Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: [Vampire] The AMIGA Future Is NOW! AROS!  (Read 3397 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: [Vampire] The AMIGA Future Is NOW! NG-AMIGA-OS!
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2017, 01:42:00 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;825782
AROS always worked on old amiga hardware

Great statement of the obvious (fact is it really needs something powerful like an A4000 if you're not using a Vampire), but again, the thread is about running AROS on Vampire equipped hardware.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline mikej

• Show only replies by mikej
    • http://www.fpgaarcade.com
Re: [Vampire] The AMIGA Future Is NOW! AROS!
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 02:47:50 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;825783
Is Mike still around here? Would be interesting to see if he'll be able to/want to add the SAGA code to the FPGA Arcade boards.

Hi, sometimes yes.

I've no idea what SAGA is? If it's documented / open source then potentially, I see it as a 3rd party add-in to the original machines, much like an RTG graphics card.

I'm trying to model the original hardware/CPU as accurate as possible. Additions I have made, such as expanding the address range of chipset memory pointers for example, are configurable.

I'm spending time working on a Slower CPU which is more accurate :)
(and the rasp pi compute module running just CPU emulation)

/Mike

Offline nicholas

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 03:48:18 PM »
Quote from: mikej;825786
Hi, sometimes yes.

I've no idea what SAGA is? If it's documented / open source then potentially, I see it as a 3rd party add-in to the original machines, much like an RTG graphics card.

I'm trying to model the original hardware/CPU as accurate as possible. Additions I have made, such as expanding the address range of chipset memory pointers for example, are configurable.

I'm spending time working on a Slower CPU which is more accurate :)
(and the rasp pi compute module running just CPU emulation)

/Mike

It's a Verilog clone of the AGA chipset but with extra features that weren't part of the original chipset. In the thread linked below Gunnar announced he's open sourcing it.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 05:51:28 PM »
cool to have AROS be vampirzed too :)
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline mikej

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2017, 06:50:23 PM »
I just read the thread. We already have two hdl implementations of the AGA chipset, mine and the minimig derived one. We have extensions such as extra memory, RTG, AHI audio etc already.

I guess the game here is to add propriety extra features and build a new platform, but that potentially breaks back compatibility. For them it makes sense to open source that part of the design to encourage people to use those features. Personally I'm much more interested in a new, cycle accurate (and high performance compatible) open source CPU, which is what we are working towards.
Why not just compile AROS to cheap modern CPU platforms?
/Mike

Offline ribdevil1

• Show only replies by ribdevil1
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2017, 09:08:10 PM »
Open Source Amiga, don't exists.
It's Amiga or not.

AROS = Amiga REPLACEMENT O.S.

So, it's "like" but.
Viva AMIGA:roflmao:
Amiga 1200 -Blizzapd PPC + BVision + Mediator OS 3.9 + OS 4.0 Classic
SAM 440 Flex 800Mhz + 1Gb + Ati 9250 OS4.1u2
AmigaOne X5000 + 8Gb + Radeon R9 270

It\'s my new CHAMELEON 64 A C64 or an AMIGA ?

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2017, 09:37:09 PM »
Quote from: ribdevil1;825803
It's Amiga or not.

So, it's "like" but.

its amiga it runs on, and it runs amiga software on it, which is all that matters to me.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2017, 09:39:46 PM »
Quote from: ribdevil1;825803
It's Amiga or not.

So, it's "like" but.

Amiga is hardware.
AROS is software.
AROS runs on Amiga hardware.
Your problem is?
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2017, 09:44:04 PM »
Quote from: mikej;825796
I just read the thread. We already have two hdl implementations of the AGA chipset, mine and the minimig derived one. We have extensions such as extra memory, RTG, AHI audio etc already.

I guess the game here is to add propriety extra features and build a new platform, but that potentially breaks back compatibility. For them it makes sense to open source that part of the design to encourage people to use those features. Personally I'm much more interested in a new, cycle accurate (and high performance compatible) open source CPU, which is what we are working towards.
/Mike

I must say I'm more interested in the ARM board being made to run a 68k emulator and appear as a real 68k cpu to the Amiga than anything else at the moment.

As i understand it the SAGA core is fully backward compatible with the original AGA chipset though.

Offline ribdevil1

• Show only replies by ribdevil1
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2017, 10:01:17 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;825806
Amiga is hardware.
AROS is software.
AROS runs on Amiga hardware.
Your problem is?

I don't have any problem.
But I call the things by his name.
Amiga is hardware and his OS.
Others is "like".
Viva AMIGA:roflmao:
Amiga 1200 -Blizzapd PPC + BVision + Mediator OS 3.9 + OS 4.0 Classic
SAM 440 Flex 800Mhz + 1Gb + Ati 9250 OS4.1u2
AmigaOne X5000 + 8Gb + Radeon R9 270

It\'s my new CHAMELEON 64 A C64 or an AMIGA ?

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2017, 10:06:46 PM »
Quote from: ribdevil1;825808

exactly. in this case the os is aros. simple, really.

Offline mikej

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2017, 08:34:17 AM »
"
Quote from: nicholas;825807
I must say I'm more interested in the ARM board being made to run a 68k emulator and appear as a real 68k cpu to the Amiga than anything else at the moment.
though.

This is what I'm doing. The FPGA will have a cycle accurate 68000/20 based closely on the original device, probably with some optional speed ups similar to the current design.

The 68060 add on board is pretty much done, and I'm playing with the PI compute module as a fast 68060 emulator. It has something called SMI which allows me to directly connect it to the FPGA. As the PI is just running the CPU, it's very fast even on a single core.

David has been doing some excellent bare-metal work here emulating the 6502.

https://github.com/hoglet67/PiTubeDirect

Offline polyp2000

• Show only replies by polyp2000
    • https://soundcloud.com/polyp/sets/polyp-2013
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2017, 10:03:13 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;825807

As i understand it the SAGA core is fully backward compatible with the original AGA chipset though.

you might change your mind if this ever happens :

"But we actually want to reach more.
We know that we can put APOLLO in to an ASIC.
And we know that then we can compete and beat even G3/G4/.. latest PowerPC or ARM Asics in performance."

(citation : ) http://www.apollo-core.com/knowledge.php?b=1¬e=5768

Offline nicholas

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2017, 10:21:20 AM »
Quote from: ribdevil1;825808
I don't have any problem.
Amiga is hardware and his OS.
Others is "like".

No, Amiga is hardware. There are many OS's that run on Amiga hardware. An Amiga doesn't stop being an Amiga because you run Linux/MINIX/BSD/MorphOS/TOS/AROS on it.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2017, 10:24:56 AM »
Quote from: mikej;825819
"

This is what I'm doing. The FPGA will have a cycle accurate 68000/20 based closely on the original device, probably with some optional speed ups similar to the current design.

The 68060 add on board is pretty much done, and I'm playing with the PI compute module as a fast 68060 emulator. It has something called SMI which allows me to directly connect it to the FPGA. As the PI is just running the CPU, it's very fast even on a single core.

David has been doing some excellent bare-metal work here emulating the 6502.

https://github.com/hoglet67/PiTubeDirect

Looks good!

Are there any of the x86-based RPi style boards that have similar SMI functionality? I've always fantasised about an accelerator card that was nothing but a screaming fast x86 running a CPU emulator. :)

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #29 from previous page: May 16, 2017, 11:38:00 AM »
Quote from: mikej;825796

/Mike

Where do I start?

• AROS runs hosted on Linux on the RasPi already.  There's hardly any software that runs on ARM AROS.  Same goes for x86 and AMD64.
  • Running UAE4ARM on a RasPi 3 is good enough to emulate an A1200 quite well already.
  • The SAGA core implements the chunky and YUV modes as a third playfield by re-purposing a register in AGA that was intended for a greyscale monitor that was never produced.  It's not a separate RTG mode, it's all integrated.  THat's actually the main reason for AROS: new graphics drivers that work as one.
  • Since the closed-source 68080 core performs as well per clock as a Core2 Solo, it'll keep up with the modern systems quite nicely!  Especially when compared to an ancient 68060 clocked at twice the clock speed!  Note:  The minimum clock speed of the '080 is 78 MHz already so I hope you can clock your 68060 board at a minimum of 144 MHz...  ;-)