Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ZXAM Spectrum Emulator  (Read 1025 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaBrunoTopic starter

ZXAM Spectrum Emulator
« on: August 18, 2013, 07:55:33 AM »
I've recently been trying out the ZXAM Spectrum emulator on my Amiga
A1200. It was distributed by 17 Bit software and requires a 68020 and AGA chipset to run. It implements the original Spectrum 48K BASIC where each key has about 5 functions, but you don't type in the keywords letter by letter. There is a pic of the original ZX Spectrum calculator type keyboard built in to the software, which comes up when you press the HELP key. Unfortunately, I can't work out how to key in any of the commands which appear in RED on the keyboard. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Offline spirantho

Re: ZXAM Spectrum Emulator
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 08:16:11 AM »
Same way as you do on a real Spectrum, surely?
Keywords - just press the letter when the cursor is a K
Letters - ditto when the cursor is a L
Red (on key) - Hold down SYMBOL SHIFT and press the letter
Green (above key) - Go to EXTENDED MODE (press both Shifts together so the cursor changes to E) and press the letter
Red (below key) - Go to EXTENDED MODE, hold down either SHIFT and press the letter.

I think that should work :)
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline AmigaBrunoTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 08:42:23 AM »
Quote from: spirantho;745097
Same way as you do on a real Spectrum, surely?
Keywords - just press the letter when the cursor is a K
Letters - ditto when the cursor is a L
Red (on key) - Hold down SYMBOL SHIFT and press the letter
Green (above key) - Go to EXTENDED MODE (press both Shifts together so the cursor changes to E) and press the letter
Red (below key) - Go to EXTENDED MODE, hold down either SHIFT and press the letter.

I think that should work :)

OK, thanks, but I never owned a Spectrum and never learnt how to use a Spectrum keyboard! I'll try to get the hang of it. I managed to get this software to display the K cursor, the L cursor, and the E cursor, but I'm not sure if I got any more than that, or if there are any more. Have you used this software? The author said he developed it on a Spanish version A1200, so perhaps I need to use the Spanish keymap as well. Do you know which key on the A1200 keyboard is used as SYMBOL SHIFT, though?

Offline spirantho

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 08:50:19 AM »
Yes, it is a little confusing if you've never used a Spectrum before!

I can't remember how ZXAM maps the keys (though I used it a lot on my A1200, I remember). However, it'll be one of the shift, ctrl or alt keys.
Find out by pressing REM (type E with a K cursor), then press another letter like P with various keys. If you get a 'p' then it's no shifted. If you get a 'P' it's CAPS SHIFT you're holding down, and if it's a quote ' " ' then it's SYMBOL SHIFT you're holding. Go into Extended Mode by pressing CAPS SHIFT and SYMBOL SHIFT together and you'll see the cursor change to 'E'. Then just press a key to get the word above the letter, or hold down one of the shift keys to get the word below the letter.

I think that makes sense. :) You'll get used to it before long, though.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!