Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PFS3 is soon to become free and opensource  (Read 30157 times)

Description:

Offline Tenacious

• Show only replies by Tenacious
Re: PFS3 is soon to become free and opensource
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2010, 05:06:11 AM »
Thank you, Gulliver, for your efforts for our community and for your good intentions.  

Maybe this can still work out, but if not, I think you acted in good faith.  

Andreas has never been on my radar.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 05:11:05 AM by Tenacious »

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2010, 05:54:51 AM »
Wow!  No idea that this guy was such a dirtbag.  What a bummer :(

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2010, 11:26:44 AM »
I think certain people are blowing things out of proportion on this thread.  So what if AF magazine want to feature it on the cover-disk so that people can get it easily, as long as it's also available from other sources then it doesn't matter.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline warpdesign

• Show only replies by warpdesign
    • http://www.warpdesign.fr
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2010, 12:07:56 PM »
I fail to see the problem. If PFS3 gets *open-sourced*, then it wouldn't be a problem to take the sources from AF CD and release it to Aminet, or anywhere else, right ?

Unless some weird licence is added while going through the AF CD that prevents that. But PFS3's author can't get fooled this way, right ?

I'm always amazed at how people talk about money, profit,... in such a tiny community where there shouldn't be *any* money involved at all.

Offline whiteb

• Show only replies by whiteb
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2010, 12:33:32 PM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;561869
I think certain people are blowing things out of proportion on this thread.  So what if AF magazine want to feature it on the cover-disk so that people can get it easily, as long as it's also available from other sources then it doesn't matter.

*IF* it gets released say on Aminet AT THE SAME TIME, but you watch for the words "AF EXCLUSIVE"...

Thats the DOGSHIT in this case, and of course, the DOG being ANDREASM.
A4000D - CSMKII//128MB/IDE CF/Indivision Scandoubler
A1200
A1000

(And now a Minimig) :>)

Offline whiteb

« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2010, 12:52:30 PM »
Quote from: warpdesign;561872
I fail to see the problem. If PFS3 gets *open-sourced*, then it wouldn't be a problem to take the sources from AF CD and release it to Aminet, or anywhere else, right ?

Unless some weird licence is added while going through the AF CD that prevents that. But PFS3's author can't get fooled this way, right ?

I'm always amazed at how people talk about money, profit,... in such a tiny community where there shouldn't be *any* money involved at all.

No, its not that.., if you MADE the software, such as in this case, Michael Pelt then you DESERVE to be rewarded.  In this case, Michael has made his intentions to release it to Aminet (Via Gulliver), but now its going to be an Exclusive AF release ?

I just came out of an online chat with other people, and Yes, they too have read this thread, and they are as outraged as I am.  AndreasM has been and probably still is in the practice of selling (For profit) Workbench/Kickstart..... ILLEGALLY, as he has this God like Ego where he THINKS he has the right to do it, and at this time probably thinks he OWNS the brand AMIGA..., but he believes he does not have to PROVE he owns the items.  (Yes he actually said that, "I Dont have to PROVE to you I own ....xxxx...".

Heck, Michael in his emails to Gulliver expressed that source (And I assume the binaries) was to be released in to Public Domain, with the distinct expression "NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USES".  Well, using AF to release PFS3, is about as COMMERCIAL as you can get it.  And the GOD of copyright infringement himself of all people.  There are even people calling out for AndreasM to be BANNED, at least from EAB.
A1200
A1000

Offline GulliverTopic starter

« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2010, 01:27:24 PM »
Well, it seems this subject has brought some debate.

First, let me clarify my intentions which have remained the same since the begining of this PFS3 affair:
I already own, since a few years, a legal copy of PFS3, and so basicly, all I wanted is to ask the developer to relese it for free so that all users could enjoy the same excellent filesystem I was using, which I still believe to be the best on Amigas. I also asked him for the sourcecode. I am not a coder, and I havent got the skills to tinker with it, but I thought it would be great for further improvements, bugfixes, updates, and the possibility of being ported to other Amigoid OSes, so that it could even run natively on them.

So, my idea was purely for the benefit of the entire Amiga community (Amig68k, OS4, MorphOS, AROS, etc), no matter how bitter, twisted or divided it is. I dont gain a single thing from this, and I really dont expect credit to be given to me, I am not after it, and it really doesnt mean anything.
It was just an act of good will from an Amiga fan :)

I am truly sorry if some of you feel that I had taken the wrong decision regarding the fact that I gave the email address of Mr. Pelt to AndreasM. But I thought it was a step in the right direction (making PFS3 availble), perhaps I was too naive, I really dont know.

Bottomline: I know PFS3 will be released both as binary and sourcecode, for free, for everyone, as intended. It will just be a matter of time. And the rest, well, it is upto you to be the judge.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2010, 01:39:32 PM »
Quote from: Gulliver;561886
I also asked him for the sourcecode. I am not a coder, and I havent got the skills to tinker with it, but I thought it would be great for further improvements, bugfixes, updates

I see a great danger here. Different factions creating their own, incompatible versions.

the possibility of being ported to other Amigoid OSes, so that it could even run natively on them.

So finally the other OSes could join the MorphOS club: MorphOS has been able to use PFS3 since the beginning.

Considering how bad SFS is this would be great indeed.

PS. Personally I doubt that getting ported to native code would benefit the performance: Filesystems are greatly bound by the I/O for their performance not filesystem code execution speed.

Offline GulliverTopic starter

« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2010, 01:45:05 PM »
@Piru
I am not a coder, and I see you have valid arguments. Well... it was one of my naive ideas :)

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2010, 01:50:58 PM »
Aint PFS3 written in 68k asm or am I mistaken?
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2010, 02:02:24 PM »
Quote from: itix;561893
Aint PFS3 written in 68k asm or am I mistaken?

I've done some manual patching to fix some issues and the disassembly looks C to me. I bet there are some asm optimizations here and there though.

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2010, 02:27:20 PM »
Quote from: whiteb;561881

I just came out of an online chat with other people, and Yes, they too have read this thread, and they are as outraged as I am.  AndreasM has been and probably still is in the practice of selling (For profit) Workbench/Kickstart..... ILLEGALLY, as he has this God like Ego where he THINKS he has the right to do it, and at this time probably thinks he OWNS the brand AMIGA..., but he believes he does not have to PROVE he owns the items.  (Yes he actually said that, "I Dont have to PROVE to you I own ....xxxx...".

I would like to have some more background here, I really would like to know the facts.
Actually Andreas is right: he does not have to prove to you that he owns something he sells. He does have to do it to people who claim to own something themselves; even before court if they can't solve it in another manner. Of course you are free to not buy from him.

greets,
Staf.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline wizard66

• Show only replies by wizard66
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2010, 11:17:32 AM »
Quote from: Dwyloc;553726
Thanks for the reminder that PFS3 works on a 68000 based Amiga as I own and use a Minimig with a 68000 and arm addon board it sounds like PFS3 would be a better option than using FFS on my little Amiga clone if it dose become free :-)

I can Confirm that PFS3 is working on the minimig just fine.
I digged up a version from PFS3 on one of my cd's
-=* Homemade Minimig\'s Build 09 *=-

1x FPGAARCADE Replay v1.0B (Inside a A590 case)
Dreaming of 1x FPGAArcade Daughter-board :-) (inline from day 1)
1x A600

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2010, 12:52:48 AM »
Any more info as to this issue?

Offline whiteb

« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2010, 01:02:05 AM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;562152
Any more info as to this issue?

You will not get any information now that it has been handed over to AndreasM, for inclusion with AF.  Its not FREE any more, its been given lock stock and barrel to AmigaFuture.

AndreasM has stated in a (Now Deleted by AndreasM) post on EAB, that it is a NON-EXCLUSIVE release on the coverdisk of AF, but Pelt asked him *NOT* to put it up for free on the download section of the website.  Given that Pelt Intends (or Intended) to upload it to Aminet, why would he all of a sudden deny the files being HOSTED, FOR FREE download from the AF website.

Once again, AndreasM is doing some crap talking, after all, why come out of the closet and state that it is NON EXCLUSIVE, then go back and delete all the text from the post ?
A1200
A1000

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #74 from previous page: May 31, 2010, 02:23:42 AM »
Quote from: whiteb;562153
You will not get any information now that it has been handed over to AndreasM, for inclusion with AF.  Its not FREE any more, its been given lock stock and barrel to AmigaFuture.

AndreasM has stated in a (Now Deleted by AndreasM) post on EAB, that it is a NON-EXCLUSIVE release on the coverdisk of AF, but Pelt asked him *NOT* to put it up for free on the download section of the website.  Given that Pelt Intends (or Intended) to upload it to Aminet, why would he all of a sudden deny the files being HOSTED, FOR FREE download from the AF website.

Once again, AndreasM is doing some crap talking, after all, why come out of the closet and state that it is NON EXCLUSIVE, then go back and delete all the text from the post ?

Sounds very ambiguous to me.  Pelt may not have wanted PFS3 on AF website for a lot of reasons, none of which mean that PFS3 will not be available for free on websites like Aminet.

best wait until Pelt actually makes a statement on PFS3