Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Will the Amiga ever regain it's footing in games?  (Read 7447 times)

Description:

Offline KingTutt

• Show all replies
Re: Will the Amiga ever regain it
« on: December 01, 2002, 03:45:38 AM »
Pc games were still inferior to Amiga, even well into the mid 90's. Even Doom wasn't a compelling enough reason to hail the PC as the next best thing. Amiga 1200 and above made Alienbreed 3d. This was also a FPS.

It wasn't until PCs came out with Quake and Quake 2 that PCs finally made gamers look up and listen to what PCs were headed into. This was later solidified when 3dfx and nVidia saw an untapped market for 3d software. The rest is history.

Amiga could have followed in much the same way. But it didn't have the financial means by that stage. Had it of been as strong as it was in the late 80s early 90s. It would still have held the bleeding edge in games even now!

The only way it can regain its foothold in this competetive world, is to slowly but surely make a name for itself again. Getting ol skool developers like Team 17 and Cinemaware is one approach. Another approach is to develop a rival handheld to the nintendo GBA! This would be much simpler to do. Seeing that the 15 yo tech would be easier to squeeze into a handheld packaging. Amiga already boasts at least a 5000 strong games library and most of it belongs to long defunct companies like Ocean.

Having said this, the means to get there are alot more cost competetive than what others may think. Just think for a moment. Most of the GBA titles are old 2d games from yesteryear, they are made in GBA native code, so essentially developers need to port their old gems to GBA. Amiga can compete in this area wonderfully. Their extensive library need only run on a native Amiga handheld machine and the rest is history. Games need only be packaged onto catridge and it will be read in native 1.3 or 2.0 format. And given that catridge solutions hold megabytes, amiga games like It came from the Desert being 3x880k will fit nicely.

Amiga handhelds can be launched bundled with several games on one catridge to lure the unassuming mass market. And since most games from defunct companies belong to the public domain. Amiga wil be the only other 2d game platform that will boast a plethora of games, cheap affordable games that rival the GBA and will be graphically superior, yet with less overhead.

I once played my A500 on my pocket TV and let me tell you the resolution is incredible, I couldnt take my eyes off Turrican. It was spendidly rendered and really took off when seen on such a petite screen.

Its a real mystery why Amiga inc havent thought of this already. They are sitting on a real treasure. Something most companies would kill for. Amiga is one of the only companies that has had games coded for a particular platform (A500) for the longest time. Spanning almost 10 years 85-95. Games from Bobble Bubble, Marble Madness to WALKER, Desert Strike and Superfrog of late.

There is your chance to regain the foothold. It couldnt be clearer. I say make it happen. And fast!
If I said I was the best you would think I am boasting. But if I said I was not, then you KNOW I am lying! ~Bruce Lee.

Offline KingTutt

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2002, 03:35:23 AM »
@odin

Planetemu has about a 5000+ library of ADF/ADZ files. From popular appz like Amos to games like Rocket Ranger.

Yes I see your logic. Some, if not a majority of these titles are lost forever. Although since many people have released the ADF/ADZ of titles of some of these supposed lost titles, Amiga Inc then have the option of doing a native HW Amiga handheld (with all its custom chips), or a stripped down cost effective x86 platform that runs an emulated Amiga environment in the hardware, not unlike WinUAE.

I just see the potential of such a system. I won't go into the politics of it all. But yes I can see some of the hiccups that may stop such a dream from occuring. Politics aside, wouldn't it be wonderful to own a handheld that could outdo GBA in every way (which IMO is a glorified paperweight, with only the nintendo logo stamped onto it to secure more sales)

GBA would quiver in its boots, if it were announced that the sleeping giant of the 80's (Amiga) were to get into the handheld market, sporting their own product. Given the Amiga would have to overcome political hurdles first, if done, it would boast a games library like no other.

Here is an ol skool Amiga games maker, back in the scene and making GBA titles. For you ol skool Amiga gamers, you wouldn't believe who.

Click here to find out

And for their forum
If I said I was the best you would think I am boasting. But if I said I was not, then you KNOW I am lying! ~Bruce Lee.

Offline KingTutt

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2002, 05:26:37 AM »
@WalkernyRanger

I recognise the incredible hurdles that Amiga would face, if they would to get a portable platform up off the ground. But given that nintendo GBA is the only player in the handheld entertainment industry. Its a pot of gold begging to be exploited.

Amiga would have to sport A500 titles only, if they were to release one. I'm sure that trying to make a handheld A500 that was also AGA compliant would be overkill. ECS/OCS compliant software are more than enough to shoulder some might into this fledgling industry.

Can you imagine the potential of a GBA sized A500 sporting an RGB pocket TV display? No need for some crummy backlit LCD technology and the resolution and picture quality would leave the GBA in its wake. The plethora of games alone is enough to scare off even the most unscrupulous companies like M$ and Sony of ever wanting part of the pie.

I mean c'mon people, how many of you would love to get your hands on such a system for maybe $100US. Being able to ride the train or bus while playing a game of Turrican, Alienbreed, RickDangerous or Superfrog. I sure would.

This would be a sure way of securing a name for Amiga once more, to a mass audience. Directly competing with GBA would at least make headlines in the short term. The Amiga name is still recognizable by many in the industry. It could be the stepping stone needed so much right now to launch any future products or Amiga systems with a revitalised customer base and strong consumer confidence in the Amiga name once more.

It may be the shot in the arm Amiga so badly needs.

Offline KingTutt

• Show all replies
Re: Will the Amiga ever regain it's footing in games?
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2002, 11:09:16 PM »
@gary_c
I hear ya pal. Having said that there would still be alot of Amiga users that would jump at the chance of owning such a handheld.

Aside from the legal and technical issues of reproducing the games. I understand that the source code would be a major stumbling block. Unless Amiga somehow licence the WinUAE tech to emulate the A500, it could just do it. Of course the copyright infringements would have to be addressed beforehand. Game makers like Cinemaware, Psygnosis, Infogrames, Interplay are still corporate entities in their own right. And may have an issue with re-released Amiga games. But I'm sure they won't object to sharing in the royalties. I know for a fact that one of the Cinemaware developers agrees (upon a brief irc chat) Most know that some of Cinemaware's greatest work was realised on the Amiga platform.

I still think a pocket TV RGB screen has superior resolution to any backlit LCD tech.

@chipper701
No shit! It really strains the old eyes at the very least. I believe the GBA gfx are good but their code has too much overhead. Some of the games like Defender of the Crown is 4mb, On the Amiga it was more like 2x880k (1.76mb) And looked way superior (even after 15yrs wow!).

Try playing DOTC with WinUAE and you'll see how much better the A500 version is than this latest remaster for the GBA. Just a testament on how the Amiga gfx still shine to this very day!

Offline KingTutt

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2002, 01:19:43 AM »
I couldnt agree more. Amiga games on handheld aren't just attractive to the Amiga community, already familiar with the classic titles, but also the uninitiated. And everyone knows that the catalogue of amiga games are nothing short of phenomenol. I mean, cmon you have almost 10yrs of Amiga titles (85-95) to choose from. Something few companies can boast. (and all written for the A500 platform - truly remarkable stuff)

It would only take a few dozen of the very best Amiga has to offer to offset the balance of power in the market, which is held primarily by Nintendo. Of course the politics and the technical feasibility in having such a hendheld, is a different matter altogether.

I strongly believe an emulated environment with a pocket TV style display is the way to go. A move into the handheld market can boost sales and bolster product & market appeal in a way the OS4 and A1 can only dream of doing.

Offline KingTutt

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2002, 03:02:42 AM »
Who could ever forget Team 17, for such exciting titles as AlienBreed or Worms. And Bitmap Bros for my all time fav, Magic Pockets. These were the real innovators in computer gaming circles.

If OS4 and A1 are to survive, it will need pioneers like these. Cinemaware is also back, perhaps they will look at the A1 as a potential platform for its future titles? One can only hope.

The ledgendary Cinemaware returns

Their forum beckons you fellow Amigans

Offline KingTutt

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2002, 04:26:22 AM »

Marky_D_Sahd wrote:
KingTutt:

WOW!  I like registered right now!  And there's a place at the bottom to register as an Amiga owner!!
Everyone here should register (once) and let 'em know we're interested!

Good to hear buddy. Yeah we really need all you Amigans support. To show Cinemaware we still love them after all these years. God only knows how much Cinemaware still loves its favourite little platform which made it renowned among the gaming elite of yesteryear.

And yeah they could really use all the support they can get. You guys will probably be happy to know that they intend on remastering almost every game title they released on the A500 platform. I think they should also remaster for the A1 but heres one for hoping. As for their long term projects, they are remaking (yes you heard right), the original Defender of the Crown with todays 3d gfx.

So for all you Amigans that have fond memories of Cinemaware, please post your thoughts and words of support on their forum they have some members of their dev team that will answer every question you may have for future projects. So its a fantastic opportunity to voice your thoughts directly at the Cinemaware team, Not o mention read up on a little Amiga history through the eyes of Cinemaware. Cheerio!