Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS2.4 Efika install problems  (Read 15777 times)

Description:

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Re: MorphOS2.4 Efika install problems
« on: October 23, 2009, 09:16:35 PM »
Can you put the HD into another computer to see if it is formatted and what type of format it has?  I have an adapter that I can hook almost any HD to that has USB on the other end to connect to my PC, or Mac to do any formatting, partitioning, or reformatting of the drive.  Remember the IDE on the Efika is not the best, or fastest and the 1.1 USB ports are even slower.  Hope this helps, we need more info about the drive.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 09:23:20 PM »
Quote from: save2600;527066
No, I do not have a PATA adapter to monkey around with. I did just order a SATA to USB Adapter though for use with the SATA drive I accidentally bought. lol

Guess it figures the drive was not setup or formatted huh? Just my luck. That SATA adapter I bought was only $10 shipped. I hope it works. Guess I should buy a PATA to USB adapter for this drive next. No PeeCee's here. Just Mac and Amiga.

Don't try using the PATA to USB adapter on the EFIKA, connect it to your Mac to check the drive's format and do any partitioning you want.  The Efika's USB ports are buggy and slow.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 07:08:29 PM »
Quote from: save2600;527188
Thanks for the clearer explanation Kronos. So is it just a glitch then when you're in Monitors, but editing Ambients screen mode that it doesn't take? An omission maybe?

Well... I'm trying to get a long with this little system, but before too long, I experience freeze ups. It does get a little warm in there, even though the 9250 video card does have a heatsink. The CPU sits right underneath this HD, so the system seems a little too warm for my tastes. I just added a small fan inside the computer and it resides right between the power connector and on/off switches blowing air through the case and over the CPU. Hope this resolves the crashes! System would freeze randomly after some time, but usually when messing around with a window or if a window was supposed to pop up. In the case of a requester, you'd see the outline of its box and then the system would hang  :-(  One of the attractions to Efika was supposed to be its silent operation, but like I said, it really does get warm in there. This is quite the buggy system, isn't it? Anyone else experience these hang ups?  And sometimes, you have to let the damn thing sit for 15 or so minutes before she'll start back up again  :-(   This whole experience is leaving me wondering if the MacMini is the way to go  :-)   MorphOS seems really nice, but as of now and even considering the speed difference, I'm not about to trade in my 060 equipped A2500 for this experience  ;-)

Well I hope you won't blame the Efika, or the MorphOS developers totally for your frustration, as I suspect that you have not yet taken the time to READ all the documentation that you can find for MorphOS yet.

I had very similar trouble when I first got my Efika last year, but I can't remember what I did to resolve it.  I do remember that the fix was simple once I found it and I felt kind of stupid for not finding it, or figuring it out for myself earlier.  I suspect that once you do work it all out, you may feel the same way.  The Efika is a great little computer for the price, but it does have it's short comings and quirks.  MorphOS is very Amiga like in many ways, but it does have enough upgrades and differences to have a learning curve, even for seasoned Amiga users.  Part of the problem I have found is that most of the people that offer help on MorphOS have been using it for so long that things just come naturally to them and they often don't realize that when they are trying to help a newbie to MorphOS, they need to include some of the steps that they learned about MorphOS 4 or 5 years ago, so as a result, many times their help is missing some of the more basic steps that they assume you should already know about the OS.

I still consider myself a newbie on MorphOS, but have to say that it is getting easier, now that I am using it more often with it installed on my MacMini.

Hang in there and try to find some of the earlier MorphOS documentation to read completely so you will understand the subtle differences and basic workings of the OS and I think you will begin to appreciate it more with each passing day.  I know it is not fun and I rarely do the required reading myself, as I would rather just jump in and hope to understand how things work by common sense and trial and error (I am lazy at heart these days).

I will try to remember how I figured out my monitor/screens trouble, but to tell the truth, the version of CyberGraphx built into MorphOS is so good at automatically recognizing which monitor is connected to the video card, I haven't had to think about screen resolutions, or bit depths since I first got my Efika and finally got it set it up correctly, so I have forgotten what I did back then.