Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PFS3 is soon to become free and opensource  (Read 30466 times)

Description:

Offline Tenacious

• Show all replies
Re: PFS3 is soon to become free and opensource
« on: April 18, 2010, 02:48:36 AM »
This is excellent!  I've been using PFS2 since it came out and started with AmiFileSafe (predecessor product).  I thought I had missed the opportunity to get PFS3.  Can't wait.

Thank You Michael and Gulliver!

PFS makes 7MHz Amigas feel very fast and responsive.

@ hardlink

I thought DiskSalv for PFS3 was in the works years ago, but, was never completed.  I have lost HDs that simply had to be reformatted.  Now I run with 2 identicale drives and back one to the other.

Offline Tenacious

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 04:32:22 AM »
I can only blame my inability to express myself.  

The HDs, after many years, developed bad sectors (I got the HDs used, too).  At the time I was convinced this was brought on by the writing and re-writing of temp files that iBrowse caches onto a small partition.  As a result, I now try never to store those files on a HD.  Since they are soon obsolete anyway, I have only allowed them to gather on the ram disk since then.

The point is that PFS was not at fault.  The HD was.

My only concern was I never found a way to reformat that one bad partition.  After a while, that lost 100megs (out of 4 Gigs, grin) started bothering me.   IIRC, the Amiga wouldn't recognize it to reformat.   I had to move all data (on the other partitions) to another HD.  Then the whole drive could be re-formated, repartitioned, and it then served many more years.  This may have nothing to do with PFS.

To be clear, I think PFS is the fastest and most reliable file system I've used on the Amiga.  If data is important, having backups is fundamental, regardless of the file system it's indexed with.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 04:37:38 AM by Tenacious »

Offline Tenacious

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 04:42:36 AM »
Quote from: whiteb;561795
YOU GOT TO BE JOKING ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We all were under the belief this was to be released to the AMIGA COMMUNITY, starting with a version on AMINET, and it gets handed lock stock and barrel over to AmigaFuture ?

Joke right ?

Nice going Gulliver, you just allowed Andreas ToolBox to pull the rug out from underneath your feet.

You did the work, Andreas gets all the credit, and AF magazines sold, I credit you with the effort and work to get PFS released, but thats just *STUPID* to let Andreas steal it from you.

Oh god you have NO IDEA how ANGRY I am at you for allowing it to slip away to AF.  AF is COMMERCIAL, so much for releasing it to Public domain for NON COMMERCIAL purposes.

It is unfair to put this on Gulliver.  It seems he acted in good faith for all of us.  How is he responsible for what the other two parties choose to do?

Offline Tenacious

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 05:06:11 AM »
Thank you, Gulliver, for your efforts for our community and for your good intentions.  

Maybe this can still work out, but if not, I think you acted in good faith.  

Andreas has never been on my radar.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 05:11:05 AM by Tenacious »

Offline Tenacious

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 04:37:47 AM »
The whole situation is disappointing.  An anouncement is made, and then an information vacuum.

I have PFS 2 but would love upgrade.