Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hello from South Africa  (Read 15725 times)

Description:

Offline rswanie

• Show all replies
Re: Hello from South Africa
« on: February 15, 2013, 09:41:53 AM »
Hi,

Still not sure how i ended up on this forum, but decided to register anyhow.

I'm from South Africa and got an Amiga 2000 in '88 I think.  My Dad worked at Tedelex, which meant we got it at a big staff discount.  It was still R 7000.00 back then which was a huge amount of money in those days.  

I actually still have the Amiga, but it's in my garage and haven't been switched on for years now.  I still remember, having both an old MFM harddrive (accessible through an old mfm controller) as well as a 50 MB scsi hdd that i added, as well as a 68030 expansion card.  I also upped the default 25mhz crystal on the card to a 33mhz crystal (overclocking :) ).

I remember having a peculiar problem with my A2000 in that i had to have my dot matrix printer attached to the parallel port for it to boot up.

After seeing this forum I'm now very tempted to go get it and see if I can get it up and running again.  Think it will need a bit of work though.

First time I told my friends about the Amiga they responded 'Amigo who?'.  And after I showed them the games, I had to endlessly explain why it wouldn't work on their pc's and why their games looked so bad.

Anyhow, let me see if I can fire it up again.....

Offline rswanie

• Show all replies
Re: Hello from South Africa
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 07:54:55 PM »
Quote from: kedawa;726493
I would recommend opening it up and checking for battery leakage before firing it up.  Those things don't last forever.
Good luck!

Thanks for the tip.  I'll do just that.