Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Emulation under a G3/4 Mac.  (Read 2046 times)

Description:

Offline wozTopic starter

• Show only replies by woz
Emulation under a G3/4 Mac.
« on: July 25, 2003, 04:34:43 PM »
What about emulating a PPC Amiga on an AppleMac G4, surely that would be a lot faster than the Phase 5 PPC Amigas?

Re: Emulation under a G3/4 Mac.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2003, 04:43:21 PM »

woz wrote:
What about emulating a PPC Amiga on an AppleMac G4, surely that would be a lot faster than the Phase 5 PPC Amigas?

Well, if Genesi release MorphOS for Mac, then yes, it's possible. :-D

Offline Billsey

• Show only replies by Billsey
    • http://billsey.christian.net
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2003, 06:15:40 PM »
Well, since Linux is now available (reportedly) for those Macs, it should be entirely possible to get UAE running on them as well.
\\"The chief tormentor of the damned will be the conscience and it will not be misinformed, and it will not be silenced.\\"     John MacArthur
Salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone
\\"I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2003, 06:23:06 PM »

Billsey wrote:
Well, since Linux is now available (reportedly) for those Macs, it should be entirely possible to get UAE running on them as well.

UAE doesn't emulate a PPC Amiga.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline ORBSTAH

• Show only replies by ORBSTAH
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2003, 09:48:43 PM »
Well i tried to emulate an amiga under mac osx using MAXuae and i even tried to run it under linux {YDL), unfortunately both suxx. The linux version is a big let down as nvidia dont write ppc graphics drivers so you loose loads of performance from that. an the native osx version is still very beta. Maybe mac and amiga users only ever cross over very rarely so this is why there isn't as much people working on a mac version

Offline wozTopic starter

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2003, 10:07:02 AM »
Strange that as I've also downloaded MacUAE and I cant get it to work at all, I've got the ROM image from my A1200 but it refuses to boot into the KS 3.1 rom at all. I'm using Mac OS 9.1 with my G3-400 mac.  Youd think that using a Mac to emulate an Amiga would give you better than Amiga PPC speeds.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2003, 10:24:24 AM »
I'm using Mac OS 9.1 with my G3-400 mac. Youd think that using a Mac to emulate an Amiga would give you better than Amiga PPC speeds.

It won't. UAE doesn't emulate powerup or warpup, so it won't benefit from the PPC at all (the PPC is not available inside the emulation).

Also the Mac UAE emulation has no JIT, so the 68k emulation is slow aswell.

Offline Mike_Amiga

• Show only replies by Mike_Amiga
    • http://www.mp3.com.au/forefinger
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2003, 11:19:48 AM »
@mdma

Well, if Genesi release MorphOS for Mac, then yes, it's possible.  :-D

Sounds like a good plan to me. :-)
AKA ED-209 on IRC...

Offline wozTopic starter

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2003, 11:25:51 AM »
Yes, I know that UAE wont emulate a PPC Amiga, it would be great if it did though, but as you state Mac UAE is slow on the 68k emulation so it would'nt be worth emulating the PPC side of things, shame.

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2003, 08:48:09 PM »

mdma wrote:
Well, if Genesi release MorphOS for Mac, then yes, it's possible. :-D
at AmiWest I believe I heard Bill (B) say he was planning on having MorphOS boot from a CD for MACS.
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline nyteschayde

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by nyteschayde
    • http://www.nyteshade.com
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2003, 09:38:51 PM »
Most of the people didn't read your post very well. I agree that emulating a "PowerPC Amiga" on the PowerMac should run much faster than a classic amiga that has been upgraded with a CS or Blizzard PPC card. If nothing else bus speeds alone should make it worth while.

Heres the thing. It shouldn't be emulation as it is WinUAE but it should be emulation in same way that Fusion works on Classic Amigas or how MOL works under PPC Linux. You only emulate what is missing. There is no reason to emulate a PowerPC CPU when you have one available.  Therefore the PPC emulation would be quite quick. In addition if your goal is to just have WarpUp stuff work then you keep the 68K emulation how it is, but allow the WarpUp stuff to access the PowerPC directly. There may be some timing issues and context swap speed problems when moving from 68K to PPC code but it should still be quite powerful. And it would be another one up on the windows world who wouldn't be able to take advantage of that portion of the emulation :p

There are a few problems that I forsee. One you have to somehow integrate into the UAE code the ability to have a  PowerPC native CPU available which would probably range from somewhat challenging to ludicrous depending on the cleanliness of the code. Second you would need AmigaOS 4.0 to really get any 68K performance (as the 68K emulator would be running on the native PowerPC cpu).

I am sure there are millions of things I am missing but it's quite doable and I believe it to be a good idea.
Senior MTS Software Engineer with PayPal
Amigas: A1200T 060/603e PPC • A1200T 060 • A4000D 040 • A3000 (x2) • A2000 Vamp/V2 • A1200 (x4) • A1000 (x3) • A600 Vamp/V1 • A500

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2003, 02:08:25 AM »

Billsey wrote:

But sadly uae only emulate the 68k cpus  :-(

Offline zeigerpuppy

• Show only replies by zeigerpuppy
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2003, 03:00:21 AM »
I'd say that the crossover could grow quite considerably.  For instance, I would love to be able to run AmigaOS4/MorphOS on a Mac G5.  Really, it should be about harware/software independence.  I believe that Amiga.inc are making the same mistake as Commodore, by tying the OS to the hardware.  Really, if it's got the Zico spec (or better) it should run the following:
Linux
MacOS (licencing issue)
MorphOS
AmigaOS4

- now my only wish is to run them all simultaneously!

Offline wozTopic starter

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2003, 10:14:46 AM »
Thanks for that reply, and you've put a lot of thought and possible problems in to it.

It shouldn't be emulation as it is WinUAE but it should be emulation in same way that Fusion works on Classic Amigas or how MOL works under PPC Linux. You only emulate what is missing. There is no reason to emulate a PowerPC CPU when you have one available. Therefore the PPC emulation would be quite quick.

I agree with you on this 100%  UAE would be slow. But we'd need a good emulator, look how many AGA only games/utilities are out there.  As you say, there's a lot of problems that could'nt be brought foreward untill it was actually taken on, but I think it would be a very viable undertaking, so many Amiga users would benefit, as a lot of us allready have G3 PowerMacs. :-)

Offline joe_avarage

• Show only replies by joe_avarage
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2003, 02:35:06 PM »
Well, if Genesi release MorphOS for Mac, then yes, it's possible.

At least you would get 68k, WarpOS and pup (and MOS) SW running but no OS4.