Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More GNU/Linux Distros Silently Drop PowerPC  (Read 8286 times)

Description:

Offline Linde

• Show all replies
    • http://hata.zor.org/
Re: More GNU/Linux Distros Silently Drop PowerPC
« on: March 29, 2010, 08:46:47 AM »
Quote from: recidivist;550123
I hate how something that cost thousands of $$$$$$$ and still functions as  it did when new is rendered less useful by supposed advances ,i.e. forced obsolesence.
 People replace perfectly serviceable cars,clothes,computers,and just about everything else  just to keep up with the latest fads.

And how much do you think the manpower required to satisfy these minimal markets is worth?

Sure, use obsolete stuff (I do all the time) but you really shouldn't be surprised or even angry when big company X drops support for obscure hardware Y after years of service. Especially not if it's open source and the developers have to limit their scope to get things done.

You yourself are buying into the "fad" if you are telling yourself that the support drop will render your PPC systems unusable. Will it be less usable than before? No. It's not like your current installation will suddenly stop working. You just won't have to take part of the fad of modern applications that do things a decent PPC system could only dream of.