Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What will drive the New Amiga?  (Read 22905 times)

Description:

Offline Waccoon

• Show all replies
Re: What will drive the New Amiga?
« on: March 23, 2004, 11:56:12 AM »

Didn't miss it at all. AROS is not a company

Neither is Linux. :)

Linux is more organized than many companies.  Really, I like Linux.  It's XWindows, Gnome, KDE, and the lack of standards that drive me nuts.  Open source developers specialize in making parts, but it takes a company with strong central management to build proper systems for customers.  The more I learn about Linux, the more dumb it seems to me to make a completely new OS.  Why not just make a new shell/desktop for Linux?  Have all the drivers you want!

Windows is so ubiquitous that it is very easy to hack

Everything is "out of the box".  Raw Linux security is a joke.  Enterprise versions of Linux feature lots of security systems similar to Windows, but they'll cost you plenty.

Run any program in your own account, and you can kiss all your files goodbye.  Your system will be plenty safe, though.  :lol:

Note that Netscape use to have a dominate position

Netscape sucked.  It crashed all the time and tried to use CSS when it was completely incapable of handling it, so it often drew blank pages even with fully compliant CSS.

...as I am figuring out.  I've ceased all NS4 support for my website.  It makes me wonder how the 'Net every lived with that damn browser.

We have to get back to basics as to what the Amiga actually was in the beginning.

A toy.  PCs just beeped and printed text.  The Amiga let you make your own graphics, music... and languages like AMOS let you write your own software.  It'd be nice if there were a great set of GFX and GUI libraries and a dumbed-down IDE so people could write their own Java software, and not have to learn the ills of pre-compiled stuff.  I seriously doubt there's a future in anything but interpreted languages.  I've felt that way ever since I got my first copy of AMOS.  An interpreted language with REAL programming structure would be nice.

Comparing Linux to AROS is like comparing Microsoft to AmigaOS: not realistic

Linux and AROS also have different goals.

Living in the past won't make Amigas great again. Something fresh, visionary and innovative is needed, and the need is to look to the future for answers, not the past.

PC's are thousands of times more powerful than they have ever been, and what's the pinicle of technology these days?  Reading webpages!  Text-based e-mail!  Watching tiny movies with crappy sound online!  Today was the future ten years ago.  I think I might puke.

People look towards the future too much, which is why they keep making the same damn mistakes so much.  Take a look at Linux and Windows... and FIX IT!

One things I've always wanted to do is turn on a computer at work and log into my home computer, complete with graphics.  Current solutions revolve around taking screenshots or using good old text terminals.  This is the 21st century, surly we can do better than that?!

Power users care about speed, but not everyone else does if the speed of the processor is irrelevant to the thing they want to do.

Horray!  I don't care if my AmigaOne has an 800Mhz processor and the standard for the PC is a 3Ghz.  I *DO* care if the AmigaOne will cost twice as much as a PC with a 3Ghz processor.  Speed is irrelevent.  Value is.

You have missed my obvious point. WE DON'T NEED TO!!! We need to combine the various features into a single unit that are seamless in a way they aren't on PCs.

Where do you get the drivers?  Modern driver architecture rivals troublesome hardware design.

Note that, mainstream Linux/GNU/KDE/Grome distros(e.g. Red Hat 9, SUSE 9, Mandrake 9.1, Lindows 4.5 and ‘etc’) is pretty bloated.

Huge desktops will do that.  I hate Gnome and KDE.  They pile on the complexity without actually resolving the problem:  standardizing the interface and making the sytsem easier to navigate.  Who cares about gradient buttons and Konqueror when Windows gives you the Control Panel?

Another thing...a trashy web-box with a boingball on it is a TERRIBLE idea...we had those here already 5+ years ago, minus the logo, and they totally bombed.

You can't read Internet pages on a TV!  I don't know why people rave about set-top boxes when we already have desk-top boxes and lap-top boxes.

Make a laptop without a hard drive and battery backed-up RAM, and shrink it to the size of a novel.  That'd be cool.  :-)

We need a central server based machine where it can surf the internet, print and do work, be a gateway, file server, print server for the household.Many many people have more than one computer in the house nowdays.

Linux already makes an awesome server.  It's the client side that needs lots of attention.

Computers with quick startup and instant off, efficient, small, portable...  Leave AmigaServe to run on a Linux box, and make AmigaDE for clients with no bulky, unreliable, power-hungry, "drop it once and you're toast" hard drives.

Surround system: around $400 for a decent one
DVD about $150
Stereo $400
VCR $150
on top of that you have a PC
$900 is about the cheapest you get here and that has no graphics card worth speaking of so add $400 to that
Adds up to say a round figure of $2500.

DVDs, Stereos, and VCRs are purpose-built machines that do one thing well and consistently.  Of course they are cheaper.  A PC will always cost a lot because it has to do a little of everything.  A PDA typically costs $300 or more, and look how tiny it is and how little hardware is inside besides a CPU and a touchscreen.  They're designed to be flexible.

I can tell you this, I would never own a computer valued at $200.  If I want a cheap PC I'll buy a used one.  There's certainly LOTS of obsolete, used computers to choose from.  :-D

Offline Waccoon

• Show all replies
Re: What will drive the New Amiga?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 07:15:09 AM »
I don't find the Amiga 'easy to use' because I'm used to Windows. People purchasing a new machine won't find the Amiga any easier to use than the PC, or Mac for that matter.

Easy-to-use is a vague definition.  What makes a computer easy is how well the documentation is written, and how closely the behavior of the computer mimicks what people EXPECT to happen.  As a studying interface designer, I'm very touchy about usability myths.

Besides, everything is just a clone of the most popular product on the market.  Nobody is going to make a new system from scratch and claim Windows wasn't an inspiration.  Set-top boxes are not easy to use because they don't have familiar methods.  This is what Linux people don't understand.  Who cares if a typical Linux system has a taskbar, icons, and a happy face on the "My Documents" folder?  Try installing new video drivers.  Windows is standardized so all you have to do is run Setup.exe and reboot.  Tell me that's not easy!

Is Mac OS X really inherently more secure than Windows?

Nobody gets security right, except maybe for Java.  Given that your personal files and passwords are a million times more important that your system files, it should be possible to quarantine any application on your system.  Today, the most *ANY* OS will do is divide all security into three groups:  OS, User, and Group.  There needs to be more gray area.  If your UNIX e-mail program runs a script, it has the authority to delete EVERY file in your account, even though it can't touch the OS.  Unix, be default, isn't much better than Windows is you run lousy software, and lousy software is the trademark of a popular computer.  If Windows was the underdog and UNIX ruled the world, you'd see UNIX crashing left and right, and Windows would be rock stable with few security problems.  At least Windows NT offers more levels of security, such as "Backup Operators", and "PowerUsers".  Each user should have his/her own security system that they can apply to each of their own folders and ban certain scripting programs from working with, or even seeing, certain folders.

but Rome replaced Greece as the centre of the civilized world!

Mind explaining why Greece is still here, and Rome is not?  ;-)

"If you build it, they will come!"

Just don't forget to build a hotel on Pennsylvania Avenue instead of one house on Baltic.