Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New twitter client for classic Amigas, any beta testers?  (Read 9336 times)

Description:

Offline Rebel-CD32

• Show only replies by Rebel-CD32
Re: New twitter client for classic Amigas, any beta testers?
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 08:11:13 AM »
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I was trying this on my other A1200 with 64MB RAM. We have several Amigas set up for software development and testing here. If I can figure out a way to go online through a null-modem cable on the 8MB A1200 I could test if it worked or not since the program loads up in that much RAM, but using my PCMCIA network card reduces it to 5.5MB.

I'm running the same Workbench 3.1 setup on both machines I've tested it on so far. Cammy is also testing it on her 030 A1200 with 64MB so hopefully she'll feel up to posting her results too.

Edit: Here's the log file from the results, the program failed again after trying to load the feed: http://pastebin.com/VTmiKTue
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 08:24:30 AM by Rebel-CD32 »
Amiga user forever.

Offline ciVicTopic starter

• Show only replies by ciVic
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 08:42:45 AM »
Quote from: Rebel-CD32;681509

Edit: Here's the log file from the results, the program failed again after trying to load the feed: http://pastebin.com/VTmiKTue

It really looks like a problem with the libxml2. Page loading was successful, but when the xml file is passed to the libxml2 it crashes before anything can be found in the file. Ok many thanx, I will try to find a setup where I have the same problem, maybe I should try OS 3.1.

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 12:34:01 PM »
very good job!

btw ... what version of ixemul.library are you using?

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 04:22:03 PM »
Version of my ixemul.library  is 63.1. Maybe your ixemul is too old, Rebel-CD32?

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 04:57:41 PM »
Quote from: Rebel-CD32;681503
There are a bunch of patches and bitmap images you will have to install, but Cammy is working on a theme manager program which will let you easily install and switch between themes. It will be included in our upcoming Workbench pack, you're welcome to test out the current build if you'd like, it will boot up looking like the screenshot. Let me know if you're interested and I'll upload the LHA of the whole system we're building.

I am indeed interested, yes please. I just want a program where if I want to change the entire theme of my system I just go to a website, pick a cool theme I like download it, open the program select this theme, click use...couple of seconds bang my entire OS looks different with a new theme. So if this does it, please, please upload the lha and can you direct me to the location where I can download it? Thanks in advance.

Offline Rebel-CD32

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 05:05:48 PM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;681538
I am indeed interested, yes please. I just want a program where if I want to change the entire theme of my system I just go to a website, pick a cool theme I like download it, open the program select this theme, click use...couple of seconds bang my entire OS looks different with a new theme. So if this does it, please, please upload the lha and can you direct me to the location where I can download it? Thanks in advance.

That's the idea behind it, at least it should be a lot like you describe by the time we're finished, however the current build doesn't have the theme manager because I have only made one theme so far, and I don't think anyone else on the planet wants to make more that will work. I do plan on having at least three themes to choose from including the Silver theme in the screenshot (loosely based on an OS4.1 theme) and I'll include an Ubuntu and Windows XP style theme too, which I made a while ago and just need to touch up a bit before I bundle them up.

I just checked ixemul.library and it's an older version, not sure why I would have such an old version installed, but I guess that's what you get from Aminet these days. I just downloaded the latest version from SourceForge and am about to test it on the Amigas now...
Amiga user forever.

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 05:47:47 PM »
I am looking completely forward for this program....are you going to post the link download in this forum here? Thanks!!!

Offline Hiddenevil

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 07:51:58 PM »
Awesome program! I'll be downloading this to test when i get home.

I wish someone would make a client for wordpress, I post all my classic computer activity on there and would love to type stuff up on my Amiga for a change :)

Offline mendark

• Show only replies by mendark
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2012, 07:57:11 PM »
Quote from: Hiddenevil;681551
Awesome program! I'll be downloading this to test when i get home.

I wish someone would make a client for wordpress, I post all my classic computer activity on there and would love to type stuff up on my Amiga for a change :)

Use a feed importer to import your Twitter status feed. If you'd tweet from your Amiga, it'll be posted automatically on your wordpress blog.

Offline chris

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2012, 08:28:26 PM »
Quote from: ciVic;681453
Since twitter requires OAuth it is not easy to write a client from scratch. Therefore I used some libs like libcurl and libxml2 to get it working.

Have a look at liboauth, might make things easier.

If you find bugs (and I think there will be some) you can post them here. I also do not know what exactly are the minimum requirements. Some MUI classes for sure, and some MB of RAM, but which OS version I'm not sure. Remember to set your username and password in the tooltypes before the first start.

I tried it here on OS4, not expecting it to work due to the ixemul dependency.  After a couple of Grim Reaper alerts (one from bsdsocket, one for HTMLview) which I ignored past, it actually logged me in successfully. I proceeded to load my timeline, which got partway through, and then ixemul threw up an "Abort Trap" error.

Any way you can get rid of the dependency on ixemul?
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2012, 09:32:16 PM »
Quote from: chris;681556

I tried it here on OS4, not expecting it to work due to the ixemul dependency.  After a couple of Grim Reaper alerts (one from bsdsocket, one for HTMLview) which I ignored past, it actually logged me in successfully. I proceeded to load my timeline, which got partway through, and then ixemul threw up an "Abort Trap" error.

Any way you can get rid of the dependency on ixemul?

I'm using libxml2 for parsing the timeline. And libxml2 needs ixemul. So to get rid of ixemul means that libmxl2 must be compiled without.
But these days I'm trying to install OS 4 on my classic Amiga. When it was successful i will try to make a native OS 4 version. As far as I know OS 4 has also a libxml2?

Edit: I've found the xml2.library, seems to be a newer and native version of libxml2. Should try it out.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 09:45:46 PM by ciVic »

Offline Rebel-CD32

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2012, 11:57:22 PM »
I figured out why I had an older version (48.3) of ixemul.library installed, it was the last version to support Amigas without FPUs, and I'm trying to run this on a 56Mhz 030 without FPU. So I installed the latest version of ixemul.library (63.1) on my other A1200, which has a 50Mhz 030 and 128MB RAM and FPU. This time it crashed while it was loading. The main window came up but I got a software failure. I tried it a few times after reboots and still failed.

I have a feeling it's ixemul.library. The current version was made for WinUAE and AFAOS, not real Amigas. It seems these days like the only way to run new Amiga software is with Amikit on a Windows PC, which I don't own and don't want to use.

Here's the debug log from my A1200 with the FPU and the latest ixemul.library. It's odd that the program crashes before I even have a chance to type, send a tweet or click any of the buttons, but it still seems to be trying to retrieve the feed. I don't know... http://pastebin.com/9eVey1RF
Amiga user forever.

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2012, 12:35:08 AM »
I developed it on an emulated Amiga with Amikit, but also tested it many times on my real A4000D with OS 3.9. As I can see in the log, it started normally, you pressed home, the timeline was loaded and it crashed again when it was passed to libxml2. What about the others here? Same problems with libxml2?

Edit: Seems to be an old log. It is 18 h old.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 12:39:10 AM by ciVic »

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2012, 01:08:21 AM »
Quote from: ciVic;681561
I developed it on an emulated Amiga with Amikit, but also tested it many times on my real A4000D with OS 3.9. As I can see in the log, it started normally, you pressed home, the timeline was loaded and it crashed again when it was passed to libxml2. What about the others here? Same problems with libxml2?

Edit: Seems to be an old log. It is 18 h old.

Wait. You are making Amiga software on a PC? What kind of treachery is this? This i do not approve  :madashell:

I mean, now we are going to see Amiga software that only works on emulated Amiga's? Genius.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Rebel-CD32

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2012, 01:19:00 AM »
Arghh, sorry about that mate, I pasted the old log accidently. Here's the new log: http://pastebin.com/Jn2HH0Xx

Definitely shorter than the last one.
Amiga user forever.

« Reply #29 from previous page: February 26, 2012, 09:53:31 AM »
Yes that's really short and strange. In line 8 you can see the time twittAmiga retrieved from the OS. It is needed for the signature sent with each twitter request. In line 16 a line of such a request is printed. The line is the string within the brackets. I can see the opening bracket, but it seems that twittAmiga crashed during printing this string on the screen as there is no closing bracket and the time stamp is too short. It should be printed completely on the screen since, as far as I know, the \n at the end of the line causes a flush. So the function that crashed here is the printf. This can happend if there is code that overwrites memory at wrong addresses, like uninitialized pointers.

I will set up an emulated :biglaugh: Amiga with OS 3.1 now and see what happens.

Edit: Blank 3.1 installed (including MUI and ixemul 63.1). Everything works. I admit that an emulated Amiga is not a good test, since some things cannot be tested, e.g. there is no real Amiga TCP/IP stack. Even though I can say the stack of OS 3.9 does not make any problems on my A4000.
Maybe I should take time to set up a real Amiga with 3.1. Which stack do you use?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 10:36:36 AM by ciVic »