to your play technique
- Ultra-realistic water-splashing engine
- Treacherous footing around ponds challenges even the most experienced gamers to keep from falling in