Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Big Event  (Read 8984 times)

Description:

Offline Crom00

• Show all replies
Re: The Big Event
« on: January 28, 2010, 03:16:34 AM »
Apple has chugged along with this midas touch of theirs. God Bless em'

No external storage, no desktop apps or OSX. Of course they're not going to make a $500 item that can compete directly with their Laptops. Or a $300 item to compete directly with their ipods.

Why would I get this over a 1st gen intel macbook? Or God forbid A PC LAPTOP.
I get the same feeling I had with the APPLE TV. It's not the best at what it's trying to do.

No matter what apple says I can run Photoshop 7 or CS1 on my netbook. I put a touchscreen in there, increased the ram to 2 gigs macosx total cost $450 almost a year ago, and I can swap out the ram, Hard drive, use expresscard cards...

even their 15"macbooks don't have such abilities.
They are appealing to folks with disposable time, and income.
Now if I can somehow use this as a second display with touch capability for my MacBook then it's worth it's value as a WACOM cintiq display (the crummy small one) costs like $1000.

Offline Crom00

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 04:41:18 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;540416
Yep. They would have had a sale right here if it ran OSX. I would have ordered it today. If some nifty programs appear I might reconsider, but I think I'll get myself a Mac Mini instead.

You know the Iphone has Remot access app to access OSX and Windows PC and despiste some quirks it supposedlt works well. Now this tablet is starting to look appealing.

In my work, if I can edit video remotely, or use Zbrush or Painter/ Photoshop without LAG then we shall see. Interesting. If this works well and they tout this ability they'll have a home run.

I've never used remote desktop apps so I don't know the quirks involved.

Offline Crom00

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 01:54:14 PM »
Quote from: JJ;540442
Suprised bloodline not sprung to the ipads defence yet :)

iPad, someone commented they waiting for the next version with wings :)

Well I'd rather spend $500 on something like the IPAD then $260 for a CPU card without a FPU card. Or a Sam.

I really appreciate Amiga Forever running on my Quad Core 3 ghz machine.

Offline Crom00

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 02:22:43 PM »
Quote from: JJ;540570
Pretty sure he was talking about using the iPad in supermarkets

How is it going to be used in supermarkets? This isn't a traditional computing device. EVERY app goes through apples approvals. You can't just develop an app or customize the OS for a customers needs like Linux.

I gotta hand it to them. They've vamboozled the industry into accepting their totally closed method of software and content distribution. This is like the holy grail of media companies out there. They've created the gold standard for music sales online.

Also check out the fact that they'e rolling their own CPU. Tramiel style vertical integration. But they charge as much as possible instead of competing on the lowest price, something Tramiel never achieved.

Pretty cool. As an artist this thing could be great for creative types. Artists typically spend hundreds on paints, and say...a portable french easyl. I dropped $500 for a setup in the late 90's. This thing can achieve the same outcome (painted images from life) for a one time $500 fee, (plus extra for apps) but there's no physical paint, no brushes and the messy costs associated with maintaining such a setup.... (a decent brush is $20 or more) you need 5 or 6, plus all the paint that runs out.. Do the math.

Expect art students to use these as as standard. So there you go. IT's the creative types and business types that will adopt this into a workflow and bring it home, making it's use pervasive.

Even if it has problems they can do a refresh and fix whatever is wrong and still come out golden.

Offline Crom00

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 02:43:22 PM »
The folks who do those kind of retail deals make their money using off the shelf commodity hardware and a proprietary solution using linux or windows as a starting point. Look at Apple and how they do business. You think they'll be cool with someone charging top dollar using the Ipad as a platform for retail sales. HELL NO!

If I was rolling this kind of product I'd use an Archos Windows 7 ipad equivalent. At least I can install linux on that, and I get get full UESABLE pc for $50 more.

Apples kinda funny the bash the idea of a desktop OS on a pad. But folks who live in the "real world" want the power of a desktop, by power I mean SAME APPLICATIONS as a desktop running on a tablet. They say it just wouldn't work. Nonsense.... They stand to make MORE MONEY with a closed system like this.

The funny thing is the folks on the net becoming "brainwashed" into thinking they need an IPAD.

I use the common man approach. Take the thing on a commuter rail train and ask commuters what they think after using it for a few minutes.

The Amiga would never pass this test because folks would ask... "What the hell is up with the FLICKERING...? I'd never use this thing...I'll go blind!)
Someone actually said that to me when they used an A4000 demo machine at TriState computer in NYC.

Offline Crom00

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 04:59:17 PM »
Quote from: dammy;540588
I'm happy to see Apple push the iPad.  That will mean industry will answer it with one that is not crippled, unlike iPad.

Yep... This will be a great deal for artists who have been teathered to devices like the Wacom Tablet Screens for so long, So many are Mac centric already and this is a natrual for them. I mean Wacom Cintiq displays run $1000 for a 10" sceeen. That's ridculous. Now that "Lawyers" and "businessmen" will be after pad devices you can explect the cost of the tech to lower creating more ompetition. Despite the issues with the device this innovation will eb a good thing.