Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 4: Timberwolf Goes Open Source  (Read 5041 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaOldskoolerTopic starter

• a.k.a Puni/Void
    • Show only replies by AmigaOldskooler
    • Old School Game Blog
AmigaOS 4: Timberwolf Goes Open Source
« on: October 30, 2015, 05:59:16 PM »
The Frieden-brothers have  decided to make the Amiga Firefox port called Timberwolf open source! A  very good move, I must say.

http://oldschoolgameblog.com/2015/10/30/amigaos-4-timberwolf-goes-open-source/

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: AmigaOS 4: Timberwolf Goes Open Source
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 06:18:15 PM »
Quote from: AmigaOldskooler;798468
The Frieden-brothers have  decided to make the Amiga Firefox port called Timberwolf open source! A  very good move, I must say.

http://oldschoolgameblog.com/2015/10/30/amigaos-4-timberwolf-goes-open-source/

So...does anyone want to source code to a dated port of Firefox (without any documentation)?

I think I heard some crickets.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 07:17:16 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;798470
So...does anyone want to source code to a dated port of Firefox (without any documentation)?

You don't think that us non-Friedens can/will learn something about how to fit more recent Mozilla code into OS4 by viewing this code and comparing with Mozilla baseline from that time period? As Thomas mentioned in his post, build documentation is forthcoming as well.
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline Iggy

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 07:40:34 PM »
Quote from: billt;798475
You don't think that us non-Friedens can/will learn something about how to fit more recent Mozilla code into OS4 by viewing this code and comparing with Mozilla baseline from that time period? As Thomas mentioned in his post, build documentation is forthcoming as well.

That is a heck of a task you are proposing without the documentation to tell you what the Brothers did to the original source code.
But we might as well be optimistic.

Good luck to anyone that wants to try it.

BTW - Even a MorphOS user can admit to you that the Friedens are fairly competent, and they have lost interest in it.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 08:12:10 PM »
Not only a pretty outdated port, but one that was pretty unstable.

It took how many years for them to make it open source, I cannot imagine how many more years it will take for them to free its documentation.

I dare to say it is useless at best.

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 01:16:44 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;798477
That is a heck of a task you are proposing without the documentation to tell you what the Brothers did to the original source code.
But we might as well be optimistic.

In this day and age with source code version management systems like git this should not be such an humongous task as you like to present it.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline Yasu

• Show only replies by Yasu
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 02:31:43 PM »
But why now and why did they wait so long?

Offline buzz

• Show only replies by buzz
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 06:14:06 PM »
Quote from: Fats;798517
In this day and age with source code version management systems like git this should not be such an humongous task as you like to present it.

Considering there is zero source history included here, neither for firefox, nor the amigaos changes, how does git help with the documentation for the code that has already been done ? :)

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 07:25:40 PM »
Why wasn't it open source to begin with?  At last then if they had lost interest in it, it could have been worked on by others all this time.  Not to mention, doesn't the MPL require that?  I'm not sure, since I haven't really dealt a lot with it.

What would be nice is if it could be 'leanified' enough to run on a 68k machine, but I suppose we have netsurf for that.  Firefox is a bit on the fat side for it.

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 02:18:51 AM »
Quote from: Fats;798517

You would know better than me Staf.
I was offered the source code to a well known Amiga program over a year ago.
Even with an Apple port handy, it looked like a mess to figure out.

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 03:47:06 PM »
Quote from: buzz;798532
Considering there is zero source history included here, neither for firefox, nor the amigaos changes, how does git help with the documentation for the code that has already been done ? :)

I assume the original code where they started from is available and then the final released code. You can import both in git with the second over the first and you then can easily see the OS4 changes. For a programmer worth it's name and familiar with the Amiga(OS) API that should already tell a lot even without documentation. You should even be able to do this in subversion but git will allow you to split up the big patch in smaller patches much easier. The latter does need quite deep knowledge of git features as history rewriting etc. though.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline Iggy

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2015, 06:54:44 PM »
Thanks Staf,
I know know why so many use that.
I'll add it to my list of tools.

Offline buzz

• Show only replies by buzz
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2015, 07:42:46 PM »
Quote from: Fats;798576
I assume the original code where they started from is available and then the final released code. You can import both in git with the second over the first and you then can easily see the OS4 changes. For a programmer worth it's name and familiar with the Amiga(OS) API that should already tell a lot even without documentation. You should even be able to do this in subversion but git will allow you to split up the big patch in smaller patches much easier. The latter does need quite deep knowledge of git features as history rewriting etc. though.

Well you need to find the extract revision their code is based from (perhaps there is some information in the repository to point to this), you could then reconstruct at least the firefox history part, and then apply the amigaos changes on top. But my basic point was that it looks as though they didn't go our their way to make this easy - I'm sure they used source control themselves (who would work on such a big source without it ?), so where is it. It would be very useful to see the changelog of the AmigaOS parts.

Thanks for the git lesson ;-)