Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What will drive the New Amiga?  (Read 22909 times)

Description:

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
aros and linux
« on: March 23, 2004, 02:38:28 PM »
aros imho has the potential to be everything that linux is and more.

imagine something for a second: imaging aros is complete and released (it is slowly and surely getting there)

right off there are stong simularities to linux- 1. predominantly x86 but with other ports.
2. limeted hardware driverbase but with active hack support. this is actually something linux is helping with since many hardware developers have already reased info on their products.
3. significant amount of software that only has to be recompilled- linux with unix stuff, aros with amiga stuff. this could be just "basic" release stuff but quite a bit of amiga software is quite advanvced even today.

now look at how they are different:

1. aros will (eventually) be complete. i.e. os with gui and accesories. not just a kernal. most of the fragmentation that has occured in linux is because linux isn't an os. it isnt a complete computeing solution so to speak. aros will be.
2. linux had to fight its roots as a "geek" os or "hackers"os for a long long time it wasnt unit about '98 that it was considered a serious os at all. aros wont have to fight any of that but will have to overcome views mostly of amigans that it isnt complete or sereious.
3.linux was a groundbreaking os that had to go through a lot (of hacking) just to get drivers. aros wont have to go through all that. want to know how to write a driver for a nvidia nforce based card? nvidia has posted info. etcetera for numerous other cards etc.
4. linux is freaking big. froma vga based 386 with sound blaster and some weird network cart. to a top of the line athlon64 system there are drivers for everything. aros doesnt have to be anywhere near as extensive.

i have talked up aros for a long long time and it seems that hard core amigians seem to be the most against it. always talking about os4.0 and stuff. i for one have no faith whatsoever in the companies that have owned the amigaip. i have faith in us. we have kept amiga alive. we have made it better. we are providing its future.

um... amen :-D
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)