Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS daily usage By You?  (Read 7647 times)

Description:

Offline AmiDelfTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmiDelf
    • http://www.amitopiatv.com
AmigaOS daily usage By You?
« on: November 20, 2017, 10:09:05 AM »
Hello

I would like to know if some of you uses AmigaOS as your main operating system?

Do you see it as a hobby usage or daily usage? Do you use Windows or OSX for tools that AmigaOS doesnt have? And would you use AmigaOS way more if it had the same tools as Windows or OSX?

I am using AmigaOS for Web, Social Media and Map tools daily. If I need to use OSX or Windows I use them. However, if AmigaOS had the same tool. I would for sure use AmigaOS for that. I play games and listen to music on my Amigas. But I also do that on my PC and Mac. I really doesnt look at me as a hobby AmigaOS user. I do have classic Amiga. My A500 is upgraded with a Vampire 500 v2+ card. Its now my IRC, Music and IBrowse machine. I look at my A500 machine as a hobby machine, but my AmigaOS machine with MorphOS is more like a tool operating system like Windows or OSX for me.

It really seems to be very odd or bad to say that you use your AmigaOS machine as the main computer. People pushes me to think that this is only a hobby usage but I really do use MUImapparium instead of google maps on AmigaOS. Its way faster and more comfortable to use. I also use TVPaint in 1920x1080 in MorphOS. Its really fast in making web banners. You plot in 728x90 and you design your banner fast. Why do I need to use Photoshop? I dont see my AmigaOS usage as hobby usage. It is a tool that I love to use and is comfortable with. I also use OSX and Windows. I use them together with AmigaOS and love it. Some people just thinks that Amiga is a pure hobby machine. However, I feel its not that at all. Its really about what you use it for. Your Windows or OSX usage can also be hobby related.

At Amiga32 in Neuss, Germany. I asked several about their Amiga usage. In Germany it seems like many uses their Amigas as their main tool machine with the help of osx or windows if needed. However, here in Norway and many other countries. It really feels like outside of Germany and Poland. The Amiga usage is seen as a hobby machine but in Germany Amiga is yet another computer that is commercially used. No other Amiga country have so much Amiga related development, got 2 Amiga paper magazines, have several Amiga stores and Amiga User groups in allmost every part of Germany. In Germany ZDF.Info have shown the Amiga documentary even. Trevor Dickinson also told me that without the German and Polish Amiga market, there would also be no X1000 and X5000. How can the German Amiga thinking spread to other countries? How can this country show the way?

What kind of AmigaOS do you have? What do you use it for? Would you use AmigaOS way more if it had all the tools you needed?
I love and respect people which care! And not those with
a heart made of stone.

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
Re: AmigaOS daily usage By You?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 10:28:38 PM »
@AmiDelf

great thread! i basically use my amigas for everything except for my day job. so all my photo work, drawing/painting, listening to music, watching my video collection, IRC, (personal) email, gaming, etc., is done on my X5000 these days. i can't use it for work -- at least not completely -- due to proprietary tools and a lack of VPN solutions. but otherwise all my home computing is done on my amigas.

that is, of course, when i can pry one of them away from my children. ;)

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline Templario

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 11:45:07 PM »
I use Windows for job and in my homme to use some graphic program but for play and Internet I use as main system MorphOS with OWB even to ftp program when the ftpmozilla is more modern than ftp program under MorphOS.
Amiga 500 with ROMs 1.3-2.05 and M-Tec AT 500 with hard disk and 4MB Ram.
WinUAE + Original OS 3.5&3.9
Sam440ep 800 MHZ + OS 4.1 F.E.
Sam460ex 1 GHz + OS 4.1 + Update 6. K.O.
MacMini 1.5 GHz + MorphOS 3.9
PowerBook G4 1.65 + MorphOS 3.9

Offline Atheist

• Show only replies by Atheist
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 02:22:21 AM »
Well, currently I only have a win-doze 7 set up.

I *want to* be "Only Amiga Only" but all the new games are for the dedicated video games consoles and win-doze. Okay, there are a few AMIGA games coming out, yes. I don't mean to ignore or look down on them.... it is FANTASTIC that they are releasing some!!!!! (more, More, MORE!!!! Can't wait to see some ECS and S-AGA stuff!!!!!!!!!)

Other than that, the internet is where it's at, and Amiga can barely do it, and with the internet CONSTANTLY changing, Amiga won't ever (for NOW) be able to maintain a recent web browser port.

I LOVE AOS4.x, but won't be able to buy one anytime soon, at all!!!! (Pricey.)

Goal is to get the standalone v/Ampire 4 (should it be v/Ampiress?) when they finally release it, soonly?

And that, I hope to use WAY more than my winless-dozey.

I'm also going to show it to some people locally, if anyone wants to see it "in the carcass" ;-) :-D before they would commit to buying one.....

I don't know of anyone in particular, just going to invite any Amigans around here to come take a look see.

I have Amiga Forever, but it just doesn't "feel right" especially when I have to boot up win-doze for 95+ seconds before I can use it. Also, I don't trust my 7 install to be working quite right, as I've done some "frowned upon" modifications to it's operation resulting in this, for instance....
http://www.amiga.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=234&pictureid=1430
http://www.amiga.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=234&pictureid=1431
http://www.amiga.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=234&pictureid=1432

In picture 2, "Unity Web Player" is overlap from picture 1. In picture 3, "Akamai Netsession Interface" is overlap from picture 2. I stitched together one tall picture, but it was too big to upload.

So, the Opera install is repeated at least 40 more times!!!!!! I despise the registry!
I know why it's doing the multiple entries, basically, I'm using windos the way I want to.

Seeing as windos can't be (and never was) used as I desire, I'm going to try hard to get the v/Ampire to do as much as it can so that windos can be "put out to pasture".
\\"Which would you buy? The Crappy A1200, 15 years out of date... or the Mobile Phone that I have?\\" -- bloodline
So I guess that A500, 600, 1000, 2000, CDTV, CD32, are pure garbage then? Thanks for posting here.

Offline outrun1978

• Show only replies by outrun1978
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 12:59:20 PM »
The X5000 is my machine and has pretty much replaced my PC,. It gets used to games classic and OS4, emulation of other game systems, word processing, writing my Amigax5000 blog, it gets used for playing music and watching videos and DVD's and also for web browsing.
Amigaone X5000 4GB with Radeon HD 7750 and Amiga OS 4.1 FE Pre-Release

Amigaone 500 2GB with Radeon 5450 and Amiga OS 4.1 FE update 1

Amiga 1200 with ACA 1231/42 accelerator and Amiga OS3.9

Amiga CD32

Check out my blog at http://www.amigax5000.blog

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 05:11:17 AM »
I hardly ever use any of my Amiga systems.  If I do, it would be my MorphOS system.  I run Linux, it does more than what I need.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline amigasociety

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 05:41:08 AM »
It would be nice if my X5000 could replace my other systems but it is just a hobby machine for me.  When real work needs to get done, the horsepower and much more advanced apps of my Mac or Linux systems are my day to day workhorses.  But I work from a home office so I have my X5K on all day and is used for IRC, amiga based web surfing, periodic game, and sure I enjoy playing music or watching some videos too.  

My wife is also very invested in iTunes and since Amiga OS or variants don't have iTunes, the AmigaNG machines are not my main media devices.

Dreams of a more advanced web browser for Amiga OS 4 would be nice, a DVD ripper like handbrake on linux/Mac/Windows would be cool to do some direct ripping of DVDs to my X5K drives, MultiCore support to speed this all up would be a dream, and less freezes and crashes since this OS has no memory protection.  

But I still enjoy my Amiga NG systems but they are far from powerful real world   OSes such as OS X, Linux variants, and heck, even Windows that I don't like.  The business level apps are just not there for Amiga or variants but that is OK, to me it is a hobbiest machine other than for a small batch of folks.

TJ
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 05:52:58 AM by amigasociety »
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

Offline pVC

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 01:23:50 PM »
Quote from: AmiDelf;833360
Hello

I would like to know if some of you uses AmigaOS as your main operating system?
I'm using MorphOS as my main operating system, and as it's included in the poll, I take it belongs in the "AmigaOS" category :)

Do you see it as a hobby usage or daily usage? Do you use Windows or OSX for tools that AmigaOS doesnt have? And would you use AmigaOS way more if it had the same tools as Windows or OSX?
It's daily usage for almost everything. I have Linux server(s) for light ftpd/httpd/irc bouncer/backup purposes, and that could be done on Amiga/MorphOS too, but I rather have separate machines for that (RPi server doesn't consume much electricity, I can freely reboot/turn off my daily machine without interrupts for servers, etc reasons). I also have a Windows machine, which is mainly used as a torrent slave. It's just left running headless on spare room and I control it via RDesktop on MorphOS. I also have OSX on some of my MorphOS machines as dualboot, and I boot them once a month or so when some web service doesn't seem to work with OWB to try if it would work on TenFourFox.

What kind of AmigaOS do you have? What do you use it for? Would you use AmigaOS way more if it had all the tools you needed?
But as said, my daily usage is on MorphOS and I use it for browsing, ircing, emails, other net activities, music listening, movie watching, digital photo processing (with Showgirls) and storing, web page updating, coding, image processing (ArtEffect+Showgirls+PPaint combo has been quite enough for me), printing, books/comics reading, audio CD ripping (Flacapella rulez), etc... and I practically keep all my data on my main MorphOS machine, be it photos, texts, documents, personal notes, or anything. In that regard all other machines are hobby and they don't have any important data like I have on my MorphOS machine.. which I guess makes my MorphOS machine the "serious business" one :) Maybe the hobby/non-hobby machine can be defined by where your life work is mainly kept :) I've kept data of my life on Amigas always...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 01:29:19 PM by pVC »
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline Seaquest

• Show only replies by Seaquest
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 11:26:09 AM »
I need VST support under Amiga OS.
I see that Steinberg has released it officially for Linux now

Steinberg has quietly rolled out the 3.6.7 version of their plug-in SDK for Windows, Mac, iOS, and now LINUX
Amiga4000/060,PIV,Toccata,MultifaceIII,Octagon2008,AdrianeII

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 05:05:27 PM »
Can anybody recommend a usable RDP client that works on a classic system? If so then I might be able to use it for a little of my sysadmin work. ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 09:36:26 PM »
use OS4 daily for all my home computing (email/ spreadsheets/ browsing/ messing with music/graphics/ gaming etc) & OS3 for demos, gaming and occasional 3d modeling with Lightwave
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel: