Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS 2.4 + Efika = RAM Gone?!?!  (Read 5568 times)

Description:

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
Re: MorphOS 2.4 + Efika = RAM Gone?!?!
« Reply #14 from previous page: January 08, 2010, 12:35:37 AM »
Quote from: recidivist;537036
Would there be any advantage to  an MorphOs/Amiga  vitual memory that  used the USB connected flash drive sticks?
How about virtual memory  using a sollid state "hard drive" ;compact flash 4gb cards are on sale periodically for $25 US.

Wouldn't be much of a fun. usb is very out of question being usb1.1 only (I get 800 - 900 kb/s on average). The hd is also not the fastest one can think of. It would just be a brake. Better watch your setup and mem usage.
I am fine on my Efika with MorphOS 2.4  and OWB 1.6 with one to three tabs, Songplayer, SimpleMail, an editor and Wookiechat all simultaneously. If I need more free RAM I use Sputnik instead of OWB. Works quite reliable, uptimes of more than a day are normal(then i switch the device off usually).  After boot up I have about 80 MB available.

Offline FingersTopic starter

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 08:18:03 AM »
Well, I got a bit bored this afternoon & dug out the Efika for a bit of a play around.

Note that when I reverted back to 2.3 I completely wiped 2.4 .

Today I upgraded it from 2.3 to 2.4 just like last time, except this time it's working fine.

It would seem that there was something wrong with the way the last (troublesome) 2.4 install was working.

Anyway, it seems that everything is back to normal & 2.4 works great, so all that was needed was a reinstall.

I wonder what actually went wrong though...why would it have ate RAM like mad before, but after rinstallation it works fine? Quite odd really!

PZ.

Offline recidivist

• Show only replies by recidivist
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 02:08:32 AM »
Maybe I wasn't clear: my idea was to use Compact flash or SD card  adapter to replace internal mac mini hard drive .My understanding is these would be faster than 5400rpm hard drive;the Ultra III 4GB Compact Flash card I have states 30MB transfer rate.

i have order both CompactFlash and SDHC card adapters to 44 pin ide to try.

Offline Golem!dk

• Show only replies by Golem!dk
    • http://www.google.com/
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 02:48:00 PM »
Quote from: recidivist;537234
Maybe I wasn't clear: my idea was to use Compact flash or SD card  adapter to replace internal mac mini hard drive .

Huh? mac mini hard drive in an efika?
My understanding is these would be faster than 5400rpm hard drive;the Ultra III 4GB Compact Flash card I have states 30MB transfer rate.

i have order both CompactFlash and SDHC card adapters to 44 pin ide to try.

For efika I'm not sure those 30MB/s will help much, I think we're still dealing with PIO transfers on that, but of course seeks will be faster. And if you meant to post this in a mini thread, the HDD (5400 rpm) in my mini handles twice that transfer rate.
~